Aftermath of Hurricane Helene: Power Outages, Rescue Efforts, and Rising Death Toll

Social Media

1200x675_cmsv2_836e2f45-fd7c-5017-a07e-9

The devastation caused by Hurricane Helene continues to unfold as hundreds remain unaccounted for and millions face extended power outages. The death toll from the storm, which has ravaged multiple states, has risen to at least 128. CNN’s tally provides a breakdown of fatalities by state: North Carolina reports 56 deaths, South Carolina 30, Georgia 25, Florida 11, Tennessee 4, and Virginia 2.

In North Carolina, Mayor Smathers expressed frustration over the collapse of communications, which severely hindered rescue and recovery operations in Canton and Haywood County. "We are facing search and rescue and recovery from a storm in 2024 with 1990s technology. At best,” Smathers told CNN. He emphasized the impact of the communication breakdown, saying, “The number one issue is lack of communication...we lost all cellular communications...and it has crippled every aspect of our ability to respond and to recover.”

Despite the aid that has arrived in Canton, Smathers worries that connectivity issues have prevented proper coordination, which may have led to delays in getting help to those most in need. “I have witnessed with my own eyes, FEMA and state assistance on the ground but due to communication issues I can’t tell you to what degree they are here. I can’t reach my own police officers and firefighters unless I see them in person at the station and town hall,” he said.

Smathers called for more assistance, including additional Starlink capabilities and mobile communication towers, to alleviate the crisis. “I’ve heard they have some in Asheville, we need them too. Bring us connections. Help us get service,” he pleaded.

Canton, which faced extreme destruction in 2021 during Tropical Storm Fred, had prepared for the worst, but the scale of Hurricane Helene surpassed all expectations. Smathers described the scene: “It was apocalyptic here. Creeks became streams, streams became rivers, rivers became oceans... My sister lost her home. Roads and bridges, just washed out and gone.”

Thousands of U.S. National Guard members have been deployed to assist with recovery efforts across the East Coast. Sabrina Singh, the Pentagon’s deputy press secretary, confirmed that personnel from multiple states have been dispatched to help with search and rescue, route clearance, and other essential tasks.

Meanwhile, in Weaverville, North Carolina, Mayor Patrick Fitzsimmons found himself in a disaster zone. The town had no electricity, and its water plant had flooded, leaving residents without safe drinking water for four days. In Buncombe County, where Weaverville is located, 35 people are confirmed dead, and 600 remain unaccounted for. The county has set up a website for residents to inquire about missing persons, with over 11,000 requests received so far.

Hurricane Helene made landfall as a Category 4 storm in Florida, where it caused widespread flooding and power loss before moving across Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee. In the aftermath, millions of residents are still reeling from the chaos, with entire communities wiped out, as North Carolina’s Governor Roy Cooper described.

Madison Shaw, a resident of Anderson, South Carolina, is one of many who lost a loved one. “Her last words to me were… 'I love you, be safe. I'll see you later,’” Shaw recalled, speaking of her mother. “I can't even describe it...my mom was my best friend,” she shared with CBS News.

President Joe Biden called the storm "history-making," as reports of devastation continue to emerge. With millions still without power, recovery efforts face immense challenges, and the full extent of Hurricane Helene’s destruction is only beginning to be realized.

Based on a report from: BBC | CNN | X 2024-10-01

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png