Pick-up Truck Swerves to Avoid Motorcycle, Crashes into School Van: Six Injured, Phetchabun

IMG_6391.jpeg

Na Chaliang Police Station received a report at 16.40 on October 4, of a collision between a pick-up truck and a school van at kilometre marker 184 on the Saraburi-Lom Sak Road in Huai Pong sub-district, Nong Phai district, Phetchabun. The accident resulted in five injuries in the school van.

At the scene, authorities found a damaged school van belonging to Kuladis Wittayanusorn School. The rear of the van showed clear signs of being struck, with the rear wheels dislodged. Among those injured were the van driver and four students, who were rushed to Nong Phai Hospital.

Nearby, a black pick-up truck with registration number from Phetchabun was found heavily damaged at the front. Additionally, a motorcycle was found at the scene, also severely damaged. The motorcyclist, identified as Mr. Phada (surname withheld), aged 67, was found unconscious and was immediately taken to Nong Phai Hospital for emergency care.

Initial investigations revealed that the motorcycle had abruptly cut in front of the pick-up truck, forcing the driver of the truck to swerve. The pick-up then lost control, colliding with the rear of the school van. The impact caused the van to veer off the road, cross the median, and crash into a tree. Police have called in both the pick-up and van drivers for questioning as they continue their investigation into the exact cause of the accident.

Dr. Bundit Kruthangka, head of Kuladis Wittayanusorn School, stated that he rushed to the scene upon hearing the news. After visiting the hospital, he reported that most of the injuries were minor, though one student suffered a broken arm. He noted that the accident occurred after the students had finished their final exams, and the van was en route to drop the last four students at their homes.

One of the parents, Mrs. Jaruwan (surname withheld), aged 35, shared her distress. “I was waiting for my child to come home when I received a call about the accident. I was in shock, especially since I was still shaken from a recent bus fire incident. Seeing the state of the van broke my heart, but fortunately, my child only sustained minor injuries. After speaking with them and seeing they were responsive, I felt a little relieved,” she said.

Authorities continue to investigate the incident to determine legal action.

Picture from responders.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-05

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

image.png

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Police have called in both the pick-up and van drivers for questioning as they continue their investigation into the exact cause of the accident.

Maybe they should wait until the motorcycle guy who cut in two close to the pick-up can attend.

• Like 1

Interesting on how many pickups are involved with road accidents, injury and deaths

Would like to see some stats on this.

Most, and I do mean most pickups I see, are just maniac speedsters with crazy dangerous driving habits.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Initial investigations revealed that the motorcycle had abruptly cut in front of the pick-up truck, forcing the driver of the truck to swerve. The pick-up then lost control, colliding with the rear of the school van. The impact caused the van to veer off the road, cross the median, and crash into a tree. Police have called in both the pick-up and van drivers for questioning as they continue their investigation into the exact cause of the accident.

And so it continues.... 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, HuaHinNew said:

Interesting on how many pickups are involved with road accidents, injury and deaths

Would like to see some stats on this.

Most, and I do mean most pickups I see, are just maniac speedsters with crazy dangerous driving habits.

No disagreement there....  And then when a motorcyclist pulls out without looking, they swerve and the vehicle is so unstable it becomes uncontrollable and spins out.

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Cut in front? Is that the new brake failure?

Its a nothing new at all....     A daily occurrence on the roads in Thailand when driving a car:

1) Having to brake hard because a motorcyclist pulls out without looking.

2) Having to brake hard because when turning left a motorcyclist under-cuts you.

3) Having to brake hard or swerve on a narrow two way soi, because the motorcyclist is overtaking traffic coming towards you and if you don't move out of their way you may well 'clip them' and that just ends up in a whole lot of inconvenience even when not your fault. 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Its a nothing new at all....     A daily occurrence on the roads in Thailand when driving a car:

1) Having to brake hard because a motorcyclist pulls out without looking.

2) Having to brake hard because when turning left a motorcyclist under-cuts you.

3) Having to brake hard or swerve on a narrow two way soi, because the motorcyclist is overtaking traffic coming towards you and if you don't move out of their way you may well 'clip them' and that just ends up in a whole lot of inconvenience even when not your fault. 

I meant as an excuse. In any case the art of good driving lies in anticipation. See it coming (and you usually can) and you can adjust direction, speed whatever. It's called defensive driving. Also, constantly check 50-100m up the road, check mirrors all the time, check your indicators aren't on when you're not manoeuvring. Look for hazards, roadworks, road furniture, stationary unlit vehicles at night.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed....    When I'm in the passenger seat and say to my wife... "watch out that car is about to change lanes"...  she seems to think I'm making it up, how can I possibly know what someone else in another car is about to do...  but it can be observed from their positioning, their hesitation etc, the way they 'weave a little etc'...

... So my instead of driving consistently and predictably...  my Wife will speed up, then slow down and leave a space, then seem to speed up again into the blind-spot oblivious to the other car about to change lanes, then when the other car tries to change lanes, both hesitate, slow for a second, then speed up at the same time.. almost causing an accident out of nothing. 

It seems a lot of drivers (not just Thailand) seem unable to 'read' the predictability of other vehicles just by their road positioning and driving style, meanwhile themselves travelling in an unpredictable manner making it harder for others to read their own intentions. 

Excellent summary. I'd just add, that many inexperienced or just plain bad drivers use their brakes constantly. They haven't realised they're moving relative to other traffic and 9 times out of 10, don't need to jam on the brakes, the engine will slow them sufficiently. And it's often a dead giveaway for the guy on front is on the phone, so he's looking up and looking down, moving around the road and braking unpredictably. Stay well away from these people.

• Agree 1