Lost control over my computer.

swissie

Appearantly, I have lost control over my laptop.

On websites, I want to apply my own settings. By the next startup, standart settings are back in place. My settings were simply ignored.

Has this something to do with the the latest Microsoft update? Or is my VPN or Ad Blocker the culprit?

Also: Writing an e-mail via Hotmail is ridiculus, always some "text recommendations" and other unwanted "recommendations" pop up while trying to type. On SKYPE I receive "required translations" although I never ever required any translations.

I can't believe that I am the only one affected by such things. What's going on?

At any rate, I feel that I have lost control over my computer.

Ad Blocker could be a problem. I had one that restricted links, for example I searched for a product and then could not open the link to the company selling it. Even after trying to whitelist that site. I deleted it and switched to a different one (adblock plus). No problem anymore till now. Another one is the browser extension from malware byte witch my give some unwanted problems. Deleted that one as well.

29 minutes ago, swissie said:

Appearantly, I have lost control over my laptop.

On websites, I want to apply my own settings. By the next startup, standart settings are back in place. My settings were simply ignored.

Has this something to do with the the latest Microsoft update? Or is my VPN or Ad Blocker the culprit?

Also: Writing an e-mail via Hotmail is ridiculus, always some "text recommendations" and other unwanted "recommendations" pop up while trying to type. On SKYPE I receive "required translations" although I never ever required any translations.

I can't believe that I am the only one affected by such things. What's going on?

At any rate, I feel that I have lost control over my computer.

Are you signed in as administrator? If not then you can try this:

Go to Settings > Accounts > Family & other users. Under the "Other users" section, click on the account you want to change. Click on "Change account type". You can set the account type to Standard (basic rights) or Administrator (full control).
Are you using win 11? The problem with w11 is that it’s quite a wrestling match to take full control over the os, you have to start the process while installing the os, then sifting through the background settings and stopping unnecessary updates that change your settings, even after that it can be an annoying game of whack a mole. 

22 minutes ago, novacova said:

Are you signed in as administrator? If not then you can try this:

Go to Settings > Accounts > Family & other users. Under the "Other users" section, click on the account you want to change. Click on "Change account type". You can set the account type to Standard (basic rights) or Administrator (full control).
Are you using win 11? The problem with w11 is that it’s quite a wrestling match to take full control over the os, you have to start the process while installing the os, then sifting through the background settings and stopping unnecessary updates that change your settings, even after that it can be an annoying game of whack a mole. 

Thanks. I use windows 11. I am a user. I always thought that the only "administrators" sit in Silicone Valley or Coppertino.

Honestly, to high for me. Scary, what one must do to re-establish control over ones computer.

Appearantly, no big deal for Internet users. No outrage! "Eat what Bill Gates serves you for dinner" and be happy that Bill allowes you to be part of his universe.