Adsl And Linux In Thailand?

nemo38

Have any of you managed to get ADSL broadband working from your linux boxes? Can you share the details of working distributions and any s/w you had to use?

True ADSL works perfectly on my old laptop with Ubuntu 7. No configuration needed, I just plugged it in and it worked.

Thanks for the good news!

Linux works great with most ADSL hardware, surely USB modems are not the easiest to get working. ADSL routers or ADSL Ethernet based modem work perfect. Some even belief they work even better then they do with MS Windows, but that can be a myth.

So please specify what sort of ADSL hardware you have and probably you get a better answer it it works....

Yes most (if not all) 3th party ADSL routers with Ethernet port work perfectly with Linux, hardware bought direct from True Corporation doesn't always work as the manufacturer specify.

This because True Corp. changes the firmware and locks it behind a password, leaving the customers with an good piece of ADSL hardware but crippled to work as nothing more then a PPPoE dail-up device. Of course there are countless PPPoE dail-up software packages available for Linux

Edited by Richard-BKK

• 2 weeks later...

True, if your computer can talk to the network it is for most operating systems the same thing. Some people say that Unix like systems can handle the TCP/IP requests more efficient then MS Windows based systems.

Little history TCP/IP is invented by Dr. Robert Kahn and Dr. Vinton Cerf around 1972 they where working at the time for Stanford Research Institute, UCLA lab on a project called ARPANET. Vinton Cerf currently works at Google, and gossip tells that Google maybe wants to go head to head with Microsoft over TCP/IP

ARPANET is what we can say the mother of the Internet we know today, technology developed for the Internet was based on a early version of the open-source philosophy. In which it clearly says it is free to use by anybody as long that the source of the communication module is freely available.

Microsoft developed in the early days of networking it own network protocol (NetBEUI), which needless to say did not made it into any form of standard. Novell that time controlled the network market and Microsoft was just suppling the operating systems for the slowest workstations.

With the increasing popularity of multi platform compatibility Microsoft did developed a TCP/IP communication module which made it possible to talk TCP/IP, but it of course did not wanted to make the source available so the module was more “compatible” then that it was native TCP/IP.

Personal I never discovered any speed differences between Microsoft based operating systems and others. My early Sun Sparc server was the fastest Ethernet computer I had, but then this speed advantage was hardware based.

Early Sun Sparc Systems had integrated Ethernet controllers which communicated much more direct to the processor, as my early IBM AT-2 systems had 8 bits Ethernet controllers in a ISA slot

Have any of you managed to get ADSL broadband working from your linux boxes? Can you share the details of working distributions and any s/w you had to use?

True ADSL works perfectly on my old laptop with Ubuntu 7. No configuration needed, I just plugged it in and it worked.

Same with PClinux2007 on True and TOT - just plug it in and off you go.

Personal I never discovered any speed differences between Microsoft based operating systems and others. My early Sun Sparc server was the fastest Ethernet computer I had, but then this speed advantage was hardware based.

Early Sun Sparc Systems had integrated Ethernet controllers which communicated much more direct to the processor, as my early IBM AT-2 systems had 8 bits Ethernet controllers in a ISA slot

Win MS XP Pro - they inhibit 20% of the LAN/WAN bandwidth in their QOS drivers out of the box

Win MS Vista - read the PC side of this message board, huge issues

Do you notice the difference? Yes in some cases you really do notice the difference.

Ah the old sparc BSD days, still have a few Sparc 2's, 10's and 20's here and an old 1 clone with a dead PS. I must say the change over to SunOS in 1989 was a pain, but what we live with today.

Win MS XP Pro - they inhibit 20% of the LAN/WAN bandwidth in their QOS drivers out of the box

Win MS Vista - read the PC side of this message board, huge issues

Do you notice the difference? Yes in some cases you really do notice the difference.

Ah the old sparc BSD days, still have a few Sparc 2's, 10's and 20's here and an old 1 clone with a dead PS. I must say the change over to SunOS in 1989 was a pain, but what we live with today.

I use two OS's now, I switch drives and come up in ether PClinuxOS 2007 or into winXP home. Speed test with my IPstar between the two is purfactly the same both run 256/128 like they should. I even put Opera 9.23 on both and the surfing mode is no diff at all. works fine and both connect DHCP. I do have the DNS set manual but the same in both sys. :o

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I tried PCLinux live CD and it couldn't connect to True ADSL.

