Thai tax riddle: Elite Visa holders off the hook?

webfact

8 minutes ago, thaiowl said:

What about Permanent Residents? Will they be exempt? I doubt it.

PR aren’t necessarily wealthy or bring benefit to the economy.

Some people would say if you’re stupid enough to spend 2 million on an Elite VISA, then you’re probably spending a fortune here and contributing to the economy and shouldn’t be scared away by stupid PIT changes that have been ill thought out.

Edited by JBChiangRai
Spelking
  • Agree 1

Starting January 1 this year, assessable income sent from abroad by Thais or foreigners residing in Thailand for at least 180 days will be subject to personal income tax...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did they actually Clarify how it goes after all?

Do they impose levy on the remittance from outside Thailand when the money came into the Thai account?

Or does the individual need to lodge tax return?

By now, it only looks like tax chief is barking own wishful thinking though.

Did anyone here ever get any notice from your bank after you credited own money from abroad into your account here?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I do remember seeing a Video where it said Elite Holders were exempt from Tax if they stayed less than 180 days in Thailand during the calendar year (i.e. Exactly the same as any other kind of Visa holder!!!).

I believe Thai Elite is a Private company so it's difficult to see Thailand granting them "Special Tax Considerations" whereas LTR is run by BOI who have a history of providing "Special Tax Considerations" even before the introduction of the LTR & have a Royal Decree confirming that LTR holders are exempt from income tax brought into the country.   

Edit: Would be good to get the name of the Webinar to see if it's the same one that I watched (I've watched so many YT videos on Thailand Tax they blur into one!!!).

Might want to check and see who owns Thai Elite company .

• Like 1

Good afternoon,

I certainly do not understand why Thailand continuosly is shooting its foot off withforiegners whom put substaintail amounts of money into th Thai economy, Especially  with us expats 🙂Tourism is the major backbone of Thailands economy yet things like :1. Charging a travel fee for whatever its is between

300-500 Thai baht to foriegners enterinh Thailand. 2, This dta agreement or as called a double taxation agreement, Trying to tax foregners wealth and pensions which in my country is not allowed and is illegal !! Most countries  goverments tax there pension systems as you work through your life time and you certainly are not attracting expats especially to retire and many are reconsidering retirement elsewhere where this tax scam is nonexistent and cost of living are cheaper or similar to Thailand. How about using a attractive posture,Like retirees wave there taxation and any travel surcharges waive entering Thaoland with the valid retirement visa !! ?????

I'm glad my Nation does not allow double taxation and  any nation doing this should be ashamed of themselves !!! Allowing Thailand to tax there citizens after they worked all there life for retirement !!!

NOT GOOD THAILAND YOU WILL NOT ATTRACT BUSINESS OR EXPATS = ECONOMIC LOSS FOR THAILAND !!!! 🙂 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know for certain and so I don't believe it. If it costs 30K, I want at least 60K in tax savings.....and with Thailand's ever changing tax and immigration laws I don't trust the Elite visa or whatever it is called now, and it's provisions for tax lasting 10 long years. Best to not be a tax resident.....spend 179 days here and don't bother about taxes, you don;t even need to file....then if anyone wants your TIN number....show them your passport 179 day in Thailand, 179 days in Bali, and a few days in Mauritius. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

PR aren’t necessarily wealthy or bring benefit to the economy.

Some people would say if you’re stupid enough to spend 2 million on an Elite VISA, then you’re probably spending a fortune here and contributing to the economy and shouldn’t be scared away by stupid PIT changes that have been ill thought out.

There are four categories under which you can apply for PR, namely Investment, Business, Work and Humanitarian Reasons. By their very nature, the first three are of benefit to Thailand.

When i applied for PR, I had  to have three years uninterrupted income tax returns, which means I was paying personal income tax in Thailand and was therefore bringing benefit to the country. 

Edited by thaiowl
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, thaiowl said:

There are four categories under which you can apply for PR, namely Investment, Business, Work and Humanitarian Reasons. By their very nature, the first three are of benefit to Thailand.

When i applied for PR, I had  to have three years uninterrupted income tax returns, which means I was paying personal income tax in Thailand and was therefore bringing benefit to the country. 

I accept that, there are a lot of humanitarian applications, especially when people retire from jobs here or marry.

6 hours ago, motdaeng said:

... it's turning into an even bigger mess ... making things clear isn't exactly a thai strength ...

... if you can't convince someone, at least confuse them ... :cheesy:

making things clear isn't exactly a thai strength

so true

According to an article about three weeks ago, Thai tax lawyers stated it was against the constitution to access foreign accounts, and that to change this law would take years. I guess that is in place so all the rich people can salt their wealth abroad with impunity.

According to the BBC, the UK government were thinking of a similar taxation system for the rich with money held in the UK. After receiving a report from a top financial company which claimed the country would lose billions, they are now reviewing their policies.  (yesterday on the BBC)  

31 minutes ago, Frankie baby said:

According to the BBC, the UK government were thinking of a similar taxation system for the rich with money held in the UK. After receiving a report from a top financial company which claimed the country would lose billions, they are now reviewing their policies.  (yesterday on the BBC)  

The UK already has a similar remittance based Tax system for "The Rich" (Nom-Doms) which the Tories were planning to scrap & Labour said they would also scrap it. 

Recently a number of reports have cast doubts on the claims that it would raise £3Billion and have stated that it could cost the country £1Billion in lost taxes so it's likely to be watered down and not be a complete removal of Nom-Dom tax breaks  

https://news.sky.com/story/labours-plan-to-crack-down-on-non-doms-could-be-watered-down-amid-concerns-it-will-raise-no-money-13223264

Edited by Mike Teavee

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

Might want to check and see who owns Thai Elite company .

Apologies, Thai Elite is owned by Thailand Tourist Authority which is a government department, but I still maintain they're not as credible when it comes to tax matters as BOI. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

8 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Apologies, Thai Elite is owned by Thailand Tourist Authority which is a government department, but I still maintain they're not as credible when it comes to tax matters as BOI. 

No one is credible until they finish writing the legislation and how they go about applying it. Most will see little impact due to the DTA's that most developed countries have

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, thaiowl said:

What about Permanent Residents? Will they be exempt? I doubt it.

Lol! Use are the ones they have their grubby little finger on. The 800/400k banking con, the produce your life history and 6 months bank statements every year and the on parole 90 day reporting. It will become part of your annual reporting documentation "Tax declaration". Easy pickings.  Question is: will they Tax your 800k/400k in the bank every year as new income? Welcome to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Starting January 1 this year, assessable income sent from abroad by Thais or foreigners residing in Thailand for at least 180 days will be subject to personal income tax.

I'm thoroughly confused. I thought their idea was to tax all assessable income on a worldwide basis, not just that brought into Thailand.

Lots of countries don't tax personal worldwide income/cap gains. 

Singapore and HK are two prominent ones in Asia.

Thailand would be in good company if they just keep the system as is. Otherwise, they will lose most of their wealthy retired expats, killing the real estate industry and a big part of the consumption they represent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spamhead said:

I'm thoroughly confused. I thought their idea was to tax all assessable income on a worldwide basis, not just that brought into Thailand.

World Wide taxation was "suggested" as an objective by the current TRD head who said they were working on the specifics......

Since this should have to go through Parliament and be subject to much discussion even if it goes ahead it is almost impossible that the start point would be before 2025 (so returns in 2026) and realistically later.

• Like 1