Watch: Prince William and Jacinda Ardern Share Giggles at Damehood Ceremony

Social Media

image.png

Prince William and Jacinda Ardern, the former Prime Minister of New Zealand, shared a lighthearted and memorable moment during an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle. The two shared smiles and laughter as Prince William officially made Ardern a Dame Grand Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit. Ardern has been closely working with the prince as a trustee of his Earthshot Prize, which awards $1 million grants to projects that aim to protect and preserve the environment.

Ardern’s recognition came as part of a lengthy list of honors Prince William was conducting on the day, and their easy rapport was clear as he adorned her with a red sash and the badge of the prestigious order. The playful moment highlighted the genuine friendship that has developed between the pair over the years of their environmental collaboration.

On his official X (formerly Twitter) account, Prince William expressed his admiration for Ardern, writing, "A friend, an extraordinary advocate for the environment and now a Dame Grand Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit, for services to the State. @jacindaardern, it was a privilege to present you with this deserved award at Windsor today!" 

Ardern, visibly humbled, responded in a video posted alongside the prince’s message, saying, "It’s a huge honor. I feel really humbled by the chance to be here with my family, and really I see it as an acknowledgment of them and of every person I worked with and of everyone who supported me, and that includes a very large number of New Zealanders."

Reflecting on her work with Prince William, she recalled their discussions about the Earthshot Prize long before it became a reality. "I remember some years ago now, Prince William telling me about the idea of the Earthshot Prize, and then to see what he’s created. It’s not just a prize for me, it’s the movement that I think is so important about telling every single person out there that we don’t have to wait for this catastrophe to happen to us. That there are things we can do and that are being done."

Ardern’s involvement with the Earthshot Prize was publicly announced in April 2023 when Prince William shared how instrumental she had been in the prize’s early days. "Four years ago, before The Earthshot Prize even had a name, Jacinda was one of the first people I spoke to, and her encouragement and advice was crucial to the Prize’s early success," he said at the time.

The ceremony marked not only a formal recognition of Ardern’s years of service to New Zealand and her continued advocacy for environmental causes but also a poignant moment of friendship and shared purpose between two global leaders working towards a better future for the planet.

Based on a report from Newsweek 2024-10-18

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

54 minutes ago, Social Media said:

The ceremony marked not only a formal recognition of Ardern’s years of service to New Zealand

IMO her years of destroying NZ society.

Her legacy of disruption and overlooking gang criminality continue to blight NZ.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO her years of destroying NZ society.

Her legacy of disruption and overlooking gang criminality continue to blight NZ.

My god man it’s time to man the bunker!!lol heck to me it looks like perhaps they shared a joint lol I know that’s not true but to me when two leaders can get together and enjoy each other’s company that’s a positive thing.

• Like 1