Trump Surges in Latest Top Poll 538 Predictions

Social Media

18 hours ago, still kicking said:

What does he know about USA he is a Kivi

Don't you know....some people's opinions are like cosmic rays.  They easily pass straight through almost anything so why would you believe they are at all affected by facts or reality. 

13 hours ago, newnative said:

I think few believe this.   The 2016 race was very close.  The 2020 race was very close.    I think it would be more accurate to say that most 'here' believe the 2024 election will also be a close one.   When I say 'close' I am referring to the Electoral College vote. 

I think what most democrats believe will be a 'landslide' will be the popular vote.  Clinton won the popular vote by over 2.8 million votes.  A landslide.  Biden did even better, winning by 7 million votes.  An even bigger landslide.  

Unfortunately, one of the biggest drawbacks of having the EC is that it can give a very damaging, false impression of a presidential election.  The 2016 and 2020 elections are both good examples.  The democratic candidates won the popular vote by landslides.  The elections were really not close elections at all with regard to which candidate the actual voters wanted as their president.  

However, both elections are incorrectly viewed as close elections solely because the EC vote was close.  An actual, truly close election would be Kennedy-Nixon, as one example.  Kennedy won by around 117,000 votes.  That's close.  2.8 million?  Not close at all.  Landslide. 

In two elections, Trump has never even reached 50% of the vote.  The actual voters have soundly rejected him twice, with landslide tallies for the democrat candidate.  The only legitimacy he has is solely due to the Electoral College.  Yet another reason to get rid of it.  

My suggestion to improve the Electoral College is to eliminate the two EC votes each state receives for their Senators.  That change would make the EC votes more accurately represent the population of each state.  Alternatively give each state one extra EC vote that is awarded to the statewide popular vote winner.

The less populous states are already given extra representation in the Senate.  There is no need to further over compensate them by giving them additional EC votes.

Edited by gamb00ler