I tried to set a connection using their wizard and went for PPPoE with login and password, then opened "monitor" window - no luck. Connection appears to be live for a second or two, then drops.

Also, while I'm at it - how to set a notebook to use an external LCD as a monitor. When it's plugged in into VGA port, the Control Center doesn't see it. In windows I have Intel's own display manager, should I go on the Internet and get Intel drivers for Linux? It scares the shit out of me 'cos none of the installations I tried so far ever worked (that was for Ubuntu, though).

Also what kind of installation files do I need for PCLinux? It's not listed on Opera download page, for example should Mandrake version work? Should I download .rpm version? My skills at manually extracting those darn tarballs are rudimentary, any installation error puts me off for good.

Yesterday I tried PCLinux live CD and it couldn't connect to True ADSL.

I tried to set a connection using their wizard and went for PPPoE with login and password, then opened "monitor" window - no luck. Connection appears to be live for a second or two, then drops.

Also, while I'm at it - how to set a notebook to use an external LCD as a monitor. When it's plugged in into VGA port, the Control Center doesn't see it. In windows I have Intel's own display manager, should I go on the Internet and get Intel drivers for Linux? It scares the shit out of me 'cos none of the installations I tried so far ever worked (that was for Ubuntu, though).

Also what kind of installation files do I need for PCLinux? It's not listed on Opera download page, for example should Mandrake version work? Should I download .rpm version? My skills at manually extracting those darn tarballs are rudimentary, any installation error puts me off for good.

My last post is two years old. Are you installing 2009.1?   Don't use web site software use the repo's and synaptic (Opera is in it) not good to install outside repo's as repo content has been tested for PClinux, and synaptic does everything for you..  I don't us adsl we don't even have phonelines here even after 12 years waiting.  but someone on the forum PClinuxOS.com would know.

as for my last post.  ToT has not worked right in over 18 months.  Really! and they don't give a damm 

Ok,

I hope someone who has True ADSL working on Linux will visit here soon. There shouldn't be any big differences how ADSL is applied across linux distros. I don't mind manually tweaking the settings if that's what is needed.

I somehow missed Opera in repositories yesterday. Will check again.

Any advice on video out settings? How does that work in Linux?

What kind of ADSL equipment are you using? People get confused and think they should use "PPPoE" settings in their OS when they are actually using a router that already handles the PPPoE part. In most of these cases, you should just use the DHCP LAN configuration in the OS, and the router will act as the Internet gateway for your LAN (and perform network-address translation to share the Internet connection to multiple PCs). You only use PPPoE on the OS when using an old-fashioned modem that just bridges the ADSL traffic onto an ethernet segment.

I used my D-Link DSL-G604T router with True several years ago without issues (now using same device with TOT). It contains the PPPoE account settings in its router configuration settings, and my Linux PCs simply use DHCP. No issues whatsoever. In fact, I am also running OpenWRT Linux on the router itself, but I don't think you care about that. :o

No, I don't have a router, there's only True issued free ADSL modem.

Under Windows it connects with PPPoE. The XP works as a gateway for other computers on the network (the second network card, connected to a hub, not router), DHCP for network is done by Windows, too.

I briefly saw similar options on Linux, something about sharing a connection, I hope it works out ok in the end.

I didn't have time today to fiddle with Live CD on this computer, but got linux installed on another machine, it connects to the Internet via network without any problems. Got Opera from their "repo", and copied over all my personal settings from Windows partition. Now I got that brilliant Compiz on a machine that can't handle Vista at all. All the eye candy I will ever want.

Any idea on setting mutliple displays? I understand Intel video chipset drivers must be included in installation package, but I can't find a place where I can check all the settings. Linux itself doesn't see anything connected to VGA out slot.

Hi there, I use LINUX, as you can see all people recommend using router connection, which is very sensible, but the setup has been done by a WINDOWS computer! and if you want to start your ADSL from LINUX, it can be very frustrating and if you haven't got knowledge of NETWORKING and the acronyms etc can be a bit .......!

So here is an unorthodox and underhanded procedure! which works very well!

1.Connect the modem to your Computer(in any way, USB port, Network card, router etc)

2.Start the computer , and wait till everything is running etc.

