Is Thailand Value for money

Celsius

13 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Anyone who starts their post with the words "Sugar alcohols aren't bad if you........."  immediately losers any credibility.

Anyone who feels compelled to announce to the world "this has been my life for 50 plus years..." immediately loses any credibility.

You missed where I wrote if you limit their use. You'd be surprised what sugar alcohols are actually in . And why would anyone who has experience in something for 50 years lose credibility? On the contrary, that's what makes a person credible. Experience, and not opinions gained from fly by nights online. Researching is a tad different than bar tool philosophy.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Blah blah.....

Why have sugar alcohol AT ALL?

I haven't assumed anything. I've simply commented on what you actually wrote. Which was purely nonsense.

NY style pizza, shrimp scampi etc and claiming it is healthy. Idiocy IMHO.

You keep saying it's nonsense and that's only your opinion, and it doesn't disprove anything because you aren't a credible person from what you've said. You keep trying to disprove what I'm saying but failed to, only offering up, "it's nonsense". I have been doing this all my life, and know the health value of food. You saying pizza, burgers and scampi etc aren't healthy shows just how little you do know . They CAN be healthy if prepared healthy, just as healthy food can be made un healthy by adding certain things. Research more, go less by others opinions. Simple. I've eaten things with sugar alcohols a long time, limited of course, and they haven't caused me any trouble whatsoever. BP 115/54. resting pulse 58, blood sugar 88, cholesterol below 5.o  body fat under 10% now, from age 17-62 3-6%. If you care to read,...............https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sugar-alcohols-good-or-bad#types

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You keep saying it's nonsense and that's only your opinion, and it doesn't disprove anything because you aren't a credible person from what you've said. You keep trying to disprove what I'm saying but failed to, only offering up, "it's nonsense". I have been doing this all my life, and know the health value of food. You saying pizza, burgers and scampi etc aren't healthy shows just how little you do know . They CAN be healthy if prepared healthy, just as healthy food can be made un healthy by adding certain things. Research more, go less by others opinions. Simple. I've eaten things with sugar alcohols a long time, limited of course, and they haven't caused me any trouble whatsoever. BP 115/54. resting pulse 58, blood sugar 88, cholesterol below 5.o  body fat under 10% now, from age 17-62 3-6%. If you care to read,...............https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sugar-alcohols-good-or-bad#types

Why do you ramble on, trying to defend the indefensible? What is the health reason to add Erythritol to cereal?

Eat whatever crap that you want to eat. Just don't try to shove it down other people's throats. It's crap.

I stopped eating breaded scampi when I was still a teenager. Ditto anything resembling an American pizza.

In fact I don't think there is even a single product in my food cupboards from the USA. I did buy Bertolli EVOO once. Not great. 

I'm happy that you are happy with your condition. But your ideas about what is healthy are just weird. NY Pizza 🤣

You don't seem to be able to take a hint do you? If you can continue with reference to "value for money in Thailand" then fine. But it really seems to be all about your ego. No one believes NY Pizza and cheese burgers are healthy foods.  Just you.

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I never write nonsense, You obviously know nothing about nutrition, and may never have ever read much on it. I have daily for 50 plus years, and staying healthy and strong all my life has proven it. I have given diet advice to thousands while training and working out, and they all benefited from it. That comes from a person that does his homework, and not one who assumes , thinking they know nutrition from reading a few articles from others opinions. You have to put in the time to know any particular subject. Not skim.

....and do please take your own advice about assuming what other people know. You are clearly an obsessive.

19 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Why do you ramble on, trying to defend the indefensible? What is the health reason to add Erythritol to cereal?

Eat whatever crap that you want to eat. Just don't try to shove it down other people's throats. It's crap.

I stopped eating breaded scampi when I was still a teenager. Ditto anything resembling an American pizza.

In fact I don't think there is even a single product in my food cupboards from the USA. I did buy Bertolli EVOO once. Not great. 

I'm happy that you are happy with your condition. But your ideas about what is healthy are just weird. NY Pizza 🤣

You don't seem to be able to take a hint do you? If you can continue with reference to "value for money in Thailand" then fine. But it really seems to be all about your ego. No one believes NY Pizza and cheese burgers are healthy foods.  Just you.

