What airline is the best option for domestic flights these days?

Old Fool

On 9/27/2024 at 6:00 AM, LukKrueng said:

No. The locals have a secret code and pay only a fraction of this price. Some airlines have a system where the more non Thais are booked on the flight - the less Thais pay.

I believe that may be true.   2 years ago, I was invited by a Thai couple, who are close friends of my Thai family, to go up to Chiang Mai. 

At Don Meuang, when I bought my ticket, I found out that both of their round trip tickets cost less than half of what I was paying to go to Chiang Mai round trip. I asked why, I was told, we had special coupon price.   Why didn't you tell me about it?   Oh, coupon price for for Thai only.   

Edited by radiochaser

10 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

do you take your own sandwiches and a refillable bottle of water too ?

No why would I when I can buy them at the airport and if you need to eat on a hour long flight then you need help !

I used to think staying loyal to one airline and accruing points was the way to go. But the cheapest tickets are constantly in flux between different airlines. I just grab the cheapest flight with least stops

2 hours ago, ronster said:

No why would I when I can buy them at the airport and if you need to eat on a hour long flight then you need help !

Probably for the same reason you send your luggage by courier when you could simple have it carried in the hold of the aircraft you are travelling on for pretty much the same price.  But I have no Idea what that reason is.  Perhaps you need some help

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Probably for the same reason you send your luggage by courier when you could simple have it carried in the hold of the aircraft you are travelling on for pretty much the same price.  But I have no Idea what that reason is.  Perhaps you need some help

Maybe I can't be bothered hanging around at baggage collection , checking in baggage or dragging it around a airport to the check in desk 🤔

I fly TG. Liked Thai Smile before, and while quality of service declined somewhat after Thai took it over, it's still fixed price, included check-in baggage, decent A320 planes for most local routes. Timing is sometimes not great, so I would choose some other airline (NokAir, AirAsia) at times, but overall, I prefer Thai and it is no more expensive than others, with bags and seat selection if is often cheaper than others, and definitely a lot cheaper if booking near the date of departure. Was considering whichever airline for 2 days in advance booking. TG was 1/3 of the price of Air Asia and half the price of Nok.

That's sort of good enough for me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ronster said:

Maybe I can't be bothered hanging around at baggage collection , checking in baggage or dragging it around a airport to the check in desk 🤔

So if such a minor inconvenience is so unacceptable to you, I would have thought the hassle of finding a normally well overpriced sandwich shop ( not always an option at domestic airports here) and then having to settle for the rubbish they provide would have been unthinkable,  I would have put money on you making your own

On 9/26/2024 at 6:22 PM, Old Fool said:

I recently noticed that the usual airline companies are all charging baggage and seat fees now.  The RT flights from Bangkok to Phuket have doubled in price from before C-19 because of these fees. 

tickets prices have increase since 2019..... go figure !

24 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So if such a minor inconvenience is so unacceptable to you, I would have thought the hassle of finding a normally well overpriced sandwich shop ( not always an option at domestic airports here) and then having to settle for the rubbish they provide would have been unthinkable,  I would have put money on you making your own

Not difficult to find as plenty of choices at the gate areas and I usually pick black canyon as sandwiches are decent and not overpriced 👍

On 9/27/2024 at 9:42 AM, MalcolmB said:

Vietjet.

they  wear these cute shorts

Very true and a big difference with those american airliners with those granny ages ladies still trudging at their ages and serving drinks with a grouchy face. In fact I was shocked to see ladies of such old age still flying to survive and pay the bills. I felt sorry for them to be in such a country that spends trillions and distributes it all over to generate and maintain wars,  but has not yet something more civilised for it's elderly people.

• Haha 1