3. Click on the browser, and get it going.

4.In the browser type the Modem Manufacturer's address, and that one is only made of numbers, the address is usually is in manual. Then follow up and click basic setup.

Here is an Example can try it, and get a hang of it, most of the rest of Maodem makers are pretty much similar.

We use NETGEAR modem(it is cheap and picked up for $10), type 192.168.1 into the browser , then for login type admin, and for pass word type just password, click basic setup , and you finished!

remeber you must know your IP name and pass word!

The manufacture's address usually is in the manual if it is not you can use the terminal window to get, but I have forgotten the commond, from the windows CMD is -ip config!

on XP in the run type CMD and enter you will get it!

If you have laptop with wireless car on it , which most current model do have them, just roll up to any Campus and you can get on the NET for free, favoured place is CHULA Library, there is huge Air Conditioner there , with seats , table etc in front of the entrance to library! Thamasat has similar thing, only no Air Con ! As well most Shopping Centres have them! These small Laptops are ideal for Linux operation, and some of them come with Linux!

If you are not working from the Net, and not there for the long haul , really there is no need to connect via the local provider as you have to get line phone connected or use the Sim Card from Mobile Phone etc, if you don't have permanent residency or something similar getting a line phone connection in your name be a hassle, the SIM card one is expensive, However if you have enough Skill, you can connect to Internet without going to any legitimate channel, as well obtaining free electricity supplies for your Air Con, as the Thai sytem is fair wobbly , but we shall speak of that a none!

Hi there, I use LINUX, as you can see all people recommend using router connection, which is very sensible, but the setup has been done by a WINDOWS computer! and if you want to start your ADSL from LINUX, it can be very frustrating and if you haven't got knowledge of NETWORKING and the acronyms etc can be a bit .......!

So here is an unorthodox and underhanded procedure! which works very well!

1.Connect the modem to your Computer(in any way, USB port, Network card, router etc)

2.Start the computer , and wait till everything is running etc.

3. Click on the browser, and get it going.

4.In the browser type the Modem Manufacturer's address, and that one is only made of numbers, the address is usually is in manual. Then follow up and click basic setup.

Here is an Example can try it, and get a hang of it, most of the rest of Maodem makers are pretty much similar.

We use NETGEAR modem(it is cheap and picked up for $10), type 192.168.1 into the browser , then for login type admin, and for pass word type just password, click basic setup , and you finished!

remeber you must know your IP name and pass word!

The manufacture's address usually is in the manual if it is not you can use the terminal window to get, but I have forgotten the commond, from the windows CMD is -ip config!

on XP in the run type CMD and enter you will get it!

I assume you mean login/password for the ISP (in my case True). Will try. Getting modem address shouldn't be a problem either.

Though I might try Ubuntu live cd first. On my notebook it got everything right - wireless and mutliple displays that refused to work under PClinux. Ubuntu might get adsl right, too.

There's just one little thing with Ubuntu - it doesn't want to install itlself alongside Windows. "Guided" partitioning wants to wipe out everything and to a clean install, and "manual" gives me a headache.

I mean, it gives me a choice of which partition to install it to, but the next screen instead of resizing options tells me "do not use this partition" as a default. Is it a threat or what? If I choose other options, like NTFS, it tells me there's no "root" there and I can fuc_k off.

Grrr, maybe I should try OpenSuze instead - I like PClinux KDE desktop better than Ubuntu's Gnome, I expect on OpenSuze it will be similiar.

I'm afraid to touch my Xp that does all the network in the house until I find a working linux distro. I got PClinux to work on one machine and it flies, but that's just a desktop connected to the network via ethernet.

Hi there, you have to first install windows on your computer and then LINUX, otherwise be a tricky act to Balance!

The Pass WORD that I mentioned are to get to the Modem setup(Admin and password), once you past that, it will ask you you user name that is registered with the ISP company, and then your pass word that is for the ISP,

as well, in your case is TRUE phone company!

