Aftermath of Hurricane Helene: Power Outages, Rescue Efforts, and Rising Death Toll

Social Media

1200x675_cmsv2_836e2f45-fd7c-5017-a07e-9

The devastation caused by Hurricane Helene continues to unfold as hundreds remain unaccounted for and millions face extended power outages. The death toll from the storm, which has ravaged multiple states, has risen to at least 128. CNN’s tally provides a breakdown of fatalities by state: North Carolina reports 56 deaths, South Carolina 30, Georgia 25, Florida 11, Tennessee 4, and Virginia 2.

In North Carolina, Mayor Smathers expressed frustration over the collapse of communications, which severely hindered rescue and recovery operations in Canton and Haywood County. "We are facing search and rescue and recovery from a storm in 2024 with 1990s technology. At best,” Smathers told CNN. He emphasized the impact of the communication breakdown, saying, “The number one issue is lack of communication...we lost all cellular communications...and it has crippled every aspect of our ability to respond and to recover.”

Despite the aid that has arrived in Canton, Smathers worries that connectivity issues have prevented proper coordination, which may have led to delays in getting help to those most in need. “I have witnessed with my own eyes, FEMA and state assistance on the ground but due to communication issues I can’t tell you to what degree they are here. I can’t reach my own police officers and firefighters unless I see them in person at the station and town hall,” he said.

Smathers called for more assistance, including additional Starlink capabilities and mobile communication towers, to alleviate the crisis. “I’ve heard they have some in Asheville, we need them too. Bring us connections. Help us get service,” he pleaded.

Canton, which faced extreme destruction in 2021 during Tropical Storm Fred, had prepared for the worst, but the scale of Hurricane Helene surpassed all expectations. Smathers described the scene: “It was apocalyptic here. Creeks became streams, streams became rivers, rivers became oceans... My sister lost her home. Roads and bridges, just washed out and gone.”

Thousands of U.S. National Guard members have been deployed to assist with recovery efforts across the East Coast. Sabrina Singh, the Pentagon’s deputy press secretary, confirmed that personnel from multiple states have been dispatched to help with search and rescue, route clearance, and other essential tasks.

Meanwhile, in Weaverville, North Carolina, Mayor Patrick Fitzsimmons found himself in a disaster zone. The town had no electricity, and its water plant had flooded, leaving residents without safe drinking water for four days. In Buncombe County, where Weaverville is located, 35 people are confirmed dead, and 600 remain unaccounted for. The county has set up a website for residents to inquire about missing persons, with over 11,000 requests received so far.

Hurricane Helene made landfall as a Category 4 storm in Florida, where it caused widespread flooding and power loss before moving across Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee. In the aftermath, millions of residents are still reeling from the chaos, with entire communities wiped out, as North Carolina’s Governor Roy Cooper described.

Madison Shaw, a resident of Anderson, South Carolina, is one of many who lost a loved one. “Her last words to me were… 'I love you, be safe. I'll see you later,’” Shaw recalled, speaking of her mother. “I can't even describe it...my mom was my best friend,” she shared with CBS News.

President Joe Biden called the storm "history-making," as reports of devastation continue to emerge. With millions still without power, recovery efforts face immense challenges, and the full extent of Hurricane Helene’s destruction is only beginning to be realized.

Based on a report from: BBC | CNN | X 2024-10-01

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

At least he showed up.

Biden was busy sunning himself on the beach in Delaware. Kamala was shmoozing with her rich Hollywood friends in California.

The point is that interfering with rescue workers is not appropriate. Even you should understand that.

When Biden shows up, it will be at a distance.

And yes, Biden has been working the phones with local officials, but it's FEMA's role to coordinate disaster relief.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The point is that interfering with rescue workers is not appropriate. Even you should understand that.

And yes, Biden has been working the phones with local officials, but it's FEMA's role to coordinate disaster relief.

"Distance" is what we got with George W. Bush's Katrina flyover. A president needs to exhibit leadership in a disaster like this . . . or Maui . . . or East Palestine.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I seem to remember a certain President Bush being pilloried by the media during a hurricane, for flying over but not being on the ground.... guess the rules have changed since then. 

At least they could have shown a bit of character and gone back to Washington to coordinate from there. Hobnobbing with Hollywood snobs and relaxing on a sunny beach while Americans die is not a good look. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

At least he showed up.

After Hurricane Matthew hit NC, Tennessee asked President Trump for funding to rebuild.

He gave them 1% of what they asked for. Because the election was over, and he didn't care.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

I seem to remember a certain President Bush being pilloried by the media during a hurricane, for flying over but not being on the ground.... guess the rules have changed since then. 

At least they could have shown a bit of character and gone back to Washington to coordinate from there. Hobnobbing with Hollywood snobs and relaxing on a sunny beach while Americans die is not a good look. 

Yes, Bush generated bad PR. The flyover looked bad, but only because Bush and FEMA screwed up the recovery from Katrina.

But you confuse PR with helping people. Right now, FEMA is doing the real work.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

After Hurricane Matthew hit NC, Tennessee asked President Trump for funding to rebuild.

He gave them 1% of what they asked for. Because the election was over, and he didn't care.

Uh, I think Obama was president at that time...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Uh, I think Obama was president at that time...

I am talking about 2017, when Tennessee needed money to rebuild. Trump wouldn't give them what they needed.

