Those were the days.

owl sees all

9 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Wally Bellett playing for Chelsea 

''Named the sports photograph of the year, the ‘splash’ image as it came to be known stars the legendary Tom Finney sliding on a waterlogged Stamford Bridge pitch, with Bellett behind the wall of water thrown up. It was the inspiration for a statue and fountain outside Preston’s Deepdale ground.''

Quote taken from https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/wally-bellett-1933-2022

Regarding that orange ball pic in the OP: that is Bangor City v Liverpool in a friendly on 27th Jan 1979. Liverpool captain is Emlyn Hughes, his dad was a Welsh rugby player, by the by.

The match was played to give Liverpool some game time when many fixtures were postponed because of the wintry weather accross the country. Liverpool didn't play a single league game in January.

Readers may recall that the UK was in the midst of "the Winter of discontent" with heavy snow that wasn't shifted because of strikes by local government workers. In May Maggie Thatcher won her first General Election.

Sources: Google.

• Like 1

muddyfootball.png.268c93b39e9e8ef7a69e9b4fcaa8e486.png

Until quite recently, a muddy pitch was quite acceptable. The change - at least as far as the top flight was concerned - was the formation of the EPL. There were quite defined rules on pitches. Suddenly the Head Groundsman was recognised as being more important than the tea-lady.

But back in the day; mad was quite acceptable. Champers has (earlier post) pointed to the Baseball ground mud heap.

mud-derby.png.8eabb6bd5fbcbd3405ae88f8dab757c3.png

But being a Londoner, and not often able to travel outside the capital, meant that I saw the worst mud on the London pitches.

The big three were; QPR, Charlton and The Bridge. QPR overcame it, as did Luton, with plastic turf. That soon died a death however.

Sturdy boots and shin pads were essential wear.

mud-tossup.jpg.5ecc31ffdb05e6a3921337e9e9420bb7.jpg

A couple of Charlton pics.

mud-Chrlton.png.f3fb68b27ebe8565ae53e3de1a878bcc.png

mud-CharltonvPNE37.png.0b44e8e46b54a2362c2bae9e3903e3e4.png

QPR.

mud-QPR.png.2aef0ef17af1b0375860e6ec61d49672.png

What's going on at the Bridge?

wet-chelsea.png.c57cb93041fb202b12fba3a5e24760c9.png

Away from London it must have been just the same. Here, Leicester are trialing their new soil spiker.

wet-Foxes.png.8a00287ea6e9024e048c2f5d036080ea.png

Man City, Spurs and Black Cats played on one of the worst pitches ever. The ground-staff, in Hong Kong, were famed for over-watering the playing area. They played in a close-season tournament in 2013

Here, Negredo (Man City forward) tries cooling the blood. As the Flanders and Swann song goes.

Negredo-HongKong.png.15e5ee942ee2ce57ca48a0112112f655.png

And the Hippos would be quite at home in this European ground.

swamp-footy.png.1602598693e06f8f38b9bc9aebf9da5e.png

Next post; snow and ice, and all things nice.

Edited by owl sees all

21 minutes ago, Dancer57 said:

Great post!

I played amateur football in these conditions - Those were the days🤣

I played amateur and some semi-pro until retiring at 42. I was getting injuries and couldn't shake them off. Got a groin injury, in Lincolnshire somewhere, and it stayed with me all season. Time to stop.

There was a match in Hainault. It was wet and muddy. I was watching the game and a player went off injured. They had no sub on hand (although at that time there was none allowed in the higher levels). I had my kit in the car boot and offered to take his place. Accepted by all. The ref came over and said not to head the ball. Well; I plain forgot. Nearly knocked myself out.

The dizziness stayed with me for days. I couldn't drive home. Good job the wife was with me. Who was still a learner. Never heard the end of it.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1