Trump Roasts Harris and Other Prominent Figures at Al Smith Charity Dinner

Social Media

image.png

Donald Trump took aim at Vice President Kamala Harris during his speech at the Al Smith charity dinner in New York City. Trump, who spoke for about 30 minutes, mocked Harris for her absence and criticized her intelligence, while also taking jabs at other political figures in attendance.

"My opponent feels like she does not have to be here, which is deeply disrespectful to the event, and in particular to our great Catholic community. Very disrespectful," Trump said, prompting applause from the crowd. Harris, meanwhile, was campaigning in Wisconsin, a battleground state, rather than attending the dinner in person.

In one of his sharpest remarks, Trump quipped, "If you really wanted Vice President Harris to accept your invitation, I guess you should have told her the funds were going to bail out the looters and rioters in Minneapolis, and she would have been here." This comment referenced Harris' previous support for demonstrators who were arrested during protests following George Floyd’s killing in 2020.

Full Speech:

As he often does during his rallies, Trump took the opportunity to mock Harris for her distinctive laugh and question her intelligence. "The fact is, we need new leadership in this country. Right now we have someone in the White House who can barely talk, barely put together two coherent sentences, who seems to have the mental faculties of a child. There’s a person that has nothing going. No intelligence whatsoever. But enough about Kamala Harris," he said, drawing laughter from some in the audience.

Trump also poked fun at a grassroots group called "White Dudes for Harris." "There’s a group called White Dudes for Harris. But I’m not worried about them. Their wives and their wives’ lovers are all voting for me," he quipped.

The former president’s performance received a mixed reaction from the crowd, which included both Democrats and Republicans. While some jokes landed, others were met with awkward silence. For instance, Trump made a reference to an alleged affair involving second gentleman Doug Emhoff, and another joke invoked former President Obama by his full name, "Barack Hussein Obama."

Harris, although not physically present, addressed the event through a video featuring comedian Molly Shannon portraying her iconic “Saturday Night Live” character, Mary Katherine Gallagher, a Catholic schoolgirl. In the video, Harris took the opportunity to chide Trump for his ongoing election denialism and for his past attacks on the city of Detroit.

Beyond Harris, Trump also roasted several other prominent figures. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) sat next to the podium throughout Trump’s remarks, mostly keeping a stern face, though he occasionally smiled at the former president's jokes. Trump recounted writing a check to Schumer during an earlier campaign but added, "Considering how woke your party has become, if Kamala loses, you still have the chance to become the first woman president."

Trump also expressed sympathy for New York City Mayor Eric Adams, who is currently facing federal corruption charges. "Good luck with everything. They went after you, mayor. I think you're going to win," Trump said, offering support.

However, his tone was far less charitable toward former New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio. "I’m surprised that Bill de Blasio is actually able to make it tonight to be honest. He was a terrible mayor. I don’t give a s*** if this is comedy or not. He was a terrible mayor. He did a horrible job," Trump remarked bluntly, adding, "That’s not comedy, by the way. That’s fact."

The evening, hosted by New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan, marked the 79th annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner, an event where presidential candidates traditionally deliver light-hearted remarks. However, as in previous appearances, Trump injected a sharp edge to his humor, much like he did in 2016 when he went after Hillary Clinton during the same event.

Based on a report from the Hill 2024-10-19

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

Watching Chuck squirm and the looks on his face all night was priceless. Kamala couldn't attended because nobody was allowed a teleprompter. Seeing Trump and Melania and a hole where Kamala and what's his name should have been was weird. Donald has effectively been the president lately. 

• Like 1