Did I say Erythritol was okay? No, I never use it. I do use Splenda and Equal, limited. I don't eat "crap", and if pizza, burgers, scampi and lasagne, cooked healthy style, are crap to you, you know absolutely nothing about good nutrition. What I say might be weird to you, but that's because you don't understand nutrition like i do, and perhaps go by what a few of your friends have said and not researched about nutrition for 50 years like i have. "No one believes NY pizza and burgers are healthy? How many people do you actually know that know anything about nutrition? I know many, and have read countless books and articles about food for years. But I guess they are all nonsense also. There are countless articles written about the health benefits of certain foods. Do like I do. Look them up. I'm not shoving anything down anyone's throat. I just tell things as they are. it's up to people what they choose to eat. I know what's healthy, and what's not. I give advice and it's always helped. Positive feedback is a clue.Thailand does have some things that are a good value for the money, and much is a complete waste of money, especially building houses and repairing electrical supplies, and fixing roads ,  where they are years behind the west.

Edited by fredwiggy

9 minutes ago, NowNow said:

....and do please take your own advice about assuming what other people know. You are clearly an obsessive.

I could say exactly the same thing about you.................... " No one believes NY Pizza and cheese burgers are healthy foods.  Just you."  I don't obsess about anything besides music and hunting and fishing. You assume what I know, and what others think. I know what professional nutritionists have said. there's a difference.

13 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

but that's because you don't understand nutrition like i do, and perhaps go by what a few of your friends have said and not researched about nutrition for 50 years like i have.

Where do you get off from assuming and writing that rubbish?

You just cannot help yourself can you? You don't even have the slightest clue about me, yet you have repeated that utter rubbish at least five times. You are an obsessive. You cannot let it go, no matter how wrong you are and how ridiculous you appear. I've seen the same from you in relationship discussions. On and on.... 

You just post rubbish and double down on your nonsense. Like your insistence that anyone coming from Italy to the USA, automatically can produce identical pizza to the best in Italy 😊

You think because you write it or read something something somewhere, it becomes a fait accompli. But you actually don't know anything at all.

Value. Thailand.

I don't want to read anything more about you. You are coming over like an obsessive narcissist. You just live in your little bubble, but haven't really been anywhere at all.

Just now, NowNow said:

Where do you get off from assuming and writing that rubbish?

You just cannot help yourself can you? You don't even have the slightest clue about me, yet you have repeated that utter rubbish at least five times. You are an obsessive. You cannot let it go, no matter how wrong you are and how ridiculous you appear. I've seen the same from you in relationship discussions. On and on.... 

You just post rubbish and double down on your nonsense. Like your insistence that anyone coming from Italy to the USA, automatically can produce identical pizza to the best in Italy 😊

You think because you write it or read something something somewhere, it becomes a fait accompli. But you actually don't know anything at all.

Value. Thailand.

I don't want to read anything more about you. You are coming over like an obsessive narcissist. You just live in your little bubble, but haven't really been anywhere at all.

But I'm not wrong. And I thought it was you, thinking, again, that Italy makes superior pizza to NYC, when NYC tied them in ratings. Another foolish argument, because good pizza comes from many cities worldwide. Whatever I appear to you isn't for you to decide on what others think. There are some here that understand what I've been saying, and you think it's rubbish. Again, your opinion, and meaningless. I know nutrition better than you, your replies showing this well. When I read something, from many reputable sources, and they all say the same things, it's quite clear it becomes factual.

This is what you aren't getting, and probably never will. By the way, people coming from Italy and making pizza in the US, can make pizza that's just as good as in Italy. Remember, you're just a visitor to the US, and trying a few pizzas there doesn't qualify you as an expert. It's just your opinion. What I've said about pizza and burgers,etc being healthy, is a fact. Look it up instead of posting silly retorts.

And you thinking you're right all along, with no evidence that I'm wrong, while I've posted evidence I am, shows you are definitely a narcissist, because they never agree with anyone, thinking they're always right, with no evidence on their sides besides their own opinions. Give it a rest. Assuming I've never been anywhere, am posting rubbish, nonsense, whatever, shows you're not too bright. You are the one not letting it go, and just saying I'm wrong, not realizing you've been wrong all along. Try reading what others write, not skimming, and researching , before you reply, as it's the best recourse.

On 10/1/2024 at 7:11 PM, couchpotato said:

Such rubbish...

Is it? I have many friends who will not come to Thailand again because they were ripped of. I got ripped of in Thailand so many times I moved back to the West.

