Are You A Sexpat Or Do You Ride The Backwards Morality Train?

38 minutes ago, 123Stodg said:

When I first came here everyone was either a drunk, a shagger, a spook, a teacher, a backpacker, a property agent, a fugitive, an arms dealer

Nothing has changed. 

Sadly, the fugitive numbers are increasing, lots of cowboys thinking they are gangsters. 

All these people judging others from their glass houses

Yes, we've got a few here. 

now you got lots of desperados on AN that are tarring others with a dirty brush when they in fact might be doing even worse things themselves. Or maybe they are hoping to, but can't because they made

Yep, had those with the dirty brush attack me in the past. 

Give it all up already FFS.

We can only hope and prey 🙏

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

I lived from 1998-2018 in Thailand, and for probably the first 10 years I would say I was a sexpat. Certainly for the last 5 years of living there I didn't really bother with intimate relationships at all. This has carried on in the 6 years that I've now been back in the UK, I haven't even chatted anyone up!🙂  (60 in January, sex-drive almost totally diminished).

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

What about falang men who marry ordinary Thai women who have ordinary jobs? (Aren't & never were bargirls).

I still regard them as sexpats. 
they are having sex with the local women. Mia farangs

the vast majority of us are. Whether they are bargirls or not.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

What about falang men who marry ordinary Thai women who have ordinary jobs? (Aren't & never were bargirls).

Definition of sexpat = foreigner resident having sex with a local.

Occupation (past or present) of local irrelevant to definition.

Number (or sex) of locals foreigner has sex with irrelevant to definition.

So a tourist visiting Pattaya, would be a sex tourist, and not a sexpat.

While a foreign resident married to a local schoolteacher would be a sexpat.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, 123Stodg said:

How many judgmental posts have I read here on AN where one poster accuses another of being a sexpat, a monger, trying to get a leg over, etc. 

Really? All these people judging others from their glass houses. So petty. Who cares what other people do and what they come to Thailand for? You do you and forget the rest. 

When I first came here everyone was either a drunk, a shagger, a spook, a teacher, a backpacker, a property agent, a fugitive, an arms dealer, a movie producer or all of the above wrapped into one. Nobody cared what anyone else did. If you called someone in Bangkok a sexpat back in the eighties then they probably would have been flattered. It wasn't even a word!

Then the place started to gentrify around Y2K, the morality police showed up in the form of Westerners that saw it fitting to start calling other foreigners names and attaching labels. Back then nobody even pretended to be in Thailand for the temples, the markets, the elephants, the culture, etc. Couldn't be arsed, nor did anyone have anything to hide. 

So now you got lots of desperados on AN that are tarring others with a dirty brush when they in fact might be doing even worse things themselves. Or maybe they are hoping to, but can't because they made the mistake of getting married too quickly. A sack of armchair critics who get a kick out of trolling others to see if they can trigger someone by calling them a sex tourist whenever anyone admits to enjoying the night life in Thailand. 

Give it all up already FFS. Don't be one of those minging geezers who can's stop himself from judging others for what they choose to do with their own bodies in the hub of nightlife.

Well said.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I still regard them as sexpats. 
they are having sex with the local women. Mia farangs

the vast majority of us are. Whether they are bargirls or not.

You have got to be kidding me. Glad you are one of a kind..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Grammar and spelling nazi's are disallowed, perhaps morality nazi's should be also.

Nazi...not nazi.....🤭 (and there's no need for a possessive apostrophe).

Edited for the poor soul who put a confused emoji......Nazi or Nazis should be capitalized.

Edited by metisdead
Do not post text with all capital letters or with over-sized fonts, all bold font, non-standard fonts, colored fonts or unusually large emojis.
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I fail to see why people (men) get so stressed about this sexpat thing.......the only difference between men here and, say, London, Paris, Rome......is that the men here have made the effort to travel and 'get some'.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

While we're at it .........

The numbers of posters slamming pensioners who live in Pattaya, small rooms and spending all their time in bars ...... why? Seems like a decent retirement to me!

It reeks of frustration on their part usually.....too parochial to get out and live life to the full......YOLO

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Definition of sexpat = foreigner resident having sex with a local.

Occupation (past or present) of local irrelevant to definition.

Number (or sex) of locals foreigner has sex with irrelevant to definition.

So a tourist visiting Pattaya, would be a sex tourist, and not a sexpat.

While a foreign resident married to a local schoolteacher would be a sexpat.

Rubbish....just people who scraped the barrel trying to drag everyone else down with them.

Sexpat > prostitutes.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Your whole rant is a humungous pile of 💩 😊

Filthy sex tourists flocking together and imagining they are the majority and the norm.

No one I knew back then came for the prostitutes. The people who did were a different breed with their own forums dedicated to discussing prostitution. They were in their own world and obviously believed that is how it was for everyone. The most frequently read chorus other than sex talk was with regard to "fat white women" and "dirty backpackers".  They seemed to have a pathological hatred of their own kind if they weren't sex tourists.

Many of those backpackers stayed and built businesses with local women and I don't mean prostitutes but normal people from the community. 

Filthy sex tourists have always been held in the lowest regard and they mix with the lowest of the low. That's the truth of the matter.

Sadly you've missed the point, we're talking about sexpats not sex tourists.

And your 'backpackers building a business with local women' are sexpats if they're banging the local woman.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

You can't be that naive surely...ordinary Thai woman (not bargirls) I worked here for many years with"ordinary" girls as you put it....and I can tell you 90% of them were on Thai friendly or going to falang bars...not so ordinary

Edited by baansgr
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

You can't be that naive surely...ordinary Thai woman (not bargirls) I worked.hwew for many years with"ordinary" girls as you put it....and I can tell you 90% of them were on Thai friendly or going to falang bars...not so ordinary

Wow, just wow

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Even if not a fully paid up 'bargirl' many are/have been sideliners or freelancers.......it goes with the territory over here.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I fail to see why people (men) get so stressed about this sexpat thing.......the only difference between men here and, say, London, Paris, Rome......is that the men here have made the effort to travel and 'get some'.

"If it's got tits or tyres it'll cost you money."

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, baansgr said:

You can't be that naive surely...ordinary Thai woman (not bargirls) I worked here for many years with"ordinary" girls as you put it....and I can tell you 90% of them were on Thai friendly or going to falang bars...not so ordinary

Birds of a feather....

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Judging the judgmental ... nuff said

Indeed...  I read his post and then figured, he must be sick of getting accused of being a monger !!!

I get his point though - a lot of guys on here make the assumption that everyone else is a sexpat monger when is clearly obvious from many posts (i.e. many of yours)... who are just normal folks with healthy attitudes towards life in Thailand....

There are also people who speak terribly of Thai women and have very little idea and make huge assumptions that all women are 'buyable' which is wholly offensive to many of us who are married to 'regular' (non industry females etc).

So... we're not trying to be cleaner than the 'mongers'....  we just don't want to be associated with the folk making lecherous assumptions such as 90% of Thai girls are on Thai Friendly etc or, it goes with the territory etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

"If it's got tits or tyres it'll cost you money."

I think the saying is "If it £ucks, floats or flies, rent it" !!!....    quite an amusing comment that I don't read anything into, other than the humour. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1