Are retirees moving to the new DTV visa - anybody done it?

Scouse123

I have been reading today on Asean Now about the new DTV visas, as up to now with having a long term O visa followed by extension of stays, I have not paid much attention.

It does seem , once you are in possession of one, to be a much better visa deal than those we are on with extensions of stay.

There is no Re entry permit,  it is for five years and the money in the bank option seems to be 500K, 300K better than my extension of stay, not that I ever use the 800K,nor would I use the 500K it stays there permanently 

With five years, I would not be at immigration every year begging extensions of stay, and the costs for such a DTV visa are negligible.(10,000 baht)

Now, I would hardly be applying at 62 for a Muay Thai visa, but surely a soft power visa based on cooking classes and skills could be acceptable, couldn't it?

Are there such places to enrol for cooking classes in Isaarn?

The only downside I see, is applying in country of origin, unless it can be done and applied for over here in Asia?

To retirees, is there something I am not seeing here in this package?  What are the downsides?

Have any retirees moved or are considering this option in the near future?