17 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Because many fruits contain them in amounts that do not cause health issues when the whole edible fruit is eaten.

So let's add it to cereal 🤣 I just add fruit to my cereal. That is the healthy choice.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

But I'm not wrong. And I thought it was you, thinking, again, that Italy makes superior pizza to NYC, when NYC tied them in ratings. Another foolish argument, because good pizza comes from many cities worldwide. Whatever I appear to you isn't for you to decide on what others think. There are some here that understand what I've been saying, and you think it's rubbish. Again, your opinion, and meaningless. I know nutrition better than you, your replies showing this well. When I read something, from many reputable sources, and they all say the same things, it's quite clear it becomes factual.

This is what you aren't getting, and probably never will. By the way, people coming from Italy and making pizza in the US, can make pizza that's just as good as in Italy. Remember, you're just a visitor to the US, and trying a few pizzas there doesn't qualify you as an expert. It's just your opinion. What I've said about pizza and burgers,etc being healthy, is a fact. Look it up instead of posting silly retorts.

And you thinking you're right all along, with no evidence that I'm wrong, while I've posted evidence I am, shows you are definitely a narcissist, because they never agree with anyone, thinking they're always right, with no evidence on their sides besides their own opinions. Give it a rest. Assuming I've never been anywhere, am posting rubbish, nonsense, whatever, shows you're not too bright. You are the one not letting it go, and just saying I'm wrong, not realizing you've been wrong all along. Try reading what others write, not skimming, and researching , before you reply, as it's the best recourse.

No. There was no tie, it's marketing. You really don't have a clue.

Please show me the articles that assert that NY style pizza, Cheese burgers and shrimp scampi are healthy foods.

On 10/4/2024 at 11:52 PM, fredwiggy said:

There is a lot of delicious healthy and somewhat healthy food out there, as it's all I've ever eaten besides the occasional junk food. Try Texas BBQ, New York style pizza, Shrimp Scampi, Lasagne (homemade), Australian, Texas, or a myriad of other cheeseburgers, Broiled Swordfish, and a host of others who might have some extra calories but are still healthy food.

You told @thaibeachlovers that those were all healthy foods. Show him the definitive proof. So far the links you have supplied have suggested exactly the opposite. Where can he go for the healthy versions?

Anywhere in Thailand? Show us a recipe for a healthy cheeseburger, NY Pizza and shrimp scampi.

Something not quite right with you.... :whistling:

18 minutes ago, NowNow said:

No. There was no tie, it's marketing. You really don't have a clue.

Please show me the articles that assert that NY style pizza, Cheese burgers and shrimp scampi are healthy foods.

You told @thaibeachlovers that those were all healthy foods. Show him the definitive proof. So far the links you have supplied have suggested exactly the opposite. Where can he go for the healthy versions?

Anywhere in Thailand? Show us a recipe for a healthy cheeseburger, NY Pizza and shrimp scampi.

Something not quite right with you.... :whistling:

Do you actually read anything or just get your information from friends? You can, if you choose to educate yourself on the subject, look up many links of how pizza and burgers can be healthy, and I did provide a link about pizza. Burgers can be un healthy or healthy. It depends on who makes them and with what. This is common sense. The same goes for many other foods. I've been into nutrition all my life. Read and re-read countless articles about what foods a person should eat for the best nutritional value, how to eat to stay lean, lower cholesterol, reduce body fat, lower your risks for diseases etc etc etc. A person who does this looks for all the information he can to improve his health, along with others he's training. It's called a job...............https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a26149219/is-pizza-healthy/.

Here in Thailand I have had decent pizza, and I see that there are more places that supposedly have good pizza. Many cities worldwide have great pizza, according to other's opinions. This all started because you wanted to somehow disprove what I said about pizza et al, being healthy. You did this because I argued in an earlier post, saying NYC/New Jersey pizza is among the best worldwide. It is, and has been voted in many times. Italy had number one, along with Napolitano's. This is easily looked up. You disputing the poll thinking it's marketing is your opinion, and your deal. It doesn't make you right. It's all opinions about who makes the best of anything. Of course, places that get voted in every year must have good pizza if they're getting the majority of the votes. You thinking you know more than anyone about who makes the best, just because you tried a couple in NYC and Italy, means nothing. Your opinion, that's all. Like I said, if you want information, google it, instead of thinking you're right and others are wrong, just because you think so. I found this link, just gor you, in 5 seconds, although you will say it's wrong, marketing, lies, nonsense, rubbish, because? You think you're always right. Sorry to upset your wagon.....................https://www.consumerreports.org/health/healthy-eating/build-a-healthy-burger-a2658617628/

