Surprised no reaction from BYD owners on this forum

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

EV's have an 8 year battery warranty....    So, drive one for 5 or 6 years then sell it under warranty.

Doubt a BYD will be worth much with two years left on the warranty. Might make sense to pick up one cheap, and drive it until it dies.

Edited by wimpy
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jippytum said:

BYD have reduced the price of cars in some cases by 300,000 baht. and a recall of 100,000cars in China is of concern to current owners.. 

However most owners are happy with their cars. 

Personally i would not buy an EV unless i could recharge at my home location. 

On a plus note for BYD Warren Buffet bought 10% of the company three years ago. 

Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway drops BYD stake to less than 5%

Even for Warren Buffett, BYD can be called a long-term holding. Berkshire Hathaway first bought a stake in BYD in 2008. Berkshire began selling shares in August 2022, cutting just over half its holding over the next two years. As of July 2024, Buffett owned less than 5% of BYD's Hong Kong H-shares, below the threshold where it has to disclose further sales.

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe, maybe they will last many years. But who wants to bet on that?

Who wants to buy a vehicle where the battery is maybe good for another 5 or 10 years, but maybe it is gone in two years, and then a replacement would cost more than the price of the second-hand car now.

With normal cars, people have decades of experience how they will last and about retail values. With EVs, no experience, big risk. 

Most car manufacturers offer a much longer warranty on the battery than they do on the rest of the vehicle. (That said, I wouldn't buy an EV myself!)

24 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Most car manufacturers offer a much longer warranty on the battery than they do on the rest of the vehicle. (That said, I wouldn't buy an EV myself!)

How much longer? Like 10 or 15 years?

If I would buy a BEV when it's 5 years old and still has 10 years warranty on the battery, then I wouldn't worry.

But if it had i.e. only 7 years warranty and I want to sell the car in maybe 3 years, what then? Who will buy a car which can suddenly have scrap value?