Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

This is getting ridiculous, 30 minutes after I post a reminder not to discuss other posters, but to discuss the topic, another poster again chooses to ignore the forum rules and continue in the same vain.

Warnings will be issued to anyone who wishes to continue to break forum rules.

I am not censoring debate, but removing posts that are not discussing the topic. If you have a different opinion challenge it, not discuss others.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

I disagree. The issue is that you certainly provide some good factual content but sometimes mixed with your opinions presented as facts/undeniable truth, and it's difficult for the readers to sort things out. It just appears that several other posters don't share some of your opinions and feel the need to challenge your assertions. There's no cabal.

There was, for the longest time, a notice at the top of the thread that clearly stated that the thread contained only individual opinions.  That should hardly be necessary and should go without saying because the forum rules clearly say that factual statements in threads such as this, must be supported by a supportive link. Rule 5 says:

"In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source".

https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

That means that everything that is written in the thread is opinion, unless there is a supportive link, does that really come as any surprise to anyone!

So what's the beef? If people don't like somebody's opinion, disagree with it, isn't that what people are supposed to do here! And if people can't separate the fact from the opinion, based on the links provided, perhaps they are over their heads trying to participate here and shouldn't.

If somebody wants to challenge statements that I portray as fact, read the link provided.  If there's no link, it must be opinion, if you don't like it or have a different one, say so (if you want) or else ignore it. I'm going to make some assumptions from time to time that the simple obvious things in life are accepted as fact, without having to provide links but if somebody feels the need to see one (and I know some of you will do this relentlessly) feel free to ask for one.

This is pretty basic modus operandi. don't you think!!!

10 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

I know some have been stopped because they’re flagged for audit but they have been lodging returns.

I read somewhere that an audit can take a few years to be completed, what happened in this instance?

Was the person allowed to travel or forced to remain in Thailand and therefore forced to become a tax resident?

Edited by ukrules

17 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Indeed, truly shocking is it not! 

You'll all need to find a new lightening rod to keep you entertained.

to stay true to the metaphor a lightening rod is specificaly designed for one job, not sure why you chose that metaphor.

I have certainly been attacked worse by others and by you.

BTW: Thanks for the link to the straights article!

Edited by stat

11 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

Well I’ve always said that if the RD links passport to exit stamp, then I  would have to do something

Not "if" just "when." 

Staying reasonably aware of such developments means that is unlikely that I would be caught out at airport.

So why so dismissive in a previous post? 

Has anyone ever been stopped because they don’t have tax ID?

Not to my knowledge, but it's not 2025 yet, is it? 

In the same way you are ushered to the overstay desk when they know you have overstayed your tourist visa, it's entirely possible you will be ushered to a TRD desk in the future, after staying more than 180 days inside Thailand.  This is just a hypothetical, but the infrastructure for immigration counting the days foreigners are in Thailand is already in place at the boarders, and no, the immigration officer doesn't look at a calendar and count every day, for every foreigner, a computer does it.  

In the same way they want their 500 baht a day for a tourist overstay, they simply might want 500 baht at a boarder from a tax resident for a clearance certificate, should they not have one.  Who knows?  

I rule nothing out when it comes to Thailand, the Thai government, foreigners, and money. 

As far as getting a document from the TRD about my pension, I think you’re dreaming. What, I should just waltz in there and demand it?

No need for you to "demand" it from them, because they are most likely going to "demand" it from you. See the above.   :smile:

On 5/24/2024 at 9:41 PM, john donson said:

simply do nothing till one day immigration tells you, on top of your 30 other copies, you now need a tax return...  guess that will be time to find greener pastures

That is what I plan to do.  The only problem is that a recent video from a Thai legal firm has indicated that unless one has a tax ID, they could be subject to criminal prosecution. Obviously, most of us would like to avoid that scenario.