Are cars legally required to stop for a zebra?

Are cars legally required to stop for a pedestrian crossing a zebra, or is it "up to them"?

I remember in Serbia a few years ago after a long stint in Asia, a car actually stopped when he saw me about to cross a zebra. I remember that I had to smile.

And over the months I spent there, I'd say 99 % of the time cars stopped.

Strange that in a country like Thaiand, where polite manners are highly appreciated in social life, suddenly throw all the poiteness overboard when it comes to traffic.

Edited by berro
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, berro said:

Are cars legally required to stop for a pedestrian crossing a zebra, or is it "up to them"?

I remember in Serbia a few years ago after a long stint in Asia, a car actually stopped when he saw me about to cross a zebra. I remember that I had to smile.

Strange that in a country like Thaiand, where polite manners are highly appreciated in social life, suddenly throw all the poiteness overboard when it comes to traffic.

Living in BKK I'm not convinced it is legally required to stop at a red light...... a % of motor cyclists certainly don't think they have to stop.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

i usually stop at the pedestrian crossing, but i try to halt at least 10 meters before it and signal for them to cross. if a motorbike passes me on either side, i hope there's enough time to brake. sometimes, stopping at a crossing can be more dangerous than not stopping at all.

37 minutes ago, berro said:

That is an interesting question.

Here on Samui, some hotels paint the white lines to make a zebra crossing. They then have a guard with a red flag who jumps out and tries to stop the traffic. Is that a legal crossing?

Back in the UK, the rule for zebra crossings used to be - Car has right of way but can stop if it chooses to. Once the pedestrian is on the crossing, all traffic must stop. Pedestrian has right of way. The bit that pedestrians tended to ignore is the first part. The pedestrian had to wait until there was a gap in the traffic.

I understand that new traffic law changes have now updated that law in the UK.

Just now, motdaeng said:

i usually stop at the pedestrian crossing, but i try to halt at least 10 meters before it and signal for them to cross. if a motorbike passes me on either side, i hope there's enough time to brake. sometimes, stopping at a crossing can be more dangerous than not stopping at all.

I've stopped doing that......I've had too many cars overtake as I sit there waiting for a pedestrian to cross......my nerves were getting shot to pieces. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Driving my bike in town 1 lane each way I stopped at a well marked zebra with red paint near the school, in the middle of the lane. 3 schoolgirls started to cross the road 2 seconds later somchai on his moto drove past me on my left side, the look on girls faces was full of disgust, but they were smart enough to pause half-way. Idiots everywhere

Edited by Tim K
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I've stopped doing that......I've had too many cars overtake as I sit there waiting for a pedestrian to cross......my nerves were getting shot to pieces. 

i do agree with that. if there are more than one line in both directions, i will not stop because it's much too dangerous ...

• Thanks 1

All vehicles have to stop if someone is on the crossing, the fine is 4,000 baht.

Part of the problem is pedestrians, they stand on the crossing meekly for minutes waiting for traffic to stop and it never does.

Pedestrians need to be much more assertive but careful.

I regularly cross 2 zebra crossings when going to hospital appointments. Many is the time I stride past people standing meekly waiting for traffic to stop and in the process forcing drivers to brake sharply. I’m always ready to jump if they don’t stop. 

Learned behaviour is the problem here.

Edited by JBChiangRai
Look up exact fine
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1