Kamala Harris Blames Trump Policies for Deaths of Two Georgia Women

Social Media

image.png

Vice President Kamala Harris is holding former President Donald Trump accountable for the deaths of two women in Georgia, attributing their deaths to the abortion bans that have taken root after the overturning of Roe v. Wade. Speaking at a rally in Atlanta, Harris made an emotional connection between Trump’s appointment of conservative Supreme Court justices and the state’s restrictive abortion laws. ProPublica recently reported that two women were either denied or too afraid to seek emergency care due to Georgia’s ban on abortions after six weeks of pregnancy. 

Harris expressed that such tragedies will only become more frequent if Trump returns to office, stating, "Now we know that at least two women — and those are only the stories we know here in the state of Georgia — died because of a Trump abortion ban." She further emphasized that these are just the cases that have come to light, adding, "The reality is, for every story we hear of the suffering under Trump abortion bans, there are so many of the stories we’re not hearing, but where suffering is happening every day in our country."

The vice president's remarks are part of a broader effort to make Trump accountable for the sweeping changes in abortion laws that have affected millions of women across the country. Harris has highlighted how state bans, such as Georgia's, have impacted women’s access to healthcare, especially during emergencies. These stories have become a central element in her campaign to mobilize voters around reproductive rights. Democrats are relying on abortion as a galvanizing issue in the same way it was during the midterm elections, hoping to counter Trump’s messaging on issues like the economy and immigration.

Trump has tried to balance the abortion issue by promoting a "leave-it-to-the-states" approach, stating that each state should make its own decisions regarding abortion. He has also supported exceptions to abortion bans in cases of rape, incest, and to save the mother’s life. His spokesperson, Karoline Leavitt, reiterated this stance, stating, "President Trump has always supported exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother, which Georgia’s law provides. With those exceptions in place, it’s unclear why doctors did not swiftly act to protect the lives of mothers."

However, Harris strongly challenged this viewpoint, particularly the idea of leaving such life-and-death decisions to state lawmakers. She highlighted how Trump’s opposition to a proposed abortion-rights ballot measure in Florida, which would protect the right to abortion until fetal viability, threatens to maintain and even expand restrictions on reproductive healthcare.

Harris passionately criticized Southern lawmakers for supporting strict abortion bans while their states struggle with high maternal mortality rates. "These hypocrites want to start talking about, this is in the best interest of women and children. Well, where you been? Where you been when it comes to taking care of the women and children of America?" Harris asked, fueling her argument against the conservative lawmakers. 

At the rally, Harris also told the tragic stories of two Georgia women, Amber Nicole Thurman and Candi Miller, who lost their lives due to complications following failed abortion attempts. Thurman, a 28-year-old, required emergency surgery after taking abortion pills out of state, but doctors delayed treatment for 20 hours because of Georgia's abortion ban. Miller, a 41-year-old mother of three, ordered abortion pills online but was too afraid to seek emergency help and tragically died at home. 

"We will speak her name," Harris said of Thurman, leading the crowd in a chant of “Amber Rose Thurman.” Both deaths were preventable, according to a state maternal health review board.

In her speech, Harris argued that even Trump’s stated exceptions to abortion bans fail to protect women adequately. "We’re saying that we’re going to create public policy that says that a doctor, a health care provider, will only kick in to give the care that somebody needs if they’re about to die?" Harris asked, underscoring the dangers posed by current state laws.

As reproductive rights continue to be a key issue in the upcoming elections, Harris’s stance on the matter represents one of the most forceful challenges to Trump’s policies, highlighting the life-or-death stakes for women across the country.

Credit: Politico 2024-09-23

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

She’s 100% correct on that one not to mention the way he bungled the Covid response I’ve seen estimates of 200 thousand + preventable deaths for just that blunder…….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course she's correct.  And this is what I believe will be the main issue that will decide the election, the overturning of Roe.

And why I think there will be a record turnout of women as they are p****d !!

And they have already shown it since the overturning showing up:

Abortion Rights Victories Continue: Here Are All The Wins In Major Elections Since The Supreme Court Overturned Roe

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2023/11/08/abortion-rights-victories-continue-here-are-all-the-wins-in-major-elections-since-the-supreme-court-overturned-roe/

Trump: 'I was able to kill Roe v. Wade'  

Good for you.......until November 5 that is!!

FwVcvU6XsAUmJ3d.jpg

Edited by mushroomdave

4 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Hehe... it generates responses and replies more than any other story that put in the site. Even by non-Americans. 

Actually more responses by non Americans, I appreciate it because it allows me to feel my voice is being heard and to defend my country.unfortunately the biggest threat seems to be from within.

• Thumbs Up 1