The Moka Pot thread

scubascuba3

I've finally got my Moka Pot coffee perfect for me. Tried different beans including blending but my favourite two beans are below. Arabica dark French roast. On Lazada 199/260 baht for 500g.

Also bought an improved version of the mokapot 209 baht 4 cup, some highfalutin people think you have to buy Bialetti, they are wrong.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.qIcHz

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.qIcBo

https://th.shp.ee/eKSryYL

How do you make your perfect moka pot coffee?

Screenshot_2024-09-24-14-07-07-030_com.lazada.android.jpg

Screenshot_2024-09-24-14-08-14-712_com.lazada.android.jpg

no_markReactNative-snapshot-image.png

I used to have 2 Moka Pots from Shopee, 250 each. 

Very flimsy.

They lasted 2 years each. 

Then I bought Pedrini, at Emporium, 750 b. In the second year now, and they certainly will last 6 years. 

As for the coffee,  I still have a lot of Illy, cheaply bought in Europe.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

I used to have 2 Moka Pots from Shopee, 250 each. 

Very flimsy.

They lasted 2 years each. 

Then I bought Pedrini, at Emporium, 750 b. In the second year now, and they certainly will last 6 years. 

As for the coffee,  I still have a lot of Illy, cheaply bought in Europe.

I have 3 moka pots all from Lazada/Shopee all good, the 3rd one above is a much better design, improves on the earlier version, I wouldn't use the older versions again

Have 2 Moka pots, same as OP, and one of the aluminum ones (doesn't get used).  Though use the French Press (stainless steel) now, at home & while O&A, and take a water kettle with us, JIC.

If wanting to use your Moka while O&A, little gas stove comes in handy...

image.png.f44d287ca24fd999ddd617dbcc253324.png

• Like 1

One of the better methods is to use boiled water in the chamber and use a paper coffee filter.  I use a basic Bialetti (4 cups).  The Moka pot metal conducts heat very efficiently and if you start with room-temperature water, you are burning the coffee grinds as the water boils.  Brew it with the lid open and as soon as the coffee begins to come through, remove it from the heat and be careful not to over-extract the coffee as this is the main reason why many people give up on their Moka purchases after a while.  

Give it a try. 

There is a very significant taste difference between starting with boiled water and room temperature.

There is a subtle difference between using a paper filter and no paper filter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finlaco said:

One of the better methods is to use boiled water in the chamber and use a paper coffee filter.  I use a basic Bialetti (4 cups).  The Moka pot metal conducts heat very efficiently and if you start with room-temperature water, you are burning the coffee grinds as the water boils.  Brew it with the lid open and as soon as the coffee begins to come through, remove it from the heat and be careful not to over-extract the coffee as this is the main reason why many people give up on their Moka purchases after a while.  

Give it a try. 

There is a very significant taste difference between starting with boiled water and room temperature.

There is a subtle difference between using a paper filter and no paper filter.

Definitely use boiled water first, with the new design moka pot (image per opening post) the lid can be closed so get zero spits unlike the old style mokapot.

I've never tried a paper filter but probably an improvement 

Moka, is this the coffee that tastes like chocolate? That's my favorite coffee I buy in Amazon.

If it is, which of these two types of coffee gives it that chocolate taste, Arabica 100% French Dark Roast or HillKoff Arabica coffee?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, WebGuy said:

Moka, is this the coffee that tastes like chocolate? That's my favorite coffee I buy in Amazon.

If it is, which of these two types of coffee gives it that chocolate taste, Arabica 100% French Dark Roast or HillKoff Arabica coffee?

Thanks

I don't know the history of the moka pot but I don't think it's about chocolate, i personally don't like chocolate flavour coffee, i like coffee to be coffee, the french dark roast is my favourite flavour, i had to try various combinations before i settled on that. Do the same, try different ones, blend them if not quite right, until you settle on a favourite