Edited by fredwiggy

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Do you actually read anything or just get your information from friends? You can, if you choose to educate yourself on the subject, look up many links of how pizza and burgers can be healthy, and I did provide a link about pizza. Burgers can be un healthy or healthy. It depends on who makes them and with what. This is common sense. The same goes for many other foods. I've been into nutrition all my life. Read and re-read countless articles about what foods a person should eat for the best nutritional value, how to eat to stay lean, lower cholesterol, reduce body fat, lower your risks for diseases etc etc etc. A person who does this looks for all the information he can to improve his health, along with others he's training. It's called a job.

Here in Thailand I have had decent pizza, and I see that there are more places that supposedly have good pizza. Many cities worldwide have great pizza, according to other's opinions. This all started because you wanted to somehow disprove what I said about pizza et al, being healthy. You did this because I argued in an earlier post, saying NYC/New Jersey pizza is among the best worldwide. It is, and has been voted in many times. Italy had number one, along with Napolitano's. This is easily looked up. You disputing the poll thinking it's marketing is your opinion, and your deal. It doesn't make you right. It's all opinions about who makes the best of anything. Of course, places that et voted in every year must have good pizza if they're getting the majority of the votes. You thinking you know more than anyone about who makes the best, just because you tried a couple in NYC and Italy, means nothing. Your opinion, that's all. Like I said, if you want information, google it, instead of thinking you're right and others are wrong, just because you think so.

@fredwiggy I trained at a world class level for a number of years. I need 3x the calorific intake of a normal male. Unlike yourself, I actually know what I write about, where is clear that you rely on a bluffer's guide.

if you were right, then it stands to reason that there would be a body of professionals who would agree with you that NY Pizza, cheese burgers and shrimp scampi were all healthy choices. But, as expected, you cannot find any source that backs up your assertion. That means it's just you. A narcissist who truly believes that he knows better than everyone else. I cannot help you further. 

• Sad 1

On 10/1/2024 at 12:48 PM, mania said:

Those who have money would never consider Thailand period.

That is the truth of it. Thailand was & always will be a race to the bottom price wise.  Yes you can live a somewhat better life in Thailand than most western countries on the same budget but it is still a budget life filled with low quality food, products, home & condo construction, even the air for part of the year in most places is of poor AQI quality.

Recent floods that left towns floating in diarrhea water due to open sewer systems + the lack of any planning or warning not to mention zero help by police or military during the mini catastrophe showed exactly how things are done here. Imagine a really large problem.

Expats who live in Thailand are 99.9% folks that found they could not have a decent life anywhere else.

That is not a bad thing & also not a put down on expats who choose Thailand for that reason.

Thailand would do well to remember that is the reason too.

Because while those expats cannot afford a nice life in their country they do help Thailand in many ways by spending their dimes here.

But to your question I would say 101% NO Thailand is not good value for those who can afford better of course not.

Thailand is good value for those that cannot afford better period

Interesting comments

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

@fredwiggy I trained at a world class level for a number of years. I need 3x the calorific intake of a normal male. Unlike yourself, I actually know what I write about, where is clear that you rely on a bluffer's guide.

if you were right, then it stands to reason that there would be a body of professionals who would agree with you that NY Pizza, cheese burgers and shrimp scampi were all healthy choices. But, as expected, you cannot find any source that backs up your assertion. That means it's just you. A narcissist who truly believes that he knows better than everyone else. I cannot help you further. 

Did I miss something, as didn't know we were discussing a 'training diet', just healthier options/version  diet of what most people eat.  Which is crap, going by all the obesity walking around.

That should be protein, healthier fats, fibrous carbs, little to no starchy carbs & no sugar, if possible.

Depends what you're training for, strength or endurance or both.

23 hours ago, newnative said:

'Americans are actually quite poor.', you say.   I would disagree.   It's true that there were 36.8 million Americans living in poverty in 2023.  That's out of 345 million people.   36.8 million is a large number, yes, but many, many more Americans--over 300 million--are not living in poverty, they are not 'quite poor'.  

