Those were the days; ice and snow.

owl sees all

Is the climate changing? Remember 1963? The first snow fell overnight in London and hung about for over 2 months. I can remember doing my week end paper-round. Took me about 4 hours to deliver 60 papers. And the worst winter for 200 (so we were told) smashed the footy fixtures to bits. There were bad winters before, and since, but that season was the worst. Snow or ice; the game must go on if at all possible.

Baggies v Villa.

snow-WBAvVilla.png.b93dac215b889cd7294a81d060709331.png

Unknown match. Looks a bit like Spurs. Anyone?

snow-again.png.a3dd3d6934225ffef5121ba2c8592d7a.png

Can't let a drop of snow stop a Liverpool match.

snowpool.png.b6ebcc4eb8d5c3c75f9ad35bcb1216ff.png

Pitch inspection at White Hart Lane. Spurs v Peacocks.

ice-spursvLeeds.png.7b0c2e06ee2c20679a8c4e0d3014fd37.png

Perhaps the biggest advancement in English football since the formation of the EPL, is the improvement in pitches. A good head-groundsman nowadays is worth his weight in,,, well snow.

Very few professional games are now postponed because of the weather. Usually down to water-logging if they are. Can't recall the last one to be abandoned. Hold on there. Would that be at Old Trafford in 2016? Bomb in a suitcase scare. Last match of the season. Don't think that one got started though.

If it happens again this year, a lot of the poorest UK pensioners will suffer and probably die, rising energy costs and no winter fuel payments to help from the caring labour government