I wouldn't expect you, as a  Canadian, to know about this.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

At least he showed up.

Biden was busy sunning himself on the beach in Delaware. Kamala was shmoozing with her rich Hollywood friends in California.

The truth is Biden didn’t want to create a distraction with a political dog and pony show as the important work of saving lives and mitigating the damage continues president Biden as backed up by the governors in the affected states as they have confirmed.your straight up lie in this time of tragedy in MY country is a cheep low shot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are talking about PR.

I am talking about recovery efforts.

These are not the same thing. Politicians on the ground during recovery can slow things down.

Presidents need to get up close and see what is happening and step in if it's not. "Heckuva job, there, Brownie."

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I am talking about 2017, when Tennessee needed money to rebuild. Trump wouldn't give them what they needed.

I wouldn't expect you, as a  Canadian, to know about this.

Again with the racism..... when will you give it up?

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

The truth is Biden didn’t want to create a distraction with a political dog and pony show as the important work of saving lives and mitigating the damage continues president Biden as backed up by the governors in the affected states as they have confirmed.your straight up lie in this time of tragedy in MY country is a cheep low shot.

Maybe so. But he could have at least cancelled his beach vacation and gone back to Washington to coordinae directly with FEMA.  .

What lie did I tell? The only lie was Biden lying on the beach while America suffered.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Maybe so. But he could have at least cancelled his beach vacation and gone back to Washington to coordinae directly with FEMA.  .

What lie did I tell? The only lie was Biden lying on the beach while America suffered.

Wow what a drama queen you are. The President and VP received regular briefings and kept in contact with Governor Cooper and Brian Kemp, Henry McMaster and FEMA. Meanwhile Trump in his usual disgusting self just can't control his impulse to make this humantarian crisis political. He was given a script but just can't resist his immoral instinct to veered away from the script and make false claims. The man is simply a pathological liar and has no redeeming qualities. 

• Like 2

So the authorities in the OP are claiming that lack of communication is a problem...

"I just spoke to Elon," Trump told supporters, captured on video in Valdosta, Georgia, a small town of 55,000 impacted by Helene, about three and a half hours south of Atlanta.

"We want to get Starlink hooked up because they have no communication whatsoever and Elon will always come through," Trump said, adding "We are going to try and get the Starlink in there as soon as possible."

https://cybernews.com/news/trump-musk-starlink-emergency-internet-hurricane-helene-victims/

Biden and Harris are probably out looking for coffee cans and string.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Presidents need to get up close and see what is happening and step in if it's not. "Heckuva job, there, Brownie."

You don't seem to have a firm understanding of the realities of disaster management.

There are three principal stages of a disaster:

Rescue

Recovery

Rebuilding 

The politicians' prime focus should be on rebuilding. 

All Trump cares about is the photo op, not the people.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

So the authorities in the OP are claiming that lack of communication is a problem...

"I just spoke to Elon," Trump told supporters, captured on video in Valdosta, Georgia, a small town of 55,000 impacted by Helene, about three and a half hours south of Atlanta.

"We want to get Starlink hooked up because they have no communication whatsoever and Elon will always come through," Trump said, adding "We are going to try and get the Starlink in there as soon as possible."

https://cybernews.com/news/trump-musk-starlink-emergency-internet-hurricane-helene-victims/

Dozens of Starlink systems deployed for Hurricane Helene by Biden administration

FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell is On the Ground in North Carolina, Biden-Harris Administration Actively Responding and Providing Life-Saving Support

It would be helpful if you knew what was going on.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

dozens of Starlink systems already deployed by Biden before Trump open his mouth. Shameless projection from you. 
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-says-he-spoke-musk-about-getting-internet-areas-hit-by-hurricane-2024-09-30/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

FEMA’s #1 stated goal is not disaster relief but ‘Equity’ as its foundation. 

Disaster Relief, while not directly mentioned as a Goal, is seemingly covered as a distance 3rd goal.

Personally I find it disturbing at best that Equity & Climate goals come before the traditional mission of Disaster Relief. —————

Per the FEMA website :

Strategic Goal 1: 

Instill equity as a foundation of emergency management.

Strategic Goal 2: Lead whole of community in climate resilience 

Strategic Goal 3: Promoting and sustaining a ready FEMA and prepared nation

https://www.fema.gov/press-release/20230202/fema-lays-foundation-strategic-plan-engages-stakeholders-and-initiates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer555 said:

FEMA’s #1 stated goal is not disaster relief but ‘Equity’ as its foundation. 

Disaster Relief, while not directly mentioned as a Goal, is seemingly covered as a distance 3rd goal.

Personally I find it disturbing at best that Equity & Climate goals come before the traditional mission of Disaster Relief. —————

Per the FEMA website :

Strategic Goal 1: 

Instill equity as a foundation of emergency management.

Strategic Goal 2: Lead whole of community in climate resilience 

Strategic Goal 3: Promoting and sustaining a ready FEMA and prepared nation

https://www.fema.gov/press-release/20230202/fema-lays-foundation-strategic-plan-engages-stakeholders-and-initiates

God forbid we get rescued by a bunch of white guys not dressed in drag...

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Bodies are still warm, and Trump is already trying to get a political advantage from this disaster. What a shame!

(On top of it, Starlink links have already been deployed by the Biden administration)