Need fast growing tree species: I need to plant trees that will grow 10 meters w/in 2 yrs.

Dear Folks,

I have a lawn that needs some shade from tall trees.

If I were younger, then almost any old tree might do.

However, at my present age, I realize that if I plant an average tree, any old tree, most will not grow tall enough before I am underground moldering, just food for the trees, myself.

This is why I need to go out and plant some seedlings which will grow super fast, with proper care and fertilizer.

What might be the best and fastest growing tree I could plant, for the Chiang Mai climate?

Any ideas?

I would plant fruit trees if I were ten years younger, of course.

But, I let this project go...for too long, now....and now I am almost out of time.

I know that there must be super-fast-growing trees, what will all the new genetic-engineering of things like corn, for example.

So then, in terms of trees, are there any newly created GMO-trees that will grow about three times faster than natural trees?

I am NOT interested in anything NATURAL, if natural means growing slow.

I do not intend to EAT the trees, so GMO-trees seems right for me...if...

They will just grow....SUPER-Fast.

I do not intend to start from seeds.

I will buy some saplings, or what do you call them.....

Not saplings.

I meant seedlings.....

Thanks for any advised advice.

Best,

Gamma

NOTE4:  I did not mean to say that I would not also be willing to buy saplings, rather than just seedlings.  But, with such a fast growing tree species, I figure that seedlings might be cheaper than saplings, and still reach about the same height within approximately the same period of time.... 18 months to two years.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am cutting back and pruning all my trees as they have gotten too thick and my front lawn  is not getting enough sun, thus parts are thinning and dying. If you love a green grassy lawn dont put too many trees in. This is the lawn 4 months ago, but now the trees have caused it to thin in places. 

front yard with hill.jpg

front yard.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, marin said:

I am cutting back and pruning all my trees as they have gotten too thick and my front lawn  is not getting enough sun, thus parts are thinning and dying. If you love a green grassy lawn dont put too many trees in. This is the lawn 4 months ago, but now the trees have caused it to thin in places. 

front yard with hill.jpg

front yard.jpg

Truly...

That is a piece of beautiful landscaping.

Congrats!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, degrub said:

Try giant bamboo. It’s a grass. Just add water and fertilizer.

Dunno about giant bamboo, but whatever variety we've planted in our garden drops a lot of leaves, which hasn't been good for the grass that grows around them. Definitely fast growing, and spreading though easy to pull shoots to keep them trained in a smaller space, but OP should be aware of the effect of the leaves if he wants to keep his lawn looking nice.

5 hours ago, FriscoKid said:

Cannabis is a weed that grows very fast and easily. Lots of places sell ones that have already sprouted and just need to be replanted. In 8 weeks your whole garden will be covered. Thank me later.  

If you burn the clippings your neighbours will be thanking you!!

Whee :whistling:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, degrub said:

Try giant bamboo. It’s a grass. Just add water and fertilizer.

Bamboo is noisy even in a small breeze, and kills the grass. Same with Tamarind trees which grows very  vide, and not especially tall fast growing trees

9 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

Eucalyptus. Easily found. Very affordable. Smell nice too.

Agree

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Why don’t you take a drive out to Mae On to the tree nursery conglomerate and ask around. A very large variety of tree species there, probably the largest in the north, and sure you’ll find something there that will suit your needs.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, novacova said:

Why don’t you take a drive out to Mae On to the tree nursery conglomerate and ask around. A very large variety of tree species there, probably the largest in the north, and sure you’ll find something there that will suit your needs.

OK.

Sounds like a good adventure.