Switching from Non-Immigrant OA to Non-Immigrant O on basis of Retirement

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

You should read the entire thread before commenting!

You should do your research before making comments, 19 years on an OA and you don't even know what your talking about. Oh I forgot I switched to marriage.

• Sad 1

Just now, flexomike said:

You should do your research before making comments, 19 years on an OA and you don't even know what your talking about. Oh I forgot I switched to marriage.

It's very sad but, goodbye.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, TimBKK said:

The OA insurance requirements are so low and thus so cheap (granted, its a complete throwaway policy) that I wonder if it would actually cost more to switch to a non-O, at least initially?

Think I paid 2000b (via an agent) for something from the “Bangkok Insurance Public Company Limited” which I believe is affiliated with Bangkok Bank.  I could probably renew the policy at a BKK branch for even cheaper.

Just a though, although I suppose over time the non-O will eventually win out on cost.

If applying for an extension within Thailand you have to have one of the insurance polices on their list. If over 70 you are screwed. Only way you could get by on your agent purchased policy would be having him do your extension also.

3 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

I mentioned the social security health benefits because it is accepted as insurance for the O-A, and it seems the only reason people change is because of the insurance, so I mentioned an option, (that never seems to be put forward).

Can you provide a link to either a Thai Embassy or Thai Immigration to support your claim that either accept Social Security Health schemes for the Non O-A application, or extensions of stay from entry of a Non O-A visa.

I can only find the TGIA approved Insurers or a Foreign Insurance company prepared to sign the foreign Health Insurance certificate as acceptable.
Is the SS Health scheme hidden somewhere in the small print?

Edited by Liquorice

22 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Can you provide a link to either a Thai Embassy or Thai Immigration to support your claim that either accept Social Security Health schemes for the Non O-A application, or extensions of stay from entry of a Non O-A visa.

I can only find the TGIA approved Insurers or a Foreign Insurance company prepared to sign the foreign Health Insurance certificate as acceptable.
Is the SS Health scheme hidden somewhere in the small print?

Hunting for it as we speak  🙂

Though to be fair, the MFA website does not even mention insurance.  🙂

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/non-immigrant-visa-o-a?menu=5e1ff71bc4281a00c812e8e2

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/non-immigrant-visa-o-a?menu=5e1ff71bc4281a00c812e8e2

To be fair, there is a reference to NON-Thai social welfare being accepted, but must be certified by a foreign Embassy in Thailand, OR, a certification letter of authorised person's signature by a notary public from the Ministry of Foreign affairs.

On 9/22/2024 at 1:33 PM, skorts said:

Thanks for your feedback. 

Can I go to Immigration and apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa almost immediately after entering Thailand on 60 days Visa exempt or do I have to wait until later during my 60 day Visa exempt period?

Anytime as long as it's 15 days prior to expire. Info from Udon IO.

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

I remember speculation about this when the health-ins requirement was first added to Non-OA Visa-extensions**, because some Non-OA folks had it from previous employment in Thailand.  I do not recall reports that it was accepted or not. 

A related question - can it also be used for the LTR insurance requirement? 

I assume many who have these visas previously worked in Thailand before retirement, and it is a no-brainer to keep this very affordable insurance.

** (Technically, "permitted stays" continuing the original visa's "permitted stay" - but this issue shows that Immigration view them as "visa extensions," in practice.  Otherwise the type of a "long ago used/expired visa" would not matter.)

Just a heads up.      I did my crossing on Friday 13th. to kill off the OA. Went to the Udon IO on Monday. Prior visa was an OA based on marriage. I was told that I would have to bring the necessary docs for marriage (wife's ID card, house book, pics of us in the house ect. for the FIRST time only, after that I could go alone. Fortunately I knew a supervisor there and she agreed to take copies.

5 hours ago, Imd8ta said:

I was told that I would have to bring the necessary docs for marriage (wife's ID card, house book, pics of us in the house ect. for the FIRST time only, after that I could go alone

IO was confused.

That would be the case when changing from based on marriage to retirement from a non O.

Assume same as OP you changing to based on retirement.

The fact is you ended your permission of stay and reenter visa exempt and applied for NEW non O based on retirement then details of wife etc should not be required. 

• Agree 1