Bangkok Raid Unveils Contraband Goods in Chinese-Owned Minimarts

snoop1130

Yaowarat_at_night_(32455695783).jpg

In a dramatic crackdown, police in Bangkok's Huai Khwang district have raided 10 Chinese-owned minimarts, responding to complaints about the sale of smuggled foreign goods. The operation, led by Vice Minister of Public Health Thanakrit Chit-areerat, marks a significant step in the Thai government's fight against contraband and unregistered products.

The Network for Thai Entrepreneur Protection initially raised the alarm, providing compelling evidence that the goods lacked both Thai language labelling and the necessary Food and Drug Administration (FDA) certification. This illegal practice has unfairly undercut local businesses by setting artificially low prices, making competition nearly impossible for legitimate operators.

Known for its Chinese tourist and business presence, the Huai Khwang area has often attracted scrutiny. Yet, this raid highlights the broader issue: it’s not solely a matter of public health but an economic concern, with substantial sums of money allegedly being sent directly back to China, bypassing local economic circulation.

“We won’t stop at malpractice against FDA regulations,” Thanakrit emphasised. “We will investigate further whether there is any money laundering involved. The issue is not just about health but also the economy.”

While the results of this raid remain undisclosed, the government’s actions have set a precedent. Officials from the Department of Revenue and anti-money laundering units are expected to scrutinise the financial practices of these stores, ensuring thorough investigations.

This operation coincides with another critical raid involving eleven Chinese supermarkets across four Bangkok districts, including Samphanthawong, Lak Si, Bueng Kum, and Huai Khwang, found selling products failing to meet legal safety standards.

As authorities continue their crackdown on illegal practices, the message is clear: compliance with Thai laws is non-negotiable, and protective measures for both consumers and local businesses are strengthening.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

raided 10 Chinese-owned minimarts, responding to complaints about the sale of smuggled foreign goods

So how do they get permission to open and operate?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

an economic concern, with substantial sums of money allegedly being sent directly back to China,

Not in the slightest way is this uncommon, same with the tour groups & Chinese run hotels ................LOL

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Not in the slightest way is this uncommon, same with the tour groups & Chinese run hotels ................LOL

GEE! what a surprise! I knw this would happen as it has happened forever.,...prior to the Chinese doing this, Japan used to be the same.  They changed the name of one manufacturing city in Japan to USA and that was stamped on all the products -"Made in USA".  But eventually, the Japanese products were better or at least as good as the ones being copied.  The Chinese goods I believe are substandard but really cheap!

4 hours ago, jippytum said:

Thai language labels stuck on foreign imported goods  often obscures required cooking and ingredient information. 

Are you serious ? you wouldn't feed some of this stuff to your dog. YouTube has hundreds of vids on the malfeasance going on in the food industry in communist china. Tere is no regulation, standard or checking authority in the communist state ......caveat Emptor ..

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We will investigate further whether there is any money laundering involved. The issue is not just about health but also the economy.”

As if it were about health...

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

In my local mall they blatantly sell fake products, most common are Gucci and Adidas, they usually use the correct letters but not necessarily in the correct order:

IMG_4838.jpeg.63400cec6de2936dc934e28fdfbc4da8.jpeg

Oooooo....so close....555

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, black tabby12345 said:

Since my settlement here, I have witnessed quite a few not-so-rich people are carrying  supposedly pricy High Brand bags (e.g. Gucci).

image.png.69003270379521416f984d11ee00c3e2.png

Indeed…. It’s not what you wear but how you wear it…

Wife ‘looks’ like a hi-so but I’m too cheap to go for the real Chopard or Chanel so she gets decent copys (not sure from

where)… the amusing part is that everyone assumes they are real - she doesn’t bother about it & is quite open that the stuff is fake Shyite…

She gets her clothes from Shien & looks million $$$ - she has a way of wearing stuff that ‘just looks good’….

It’s great for me, cos I can just wear anything & by association get treated extremely well. 

The faux face here & money worship is amusing - I see it as part of an amusing game.