Sebastian Stan Defends Trump Film: 'He Should Be Grateful' for Its Complex Portrayal

Social Media

image.png

Sebastian Stan, the star of the new and controversial film *The Apprentice*, believes former President Donald Trump "should be grateful" for how the film portrays him. Stan, who plays Trump in the movie, expressed that the film offers a "complex, three-dimensional take" on Trump's early years as a New York real estate mogul. Trump, however, has expressed his displeasure with the film, calling it "fake and classless" and threatening legal action against its producers. He also voiced hope that the film would "bomb" at the box office.

Studio Canal Maria Bakalova and Sebastian Stan as Ivana and Donald Trump in The Apprentice - Bakalova is wearing a fur coat and black leather gloves, Stan has a red tie, white shirt and black overcoat. They are being interviewed by a reporter.

*The Apprentice*, which explores Trump’s life during the 1970s and 80s, specifically highlights his relationship with lawyer and mentor Roy Cohn, played by *Succession* star Jeremy Strong. Cohn, a controversial figure, taught Trump certain principles, including never admitting defeat. The film has not been without challenges, with director Ali Abbasi describing its production and release as "the most challenging thing I’ve ever done."

Studio Canal Sebastian Stan as Donald Trump in The Apprentice - he is on a white landline phone while sitting at a desk strewn with business papers. He is dressed in a navy suit and looks very serious.

The film had its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival, where it received a standing ovation. Abbasi recalled thinking that there would be a bidding war among distributors such as Warner Bros. and Netflix. However, the reality was far from his expectations. Abbasi revealed that securing a distributor was "extremely difficult" due to Trump's threats of legal action.

Despite these obstacles, the film was eventually released in the U.S. last week, though it has struggled at the box office.

The film's UK release is set for Friday, following its British premiere at the London Film Festival. Abbasi stressed the importance of releasing the film before the upcoming U.S. election on November 5, where Trump will face Kamala Harris. He remarked, "Intellectually and as an artist, it's much more exciting [to release it now]."

Jeremy Strong, who portrays Roy Cohn, suggested that while the film is not a political statement, it may influence some voters. "In some small way, I think it could move the needle on how people feel [about] or perceive him, but the film is not a political act, it's a story," Strong said.

The film has received mixed reviews, and there is speculation about its potential impact during awards season. Vanity Fair’s Richard Lawson noted that the outcome of the U.S. election could play a crucial role in whether the movie is considered for an Oscar nomination. "If Trump wins the election, I don't think [awards voters] will want to have anything to do with this movie," Lawson said, suggesting that a win for Kamala Harris might allow for a more favorable reception.

Stan’s portrayal of Trump is not a caricature or exaggerated, comedic take often seen in impressions of the former president. Instead, *The Apprentice* presents a more serious and nuanced study of Trump’s early years and his relationship with Cohn, which shaped his future. Stan reflected on the complexity of the characters, stating, "They [Trump and Cohn] are very complex individuals, and that's what it's like in life, no-one is morally completely on the right side or perfect in any way."

Stan concluded by asserting, "I think [Trump] should be grateful, to be honest. We have pretty much handed him, I think, a very complex, three-dimensional take on his life, and I can't recall anybody else doing that."

Based on a report from the BBC 2024-10-17

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png