TRAMADOL

Badrabbit

I've read in the last few days that Tramadol is considered a dangerous medication, I've been taking Tramadol for the last approx 3 years, I only take 1 50mg tablet for pain, recently it's been 1 tablet every 6 hours, if I don't take it the pain becomes unbearable so Tramafol has been a life saver for me.

I've been to every hospital on Phuket,had many many tests including CT scans, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, X Ray's, blood tests, EKG's you name I've had it, Doctor says "we can't find anything wrong, it must be sensitive nerves".

My GF is constantly worried about me taking Tramadol, what would be the best alternative for me to take instead of Tramadol?

3 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

I've read in the last few days that Tramadol is considered a dangerous medication, I've been taking Tramadol for the last approx 3 years, I only take 1 50mg tablet for pain, recently it's been 1 tablet every 6 hours, if I don't take it the pain becomes unbearable so Tramafol has been a life saver for me.

I've been to every hospital on Phuket,had many many tests including CT scans, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, X Ray's, blood tests, EKG's you name I've had it, Doctor says "we can't find anything wrong, it must be sensitive nerves".

My GF is constantly worried about me taking Tramadol, what would be the best alternative for me to take instead of Tramadol?

You don't say where or what type of pain you are suffering from. 

13 minutes ago, sungod said:

You tried cannabis?

No, the Tramadol works 100%. Hospital seemed to be okay with me taking it, Doc did say he would give me something that would last longer but I never went back.

TRAMADOL is generally considered safe if no more than 100mg/ 6hours, 400/24 hours as long as it is not being taken with other drugs that interact negatively or especially with alcohol.   There have been reports of Tramadol causing psychosis in some individuals but that usually turns out to have alcohol involved, taken at the same time.

I buy ULTRACET (Tramadol 37mg) OTC and take no more than 75 mg/day.  Using it for 3 years now for knee pain with no noticeable side effects and no diminishment of effectiveness. 

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

No, the Tramadol works 100%. Hospital seemed to be okay with me taking it, Doc did say he would give me something that would last longer but I never went back.

As menioned above, tramadol just masking your real issues, so better to look at your lifestyle, and what changes you can to to get better. 

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

chronic pain,  inflammation, stress related? 

Do you eat or drink anything that can make it harder to get rid of inflammation? 

I couldent tell you, I stopped drinking Alcohol when I started getting this pain, I don't smoke, I'm fine continuing with the Tramadol but if it gets regulated then it might become unavailable.

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Both tramadol and ketamine just masking the problem, not solving it! Christ sake

Sure, Dr. Hummin - case closed right?

Or, maybe you missed the bit where the OP states “Doctor says "we can't find anything wrong…”

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TimBKK said:

Sure, Dr. Hummin - case closed right?

Or, maybe you missed the bit where the OP states “Doctor says "we can't find anything wrong…”

Edited by KannikaP

1 minute ago, Badrabbit said:

I couldent tell you, I stopped drinking Alcohol when I started getting this pain, I don't smoke, I'm fine continuing with the Tramadol but if it gets regulated then it might become unavailable.

I struggled with chronic pain for years, and it was stress related inflammation. At once I got rid of inflammation, I got rid of the chronic pain. And funny it was a huge enviroment change moving to that relived all my struggles. Thailand with its  climate and beaches  got me symptoms free. 

Swimming, walking the beach every morning, massage and also a new positive relation with healthy food. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, dddave said:

TRAMADOL is generally considered safe if no more than 100mg/ 6hours, 400/24 hours as long as it is not being taken with other drugs that interact negatively or especially with alcohol.   There have been reports of Tramadol causing psychosis in some individuals but that usually turns out to have alcohol involved, taken at the same time.

I buy ULTRACET (Tramadol 37mg) OTC and take no more than 75 mg/day.  Using it for 3 years now for knee pain with no noticeable side effects and no diminishment of effectiveness. 

I've got some of those so maybe I will try them instead of Tramadol.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

You can also use Ultracet, over the counter in Thailand - a mix of paracetamol & tramadol.  Works better than Co-codamol (paracetamol + codeine).  Pure tramadol has issues to do with addiction but is very good for pain management.  A friend of my mother's has used it (one pill any time she has an attack of the pain) for 30 years for horrific pain in the shoulder that cannot be diagnosed but is truly horrible she says.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

You can also use Ultracet, over the counter in Thailand - a mix of paracetamol & tramadol.  Works better than Co-codamol (paracetamol + codeine).  Pure tramadol has issues to do with addiction but is very good for pain management.  A friend of my mother's has used it (one pill any time she has an attack of the pain) for 30 years for horrific pain in the shoulder that cannot be diagnosed but is truly horrible she says.

Two Ultracet pills = 6 Co-codamol pills - For a pill hater like me that was brilliant - had a pingpong sized bladder stone for a year.  Pain was really bad

Edited by MarkBR
missing word

Tramadol is an INSIDIOUS drug.

Tramadol, due to its dual action, seems to be able to cause problems of addiction and dependency, far worse than just a traditional opioid.

In other words, Tramadol might add on the complications similar to a benzodiazepine addiction.

Let's keep in mind, for example, what happened to that prof from Canada, Peterson.

It might be OK to take Tramadol for up to a week, post op, for example.

However, this is a drug which is not OK for daily use, unless one might be in an end-of-life disease situation.

IMHO....only....

• Like 1

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

Tramadol is an INSIDIOUS drug.

Tramadol, due to its dual action, seems to be able to cause problems of addiction and dependency, far worse than just a traditional opioid.

In other words, Tramadol might add on the complications similar to a benzodiazepine addiction.

Let's keep in mind, for example, what happened to that prof from Canada, Peterson.

It might be OK to take Tramadol for up to a week, post op, for example.

However, this is a drug which is not OK for daily use, unless one might be in an end-of-life disease situation.

IMHO....only....

Agreed, it does depend solely on the users ability to control their consumption. 

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Very strange a CT scan shows nothing. Was it done with contrast?

Have you had your appendix out? You may have a grumbling appendix.

Needing one tramadol every 6 hours is way too much. I would suggest getting a more competent doctor.

I've had many Ct scans all with contrast, no have not had my appendix out.

I can not afford to keep going to Hospital for expensive tests especially when each time they say " we can't find anything,  stay in hospital for tests" yea right I wish I had bottomless pockets.

• Like 1

Have you had a colonoscopy and or endoscopy? I ask as 3 years ago I had stomach and lower back pain for months. Finally I took the wife's advice and had these checks run. I had 3 ulcers, two in the stomach and one upper intestine. The correct meds cleared it up in a month or two.

3 minutes ago, marin said:

Have you had a colonoscopy and or endoscopy? I ask as 3 years ago I had stomach and lower back pain for months. Finally I took the wife's advice and had these checks run. I had 3 ulcers, two in the stomach and one upper intestine. The correct meds cleared it up in a month or two.

Yes I've had 2 endoscopy and 1 Colonoscopy, nothing found.