Foreign Rider Killed in Early Morning Motorcycle Crash in Jomtien

Georgealbert

9 hours ago, dddave said:

My apartment overlooks Jomtien 2nd Rd and even between 3am and 5am, there is considerable traffic in both directions.

Plus it looks like it was opposite Workstation where I think there are several late night gaffs. That's a win in the photo. Maybe nearby win station. Maybe Russians. I used to run down there almost every night about that time. Cabin fever drove me out of my apartment. Tragic.

17 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Me too......................what evidence brought you to that conclusion.

Russians are the main coeds in Jomtien. Other foreign males rarely bring females here for good reason 

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ignore him...  people who make such idiotic sweeping statements are just looking to point-score but do so handicapped by their lack of intelligence... 

Of course, riding a motorcycle in Thailand presents elevated risk when compared to driving a car...  But so does crossing a road - everything has to be taken into perspective with risk profile... 

... and when we eradicate the drunks, the racers, the kids, riding in the rain, riding recklessly, riding without gear, riding without a helmet etc we are left with a risk profile that is far more representative of the risk to us as an individual.... and that is quite different from the 'risk' implied by the statistics and fools who interpret those stats as a generalisation to anyone who sits on motorcycle. 

If the above explanation is too complex for some - I'll simplify it below:

Because I don't ride drunk, don't race, don't jump red lights, don't ride at night, do wear gear and a helmet etc...  my risk profile is a lot lower than a kid on a pocket-rocket screaming down the road on pencil thin tyres in the dark at 90 kmh... 

Well in my opinion, just look at the statistics - every year, Thailand ranks among the highest with highway/road kills around 24K or so - about 80% of those dying on the roads are motorcyclists.   I realize most at probably Thai drivers but the cars are Thai drivers too and they crash with motorcycles daily and which is safer that car or the motorcycle.

23 hours ago, Denim said:

A very good case could be made for banning rentals of any machine capable of speeds over 45kph and demanding a valid MC licence from home country. Renters should also have to pay insurance premiums on all their machines that would cover any hospital bills upto half a million baht.

\

Of course .....never going to happen.

Already on the books, must have to rent MC.

All a bit irrelevant if you don't drive responsibly.  Speed limit & helmets save lives.

The uncommon common sense

And speed limiter on vehicles ... don't be silly, never going happen, and it should never happen.  Imagine needing to rush someone to the hospital, and your max speed is 45 kph :w00t:

Us heart attack / stroke prone old farts ... that could be the final nail in the coffin for a few :coffee1:

Hopefully the lass make a swift recovery.  Guess we'll be seeing a 'go fund me' soon.  If they had health insurance, would it cover driving a MB, if so, reckless, no helmet, possible alcohol, if any of those were applicable to reject.

They probably just woke up early, and wanted to catch a nice sunrise from a hilltop somewhere.

R I P

Edited by KhunLA