Bus Owner Caught Trying to Hide Illegal Gas Cylinders After Deadly Fire

webfact

6 hours ago, smedly said:

This really doesn't surprise me, they should be jailed including officials

And there are for sure ten of thousand buses like that in Thailand. Also Mercedes should look into this and sue bus owners for using their brand name on buses that obviously are not Mercedes anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

11 or 6  it would not have mattered, dollars for donuts the installation was substandard every time.

This bunch are not concerned about pride in their work.

Anywhere else there would be a class action filed by the parents, and they would be sued out of existence with jail time.

The only way to prevent this from happening in the future.

8 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

The onus is on the owner and manager to implement safety regulations. Drivers are powerless . If you don’t want to drive, they just get some other drivers. Given the low level of education of Thais, I am not surprised if drivers or even owners are not aware of the 6 cylinder rule. 

I agree, but the gas fitters 'should' know and refuse to do it but money is #1 here as usual.

The absolutely appalling disregard for life safety which the company has displayed demands that the most severe criminal negligence penalties be imposed on those responsible. 

Edited by Gecko123

26 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Oh, you are justifying his poor behaviour. 

It shows me your character, you'd be a person who would run away to. 

Well I certainly would not enter a burning inferno, no more than I would run into the sea with a bad rip to try to save anyone. And by the way I have saved kids from drowning 4 in all. His Poor 'behavior' (spelt correctly) was running away from a situation he was unable to control, in fear or panic we will probably never know, but he did try his best, by attempting to extinguish the fire and trying to open the door. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Love It 1

11 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The absolutely appalling disregard for life safety which the company has displayed demand that the most severe criminal penalties be imposed on those responsible. 

I agree and to save what 30-45 minutes on a trip to refill legal gas tanks, buy fitting extra ones. 

2 hours ago, WoodyKenny said:

God be with the families that lost loves ones and family members.  Sadly this is  Asia.. The same things happens in The Philippines with Trucks and vehicles.

Because the Police, LDT, Government does NOTHING when it comes to highway safety.. Many alter lights, height, LOADS CARRIED, Passenger limit etc etc etc..  The Failed DLT, LTO and System that has always been in place continues and will continue until it hits home hard... Until then it will never change.. Again...God bless and be with these families...

This is also a serious strike against the tourism in Thailand as well. Ruling governments should think about that as well. Not only school kids.

3 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

You will never begin to end the endless parade of tragic tragedies until people like this are prosecuted to the fullest. 

True.....but you also need to eliminate the corruption option. Everyone knows that whatever the prosecution, corruption can be a way out.

• Like 1

It's all panic among Bus / Coach companies now, wait until a few brown envelopes have  changed hands,   and then its back to  how it was

Edited by actonion
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well I certainly would not enter a burning inferno, no more than I would run into the sea with a bad rip to try to save anyone. And by the way I have saved kids from drowning 4 in all. His Poor 'behavior' (spelt correctly) was running away from a situation he was unable to control, in fear or panic we will probably never know, but he did try his best, by attempting to extinguish the fire and trying to open the door. 

"His Poor 'behavior' (spelt correctly)"

Wrong! Behavior is the preferred spelling in American English. Behaviour is preferred everywhere else.

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It seems you have been asleep. 

The driver ran from the scene, leaving the rear door shut leaving those poor little children to perish. 

The driver's bus was illegally modified, his death trap blew, as a human being, he had an obligation to help the people on board his bus. 

That is what I was led to believe reading the article, however, talking to the boss this morning She said on the Thai news the driver ran to get a fire extinguisher, and He, along with another person were trying to get back into the bus. Guess we may never know exactly what happened apart from the usual money before life attitude coupled with the obvious corruption and ineptness of the regulating authorities..... Still bringing tears up everytime I think of it...:crying:

29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

And one of the banned occupations for Foreigners. They need to get some UK inspectors here to train Thai inspectors, but of course that will never happen here, Thais know everything better init. The cursory inspections here are a bad joke, one inspector when it needs 2 minimum, and over an hour to inspect, they are hopeless, they never even jack the wheels of the ground, use a lever, or use a small ball Peen hammer to tap every visible nut for tightness, grab the prop shaft to see wear in UJ joints, pump the air till the buzzers go off and then timed to see how long it takes to recharge the tanks, rock the steering from side to side to check ball joints. NONE of this is done in Thailand. They have no Idea how to check anything correctly.

Sounds like you're the ideal man for the job as you seem to know everything that should be done!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I agree, but the gas fitters 'should' know and refuse to do it but money is #1 here as usual.

The gas fitters will have been told by their bosses - "Do it or find another job"

6 hours ago, it is what it is said:

still blaming the driver? :coffee1:

The driver is still culpable for 1) not checking condition of the tires, emergency exits etc 2) reckless driving 3) not assisting more with the evacuation including ensuring all doors and emergency exits were open and smashing windows if necessary... the mechanics at the garage removing the illegal gas tanks on other buses are also guilty of assisting to conceal the illegal modifications across the fleet. 

1 hour ago, jchfriis said:

After the PM's statement about road safety, now is a good opportunity for her to show what she is made of.

sugar and spice and all things nice ?   Everybody , except you it seems,   knows what she is made from, and it is what, or rather more importantly , who,  she is made from that has got her to where she is. If you are expecting a spark of genius or any sort of departure from the norm you are going to be bitterly disappointed

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You are slightly out with your calculations, not to good at maths 😂😂😂😂

Sadly, I just heard on the local radio station 13,000. 

He didn't say he counted all the buses that are on the roads - just the ones he saw - he didn't do any calculations!

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

His probable reason for panicking and fleeing is that after he tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the fire, he realised that wherever happened next, he would be the one getting hung out to dry.

Hung out to dry, or worse !   he could have been lynched,  It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened 

Nobody commenting on his actions has ever been in the same situation, and as such , nobody has any idea how they would actually react if it was them in his position.  Once it was obvious that there was no chance of getting anybody else out alive how many on here would relish the prospect of simply standing there listening to the screams of those being burnt to death

Its very easy to make scathing comments about his behaviour from behind ones keyboard,  This thread, at first glance, appears to be populated nearly exclusively by self proclaimed, have a go, dare devil heroes,  I think the reality is somewhat different to be honest

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Hung out to dry, or worse !   he could have been lynched,  It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened

I'm blown away that the company owner hasn't already succumbed to violence.

25 minutes ago, fresher said:

MB dealerships. In Thailand, people know what is going on, but do nothing

And quite rightly so , Its just a sticker for god's sake and has NO bearing on the incident whatsoever,