Melania Trump Advocates for Abortion Rights in New Memoir

Social Media

image.png

Melania Trump is set to make headlines with the release of her upcoming memoir, "Melania," where she voices strong support for reproductive rights. In a departure from her husband’s public stance, the former first lady emphasizes a woman’s right to control her own body, including the right to terminate a pregnancy.

In a copy of the book obtained by The Guardian, Melania writes, “Restricting a woman’s right to choose whether to terminate an unwanted pregnancy is the same as denying her control over her own body. I have carried this belief with me throughout my entire adult life.”

The memoir, scheduled for release next Tuesday, reveals that Melania has long held these views on reproductive autonomy. She questions why “anyone other than the woman herself” should have the power to make decisions about her body. Reflecting on her personal philosophy, the former first lady adds, “I have always believed it is critical for people to take care of themselves first.”

Despite their often divergent political opinions, Melania reportedly acknowledges in the memoir that she has preferred to keep disagreements with her husband private. “I believed in addressing them privately rather than publicly challenging him,” she writes.

Melania’s stance on abortion rights sharply contrasts with that of her husband, former President Donald Trump, who oversaw the conservative transformation of the U.S. Supreme Court that led to the overturning of Roe v. Wade. Donald Trump has been clear about his stance, expressing no regrets about the end of the constitutional right to abortion. He has also advocated for decisions on abortion to be made at the state level and supported exceptions for cases of rape, incest, or threats to the life of the mother. On Tuesday, Trump reiterated his position, stating he would veto a federal abortion ban if re-elected.

In her memoir, Melania also delves into the complex moral implications surrounding abortion, including personal and medical concerns faced by women. She writes, “These situations with significant moral implications weigh heavily on the woman and her family and deserve our empathy. Consider, for example, the complexity inherent in the decision of whether the mother should risk her own life to give birth.” She also expresses her support for requiring minors to obtain parental consent before an abortion but recognizes that it “may not always be possible.”

Interestingly, Melania addresses the cultural divide surrounding the slogan "My Body, My Choice." While it is commonly associated with pro-choice activists, she contends that the principle behind the phrase applies to both sides of the debate. "Personal freedom," she says, should be at the heart of a woman’s right to make decisions about her own body, including the choice to have an abortion or to choose life.

The Trump campaign has not yet responded to inquiries about Melania’s forthcoming memoir or her views on reproductive rights. The book, which offers a rare glimpse into the personal beliefs of the former first lady, is expected to generate widespread attention given the ongoing debate over abortion rights in the United States.

Based on a report from: The Hill 2024-10-04

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Haha 2

One can't help but wonder if Melania is trying to soften the GOP stance on abortion, to help Trump.  Lord knows Trump doesn't care either way, he just wants to get the votes.  Surprised that the anti-abortion brigade hasn't said a peep.  You'd think they'd be aghast.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Watawattana said:

The timing of the release of this book, right in the middle of the Presidential campaign, is absolutely stunning to me.  I guess she'll be voting for Kamala?

Further point, did she actually write or contribute specific text for this book? 

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

No reason a modern woman has to agree with her husband's views on abortion.  

Free speech is welcome in the US. 

No it's not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

One can't help but wonder if Melania is trying to soften the GOP stance on abortion, to help Trump.  Lord knows Trump doesn't care either way, he just wants to get the votes.  Surprised that the anti-abortion brigade hasn't said a peep.  You'd think they'd be aghast.

The timing of her leaked abortion position just a day after Trump made his posting on Truth Social claiming to veto anynational abortion ban and the hush of Maga political leaders are give-aways that this was staged to help Trump. Melania has always been part of Trump's cabal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Most Americans support reasonable restrictions on abortion. I doubt Melania beleives in leaving live aborted babies to die, like they do in Minnesota. Besides, its a states issue and arent you happy that neither Trump is not going to outlaw abortion?

I'm pleased that I was the first one to respond with a laughing out loud emoticon.

I doubt I will be the last.

I am not surprised: Abortion, in Slovenia, was legalized for the first time in January 1952, and in its current form in July 1977 (Slovenia was then part of communist ruled Yugoslavia).

Abortion is available on-demand without further conditions for women whose pregnancies have not exceeded 10 weeks. After the 10th week, it must be approved by a medical committee.

• Thumbs Up 1