Thailand's Landmark Move: Same-Sex Marriage Legalised

image.jpeg

FILE - Participants hold posters celebrating equality in marriage during the Pride Parade in Bangkok, Thailand, Saturday, June 1, 2024. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit, File)

Thailand has made history by becoming the first country in Southeast Asia to legalise same-sex marriage. His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn signed the law into effect yesterday, as announced in the Royal Gazette, following its passage by parliament in June. This groundbreaking law will officially take effect in 120 days, paving the way for the first same-sex marriages in January.

This monumental decision positions Thailand alongside Taiwan and Nepal, making it the third place in Asia to grant marriage equality. The new legislation uses gender-neutral terms and extends adoption and inheritance rights to same-sex couples, providing them with the same legal status as heterosexual couples.

This legislative victory is the culmination of years of activism and advocacy within Thailand's LGBTQ community. While the country is known globally for its tolerance, advocates have faced significant challenges in a society where traditional values still hold sway.

Prior attempts to pass equal marriage laws were repeatedly thwarted, and LGBTQ people have continued to face discrimination in various aspects of daily life.

According to local media, public opinion has been overwhelmingly supportive of equal marriage rights. However, the struggle for true equality is ongoing. "We've been waiting for a long time," said Apiwat Apiwatsayree, a prominent figure in Thailand’s LGBTQ community, who plans to marry his partner of 17 years, Sappanyoo Panatkool, once the law takes effect, reported AFP.

Thailand’s former Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, who championed this issue before being ousted, played a crucial role in pushing the legislation through parliament. His successor, Paetongtarn Shinawatra, assumes office with the legacy of this landmark law, presenting a new chapter in Thailand's commitment to human rights.

As Thailand prepares for 2024, the promise of equality and acceptance brings a fresh start for couples long awaiting their chance to legally marry, marking a significant step forward in the global fight for LGBTQ rights.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-25

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Marriage equality approved, LGBTQA+ couples to wed in 120 days
by Petch Petpailin

COVER-PIC-72.webp
Photo via Facebook/ บางกอก ไพรด์

King Rama X yesterday approved the Marriage Equality Bill allowing LGBTQA+ couples in Thailand to officially marry in 120 days after the approval.

The movement to allow LGBTQA+ couples to legally register their marriages in Thailand began 23 years ago, in 2001, when former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was in office. However, Thai society had not yet widely recognised the LGBTQA+ community at that time, leading to the idea being quickly abandoned.

Numerous efforts have since been made by both LGBTQA+ members and various political organisations. In 2022, Thanyawat Kamonwongwat, an MP from the now-dissolved Move Forward Party (MFP), submitted the draft for a same-sex marriage bill.

Discussion and consideration of the bill were delayed for an extended period. In the interim, the government introduced the Partnership Act, which allowed LGBTQA+ couples to register their partnerships. However, the Act did not fully address their needs, as it did not grant the same rights as those afforded to male-female couples.

Finally, the Marriage Equality Bill was approved by both MPs and senators on June 18 of this year. It was then forwarded to the Cabinet for royal endorsement, and King Rama X officially approved the Act yesterday, September 24, as announced in the Royal Gazette.

The same-sex marriage law will come into effect 120 days after this announcement. As a result, LGBTQA+ individuals will be able to officially register their marriages next year.

Following the official approval, former PM, Srettha Thavisin, expressed his appreciation on his personal Twitter account yesterday.

“Another important step for Thai society. The marriage equality law has been passed. Equality is tangible in Thai society. Gender diversity will finally be fully accepted. Congratulations!”

PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra also extended her congratulations to the LGBTQA+ community in Thailand, sharing on her Twitter account.

“To all the love… Congratulations to everyone in love. #LoveWins Thank you for the support from all sectors. Everyone fought together for this! #MarriageEquality.”

Source: The Thaiger 

-- 2024-09-25

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

I assume the new law applies to Thai/Falang couples too? On that basis my b/f and I will do the deed (for purely practical/inheritance/land reasons) early next year.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, allane said:

Can anyone clarify if there is a requirement that one or both partners must be Thai ?  Please cite your source.  I am interested in facts, not rumours, gossip or hearsay.

Also would like to know.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

However, the Act did not fully address their needs, as it did not grant the same rights as those afforded to male-female couples.

And what prey are differences ?? I'm thinking  'falang can not'

3 hours ago, webfact said:

This groundbreaking law will officially take effect in 120 days, paving the way for the first same-sex marriages in January.

So why show a Photo of a marriage certificate that must be a forged one enlarged ?

5 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I assume the new law applies to Thai/Falang couples too? On that basis my b/f and I will do the deed (for purely practical/inheritance/land reasons) early next year.

As I have pointed out here months ago, being married is not necessary, if you put all your paperwork in order. I had an American friend who had been in a long term relationship for many years with a Thai LB, 'She' got everything of his as he had already done the necessary paperwork, like a will, power of attorney, .....

10 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

Also would like to know.

I bet even if Falang are allowed to marry a Thai, it will be the falang that has to have the money in the bank for extensions, Like if I wanted to Identify as a 'woman', and married a Thai Man, they would want to see my bank account, not His. plus this non informative info.