As I said in an earlier post, the figure I found most interesting was the number of millionaires.  One site said 24.5 million, another 23.7 million.  With either figure, that's a lot, too.  I actually think 24.5 million is way too low. 

These days, it doesn't take much to hit a million dollars in assets in the US--you can come close with mostly just two things.  1. Have Greatest Generation parents.  They worked hard, were thrifty, saved, and many passed along money and/or real estate to their children.  This happened with a number of people I know. 

2.  Be a USA home owner.  Lots of homes in the US, in lots of places, have appreciated in  value to at least half a million dollars or more.  The average price of a home where I used to live in the US is now over $600,000.  My siblings and all my US friends are homeowners, and each home I know of is probably worth at least $400,000 to $500,000, or more.  Combine that home value with inherited money and many Baby Boomers, not to mention others, are close to a million already--without even throwing in inherited money from a spouse's parents, 401k money, cars, furnishings, stocks, mutual funds, and other investments.   

Someone recently said on a thread something to the effect that a million dollars in assets isn't that special these days and they are right--it no longer is.  And, the number of millionaires in the US is bound to grow as Baby Boomers  pass along not only their wealth, but the wealth they inherited from their Greatest Generation parents, to their children.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_millionaires

Most of the wealth of these millionaires is tied to their home, illiquid asset, so the majority of these millionaires need to stay where they are, and pay "millionaires" prices for everything.

For example if 5% of these millionaires try to sell their house and move somewhere else, they may find that they are not millionaires anymore, as the house prices will plummet, as there are not enough millionaires to buy them.

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Did I miss something, as didn't know we were discussing a 'training diet', just healthier options/version  diet of what most people eat.  Which is crap, going by all the obesity walking around.

That should be protein, healthier fats, fibrous carbs, little to no starchy carbs & no sugar, if possible.

Depends what you're training for, strength or endurance or both.

Perhaps you missed @fredwiggy clownish pronouncements of me not knowing anything about nutrition, with him being the preeminent reference for all things nutritional. He neglected to ask and instead assumed he knew best. Just like his foolish claims that NY pizza, shrimp scampi and cheese burgers are healthy foodstuffs.

Equally ridiculous, was your agreeing with him. 😊

I trained for both. 

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You are lucky you got cheese. 

I bought a pizza on walking street..... NO CHEESE. 

It should be against the law to sell a pizza without cheese. 

Well, that's the thing about them Walking St. pizzas. You got to bring your own cheese. Then what you do is request NO CRUST as you hand over your cheese for them to mix in a bowl with the other ingredients. Presto! Yer healthy Walking St. pizza.

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

I trained for both. 

If you say so, good for you.  I've worked in restaurants myself, including involved with catering service of first class airline's food, when they really were first class.

Only 60 yrs experience in the kitchen.  

With all that experience you have, it's a shame you can't simply admit, when you may have been mistaken.

Have a nice day.

Edited by KhunLA

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you say so, good for you.  I've worked in restaurants myself, including involved with catering service of first class airline's food, when they really were first class.

With all that experience you have, it's a shame you can't simply admit, when you may have been mistaken.

Have a nice day.

Another one? 😊

Neither of you have managed to come up with any references to back up the claims of NY Pizza, Cheese burgers and shrimp scampi being healthy choices. Not even a single reference. But yet you try to suggest that I am mistaken. 😊

Why @fredwiggy even brought it up in the first place is strange enough. Where did he think @thaibeachlovers was going to source them? 😊

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Have a nice day.

60 years you say? I was of the belief that the pictures of food that you posted where the efforts of a retiree who was learning how to cook via YouTube. I didn't see anything that indicated vast experience.

Training wasn't my job nor career. It was just a part of my life.

Maybe you can use your vast experience to help everyone out with healthy versions of the dishes mentioned by @fredwiggy so that we can make them in Thailand. It should be child's play to you.

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You are lucky you got cheese. 

I bought a pizza on walking street..... NO CHEESE. 

It should be against the law to sell a pizza without cheese. 

LOL. On one of the islands I ordered an egg salad and got sliced boiled egg, with no salad. My Thai GF at the time didn't let me complain. Probably wise as had I done so and got some lettuce to add who know what "extras" it may have had included?

A good lesson I learned in LOS is if have a problem with one place just don't return. Complaining does not work. At least in LOS there are plenty of places to choose from.

• Agree 1