Baht going down!

Not sure about other currencies, but this article suggest that the USD strength as of late appears to be the strong US jobs report last week.  I've noticed the USD doing quite well against the THB these past few days.  We were on the verge of going under 32, but now back over 33.

[The dollar's gains followed a U.S. jobs report that showed the biggest jump in jobs in six months in September, a drop in the unemployment rate and solid wage rises, all pointing to a resilient economy and forcing markets to reduce pricing for Federal Reserve rate cuts.]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/finance/news/dollar-roll-us-jobs-data-003629660.html

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Now if you get a heart attack, your hospital bill will only be 22,779 British pounds instead of 22,988 British pounds.

I'm gonna need that soon, because I cut my losses last Monday, and exchanged the 100K USD sitting in my FCD for years, at 32.11 to the baht.

Now every time I open the XE page I get a sting in my chest

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The Baht will rise dramatical in November, then crash soon after as November is when I must Transfer my funds for my extension. ................:coffee1:

Just do it before the 3rd ... THANKS

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

If you want to know what's happening with the Baht against USD, you need to watch the US Dollar Index which reflects USD strength, when it moves, the exchange rate agai9nst USD moves also.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy

Screenshot(145).png.6fab7388c295d34f274bd624b6a61a0e.png

Exactly right.

The US Dollar (USD) Index (DXY) climbed into a fifth consecutive bullish day on Friday, driven higher by better-than-expected US Nonfarm Payrolls figures. 

Since hitting its lowest point in September, the index has been making higher lows, showing a change in market sentiment in favor of the dollar. If this continues, the DXY could aim for the 103.50-104.00 range, where the 200-day EMA is a major hurdle.

https://www.fxstreet.com/news/us-dollar-marks-in-fifth-straight-gain-day-after-nfp-numbers-surge-202410042003

This is allround excellent news as the odds of the Baht going down are therefore higher than average.

• Love It 1

12 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

If you want to know what's happening with the Baht against USD, you need to watch the US Dollar Index which reflects USD strength, when it moves, the exchange rate agai9nst USD moves also.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy

Screenshot(145).png.6fab7388c295d34f274bd624b6a61a0e.png

So, like the THB, the USD doesn't fluctuate much at all, about 10-15% either way of the median.  For decades, well except for '97'.

The drama ... :coffee1:

Fairly constant, between 30-35 / $1

L ... 25 + 20% = 30 

H ... 46 - 20% = 35

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

This thread is a stark contrast to other negative threads, so let us celebrate.

Every little bit helps and Thai government intervening to help struggling expats is a welcome event. 

Now if you get a heart attack, your hospital bill will only be 22,779 British pounds instead of 22,988 British pounds.

The intervention has nothing to do with expats and helping us. Its for international business and exports. 

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So, like the THB, the USD doesn't fluctuate much at all, about 10-15% either way of the median.  For decades, well except for '97'.

If you're referring to USD DI chart I posted, that's a single day. If you expand it to say 5 years, you'll see that the DI fluctuates massively, even in short timescales

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Fairly constant, between 30-35 / $1

L ... 25 + 20% = 30 

H ... 46 - 20% = 35

A 20% swing in a currency pair is massive.

48 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The Baht will rise dramatical in November, then crash soon after as November is when I must Transfer my funds for my extension. ................:coffee1:

Did my monthly at 6am this morning, arriving 14.05 this afternoon. I lost Bht 200 !

Edited by KannikaP

10 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

A 20% swing in a currency pair is massive.

That's rare though, and it doesn't happen suddenly, or last long.  Last 15 yrs, its been steady, 30 - 35  /$1,with few short excepts, and for the good, when lasting a bit longer than usual.

image.png.cf37808baf40dbe475fbbb3ecd99020f.png

There's no drama here, and only for those barely making the financials for extensions. 

Simply switch the the lump sum method instead of monthly deposits.  If you can't do that, then you probably shouldn't be here to begin with.

Better planning ... better retirement

Edited by KhunLA

38 minutes ago, Dan O said:

The intervention has nothing to do with expats and helping us. Its for international business and exports. 

"Thai government intervening to help struggling expats is a welcome event"

I guess that comment was with tongue in cheek!

19 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Did my monthly at 6am this morning, arriving 14.05 this afternoon. I lost Bht 200 !

I do mine once a year. not monthly it will be 8,000 GBP, so I will lose a lot compared to last year, how much have you 'lost' in one year ?

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

And that will help me how ? I have still have no idea what you are talking about, Soc Sec DD ??? 

Nothing helping you, but if you're getting a better rate, then I'll get a better rate.  If THB weaker against the GBP, hope the same w/USD.

Me Me Me

• Haha 1