Is this viable for 6 months stay in Thailand

Theoretically it is possible to enter Visa exempt and get 60 days, then leave and re-enter and get 60 days, then leave and re-enter and get 60 days for 180 days

I am a UK passport holder and have been out of Thailand for last 15 months - I previously had mix of OA and O (retirement) over last 14 years, but my last visit was for just 6 months: 45 day exempt entry and 45 day exempt (Border hop)  and extension in Bangkok and tourist visa in single entry Venetian.

If my plan is possible, which border next to Thailand is the safest and how long is required to stay before returning for Immigration to accept re-entry for a land entry.

If I was to take a different option by doing the exit and re-enter via Vietnam on either entry, and since Vietnam is not bordering Thailand this will need to be an air crossing and not a land crossing - would this increase the probability of success for either of the attempts for exit / re-entries on visa exempt 60 days.

Edited by spambot

Instead of doing 3 VE entries just do 2 and extend each one for 30 days at local IO.

Nobody is going to bother you about 2 VEs in 6 months.

Keep tuned to AN to see what the situation is with regard to how much time you are expected to stay out after your first 60+30 day stay.

I've been doing what you want to do since 2010.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 2

OP, sound advice above regarding just doing two visa exempt entries with 30 day extensions .

You can still border bounce same day (no overnight stay) at some places.

Bangkok or Pattaya to Cambodia agent mini van is good option.

Depending location Nong Khai also.

Regarding the Vietnam suggestion that would work however would suggest mini holiday there rather the very quick turnaround.

Also that plan would involve onward flight for return to Thailand visa exempt. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, sound advice above regarding just doing two visa exempt entries with 30 day extensions .

You can still border bounce same day (no overnight stay) at some places.

Bangkok or Pattaya to Cambodia agent mini van is good option.

Depending location Nong Khai also.

Regarding the Vietnam suggestion that would work however would suggest mini holiday there rather the very quick turnaround.

Also that plan would involve onward flight for return to Thailand visa exempt. 

Sounds like the VE + Ext = Best solution. Thanks (also Enoon and Lite Beer

Last time I did a border hop Poipet Border and got a Cambodia and Tourist Visa via Nong Khai / Vientiane.

Poipet from my last experience should be completely disregarded for border hop.

- I am guessing that you are recommending Nong Khai  - For any border hops?

Yup Vietnam should be mini holiday, I have visited a number of times - Favourite is Da Nang.

6 minutes ago, spambot said:

Poipet from my last experience should be completely disregarded for border hop.

- I am guessing that you are recommending Nong Khai  - For any border hops?

100% avoid PoiPet. 

Which border bounce location is down to where you are staying in Thailand.

Example if located in Pattaya plenty of minivan border bounce companies. 

Where will you be staying in Thailand 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, spambot said:

If I was to take a different option by doing the exit and re-enter via Vietnam on either entry, and since Vietnam is not bordering Thailand this will need to be an air crossing and not a land crossing - would this increase the probability of success for either of the attempts for exit / re-entries on visa exempt 60 days.

I would suggest make your Vietnam trip before coming to Thailand - so, when entering by air, you have not been in Thailand for ~6 months.  

Use a throwaway ~$10 "exit" ticket to get on the plane to Thailand w/o a visa, and/or show to immigration if asked.  Also, have an accommodation booking to show, and 20K Baht worth of cash to show, if asked - as unlikely as that is to be requested, better to be safe.

5 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

I would suggest make your Vietnam trip before coming to Thailand - so, when entering by air, you have not been in Thailand for ~6 months.  

Use a throwaway ~$10 "exit" ticket to get on the plane to Thailand w/o a visa, and/or show to immigration if asked.  Also, have an accommodation booking to show, and 20K Baht worth of cash to show, if asked - as unlikely as that is to be requested, better to be safe.

The OP is only interested in Vietnam in order to bypass a border bounce for second visa exempt entry.

Did you even read thread.

His options and replies very clear

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Yes, no problem, the 60 day VE's are indefinite. 🙂 You can do it indefinitely, as per the rules. 🙂 

Such an incorrect post.

There is no limit on visa exempt via air. 

Does that mean unlimited entries visa exempt.

Of course not.

Same for land border 

Very incorrect post

You're gonna give up on being here real quick if you need to border bounce every 60 days. I did it for awhile many years ago and it was a pretty short bus trip cm-tachilek (closed now I think). Even then it wore me out quickly and jaded me even more.

Edited by JimTripper

23 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

You're gonna give up on being here real quick if you need to border bounce every 60 days. I did it for awhile many years ago and it was a pretty short bus trip cm-tachilek (closed now I think). Even then it wore me out quickly and jaded me even more.

I did the CM -Maesai border bounce every 15 days for years , used to go out drinking and go straight to the bus station at 6 AM and up to Maesai and back home by the evening , every 15 days for 3 years 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP is only interested in Vietnam in order to bypass a border bounce for second visa exempt entry.

Did you even read thread.

His options and replies very clear

Yes - read the thread.  Why did they mention Vietnam, if they didn't want to go there / see it?  

I would never advise to fly in to Bangkok airports unless out of the country for months beforehand - especially on an "extended" prior-entry (they seem to hate that) - because there is no way to predict what the orders were to the IOs the day one enters.  If there was some defined rule, it would be different - but there is not.