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

However, the Act did not fully address their needs, as it did not grant the same rights as those afforded to male-female couples.

As much as I laugh at homosexuals, I will say that they deserve to be a miserable as normal folks. So now the fat repulsive homosexuals can suffer with a Thai wife just like fat repulsive normal folks.

No special treatment I say.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

As I have pointed out here months ago, being married is not necessary, if you put all your paperwork in order. I had an American friend who had been in a long term relationship for many years with a Thai LB, 'She' got everything of his as he had already done the necessary paperwork, like a will, power of attorney, .....

I've already done the Australian end. It's the Thai end of things that's of concern, if my b/f (40 years younger & an appalling driver) predeceases me.  It's the usufruct that's of interest for me, not the inheritance which will go to members of  his family.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Marriage equality approved, LGBTQA+ couples to wed in 120 days
by Petch Petpailin

COVER-PIC-72.webp
Photo via Facebook/ บางกอก ไพรด์

King Rama X yesterday approved the Marriage Equality Bill allowing LGBTQA+ couples in Thailand to officially marry in 120 days after the approval.

The movement to allow LGBTQA+ couples to legally register their marriages in Thailand began 23 years ago, in 2001, when former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was in office. However, Thai society had not yet widely recognised the LGBTQA+ community at that time, leading to the idea being quickly abandoned.

Numerous efforts have since been made by both LGBTQA+ members and various political organisations. In 2022, Thanyawat Kamonwongwat, an MP from the now-dissolved Move Forward Party (MFP), submitted the draft for a same-sex marriage bill.

Discussion and consideration of the bill were delayed for an extended period. In the interim, the government introduced the Partnership Act, which allowed LGBTQA+ couples to register their partnerships. However, the Act did not fully address their needs, as it did not grant the same rights as those afforded to male-female couples.

Finally, the Marriage Equality Bill was approved by both MPs and senators on June 18 of this year. It was then forwarded to the Cabinet for royal endorsement, and King Rama X officially approved the Act yesterday, September 24, as announced in the Royal Gazette.

The same-sex marriage law will come into effect 120 days after this announcement. As a result, LGBTQA+ individuals will be able to officially register their marriages next year.

Following the official approval, former PM, Srettha Thavisin, expressed his appreciation on his personal Twitter account yesterday.

“Another important step for Thai society. The marriage equality law has been passed. Equality is tangible in Thai society. Gender diversity will finally be fully accepted. Congratulations!”

PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra also extended her congratulations to the LGBTQA+ community in Thailand, sharing on her Twitter account.

“To all the love… Congratulations to everyone in love. #LoveWins Thank you for the support from all sectors. Everyone fought together for this! #MarriageEquality.”

Source: The Thaiger 

-- 2024-09-25

news-footer-3.png

image.png

Finally

7 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I've already done the Australian end. It's the Thai end of things that's of concern, if my b/f (40 years younger & an appalling driver) predeceases me.  It's the usufruct that's of interest for me, not the inheritance which will go to members of  his family.

Is usufruct not tied into ownership of land via the chanote?

Just now, JeffersLos said:

Can I marry a man and then not need to keep 400,000THB in the bank for extensions? 

Interesting question, but I think it will require 400k in bank which is far better than 800K.

• Thanks 1

Just now, MarkBR said:

Is usufruct not tied into ownership of land via the chanote?

Presumably yes (but I'm no expert). The point is that there needs to be a usufruct document or paragraph, given that the land and the house we built on it is all in b/f's name (which is fine by me.)

2 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Then I guess if they decide to kick you out, you will have to rent, or offer to pay them rent. Your BF should ask/tell his family to let you live there, until your demise.

I am lucky in that respect, my wife has told her kids in no uncertain terms, to let me continue living in 'our' house, and even have a new lady to 'take care of me', her kids have their own house and lives to live, they are both hard workers. But I honestly don't think I could live in the same house anymore, remembering her joy when the durian trees fruit, and especially walk around 'our' village with a new lady in tow. I would be the same off financially having to pay rent as living with my wife in a house 'She owns'. But one never knows until the worse happens.

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Then I guess if they decide to kick you out, you will have to rent, or offer to pay them rent.

Which is what a usufruct document is designed to prevent. Not that I expect any problems from the family but there's no guarantee (particularly noting that the property is worth roughly 10M฿ - my b/f thinks twice that) and the family are all dirt poor. I will in any case continue to provide them with ample funds for the rest of my life, but I'm not about to pay 'rent'.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Presumably yes (but I'm no expert). The point is that there needs to be a usufruct document or paragraph, given that the land and the house we built on it is all in b/f's name (which is fine by me.)

Okay, I understand now.  It needs legally explicit if there are usufruct rights who they go to if your parter predeceases you.  Need to find a good Thai lawyer to clarify what needs to be done.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s former Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, who championed this issue before being ousted, played a crucial role in pushing the legislation through parliament. His successor, Paetongtarn Shinawatra, assumes office with the legacy of this landmark law, presenting a new chapter in Thailand's commitment to human rights.

Let's see if she will even still be in office when the law becomes effective in January. :coffee1:

13 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I think if straight men could get sex as easily as gay men the marriage rates would collapse to single digits. Makes we wonder how many gay men will get married anyways.

Thats how AIDs started.