Foreigner Wrecks Chiang Mai Stall After Smoking Ban Warning

webfact

58 minutes ago, Lokie said:

As for newcomer?  I see you are having a Pi $$ing competition on who has lived here longest - now that is laughable...  Your a funny Guy & Thai Expert pmsl

Was that your answer, Sir?

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That argument is a clutch at straws - cooking is with an open flame....    Smoking poses no 'fire' risk in this situation whatsoever, attempting to use the 'smoking' argument from a safety aspect deflects from the real issue here... 

1) Pillock Smoking and getting angry when told he can't.

2) Inflammatory over reaction from the two Thai women escalating the situation.

Why maybe a little bit extreme when it comes to this issue, but I don't think smoking should be allowed within 10 meters of food, it is truly one of the most disgusting habits a human can engage in, and second hand smoke is just beyond obnoxious. 

• Agree 1

The selfishness with a lot of smokers makes me not surprised about this story.  Add that to self entitlement attitude attributed to being spoilt in their first world cultures.  

"I'll just light up and screw the rest of you.  I don't care if it is banned here. I don't care if people around me are offended with the foul smell.  It's all about me". 

• Agree 1

On 10/25/2024 at 1:31 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure a sign hung on a market stall is considered a legal notice.

There are certainly no signs on street poles in that area about no smoking.

I mean, I could hire a place in the market (40bht/day) and hang up a sign saying smoking compulsory, and you could all refuse to smoke with no fear of retribution. 

What we would need to check the legality of the sign would be a Thai government official, but it seems they're not interested in such a minor dispute.

Asking for him to be deported would indicate, to me, some sort of mental illness on the part of the poster asking for such a punishment. Especially if that poster was a anti-Brit Australian Goat in a previous incarnation.

It is. It's both the law and the right of a business to decide that smoking is banned on their premises.

It's a market area.

You making up your own alternative facts because you somehow believe this uncouth behavior is acceptable leads me to question your sanity.

This guy acted like a real jerk. He's the type of tourist who should be deported and blacklisted, because he's a rude, low quality tourist that brings zero value to Thailand.

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why maybe a little bit extreme when it comes to this issue, but I don't think smoking should be allowed within 10 meters of food, it is truly one of the most disgusting habits a human can engage in, and second hand smoke is just beyond obnoxious. 

I agree with you....    I think smoking in public unless in a specified / designated smoking area should be banned out right. 

But, I also sympathised a little with smokers, if they want to smoke, there should be area's where they can smoke....  it can't just be 'banned everywhere'... 

But...  I would also state that throwing buckets of water at people (Songkran excluded) is also obnoxious behavior.

18 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, you have a point. However, when there is a sign, and you still lit up a cigarette that stupid. Ok, let´s say he didn´t notice the sign. Still very stupid to lit up a cigarette among people in the middle of a marketplace where they also are making, cooking and selling food. I was once a smoker. Quit about 7 years ago. All the time since I stared smoke at the age of 16, I have always shown respect for people around me, and never been smoking in crowds of unknown people or walking outside on the streets. Never thrown a butt in a place not designated for it or some times in a waste bin. If I would have been doing like this guy, then I would have seen myself wrong disregarding if people told me nice, hard, arrogant or aggressive. There simply is not any excuse for this mans behavior.

100% agree.

18 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

They totally had the right to tell him to stop in any way the saw fit.

No.. asking him, sure, of course they had every right.

Throwing water over him, no right.

IF the two women told the Brit aggressively and impolitely  (as I am assuming they did) then they escalated a situation that may not have otherwise occurred.

That said, its possible the story is perfectly correct and they asked politely and the guy is just an outrageous tool.