OpenSuSe is well suite for laptops and INTERNET as it is now owned by NOVELL a Networking company itself, as well it can recognize all the USB devices and graphic cards, they have lot of cash and seems to be spending well! PCLinuxOS is not functioning that well, and does not have the capacity of OpenSuSe to catch up with latest hardware, it just cannot handle USB devices that have NTSF format, while SuSe can handle it very well! SuSe is just too good! the 64 bit is virtually flawless! so better go for it! to be honest I dislike it strict use of repository, and does not allow the use of hash in the Bittorent(Ktorrent) , otherwise it is great! Speaking personally, I think at moment it is the best package available especially the 11.1!

Edited by kujirasan

Sure I have Windows on my notebook, it's just that Ubuntu disagrees. Ubuntu partitioner can't even see the size of my second, D drive, though, when fully loded from liveCD, Ubuntu can see all the drives and copy files from across the network to my Windows desktop without any problems.

I even run checkdisk from Windows, no luck. Maybe it's an odd boot record that Ubuntu doesn't recognise.

Anyway, if I can't even install the dam_n linux, ADSL setup is getting too far ahead of myself.

At this very moment I'm downloading Fedora, I'll get Suse next, then compare how they both run from live CDs. Debian based distros would give me the same paritioner as Ubuntu that doesn't like my notebook, I suppose.

Plus, it is difficult to explain the whole thing, your windows is on an NTSF formatted partition and Buntu doesnt like it, BUTUN use FAT which is marching behind T Rex and Dodo, , you can partition the disk from XP, from Disk Manager, but that may not work with BUNTU, I never used BUNTU , SuSe has two version a Live Disk to setup from which is around 600MB, and 4GB DVD, if you can get the Live CD and set up SuSe, and just follow the promt, but if it ask you to delete or reformat, just say no.

Most HD are now around terra byte, and they cannot be formatted by FAT , it makes them unstable!

SuSe has friendly forum join that as well, and they will help you!

PLUS, Fedora has too many problem just stay away from it at moment, till they release their final version,

DON'T use it on your lap top, that one has ability to reset the bios and you may end up with strange performances , like not shutting down , and restarting by itself, depending on the age of your PC and version of BIOS it can go very strangely.

DO NOT DOWN LOAD the 4GB DVD, of any distro, they are not for laptop and most of it useless bloated software .

I know few people that use it for NETWORKING and teach at Tech Colleges , they have not gone beyond the version 7! which was great.

Edited by kujirasan

I know that my Windows is NTFS, I fromatted it that way.

Still, it doesn't explain why ubuntu doesn't see my Windows installation or can't read the size of the second partition (one disk, two partitions).

PClinux had no problem with installing itself alongside Windows whatsoever.

Whatever, there are too many distros to get stuck on any particular one. And, as I said, I like KDE desktop better.

Fedora coudln't be that bad, though perhaps not as newbie friendly as Ubuntu. If it might cause problems with my laptop, it's a different matter.

Generally, all I want is to copy large videos from my desktop and watch them on big screen TV via VGA output, and I want to show some Compiz eye candy on this agine laptop while I'm at it, just to brag about Linux.

For all other purposes I can boot to WIndows.

Desktop is a different matter, it needs to run 24/7 and download tons of stuff, and it needs to keep up the local network running.

That's where ADSL comes in - PClinuz wasn't even able to keep the connection.

Hi :o

I'm running Ubuntu (8.04) since about a year and my ADSL (via router) worked from the moment i booted it the first time.

I am now going the other way round if i really need "something Windows" - i have VMware Server installed and both Windows XP and Windows 95 (!) each in a virtual machine, either one networks just fine with the host OS (Ubuntu) and gets internet as well as access to one partition of the second HDD (which is still, from the days of Windows as sole OS, in NTFS).

So, via Ubuntu, i have Windows 95 (!!) happily reading from and writing to a NTFS partition, now come again and say "impossible" :D

Oh, why 95? because it boots in 15 seconds flat and allows me to do the one task i can't do in Linux - create DVD covers with a small image editor called iPhoto Plus (which i got for free along with a scanner in 1999 and still use today, but refuses to work under Wine).

Oh, and as a matter of fact - under Ubuntu i have faster internet than i had under Vista, nothing has changed to the TRUE connection itself or to the router and even my torrent program is the same (uTorrent, now under Wine) but it goes a LOT faster than before.

Best regards.....

Thanh

So far I've tried PclinuxOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, Kubuntu, and OpenSuse on various machines.

For my desktop that manages internet and network Fedora was the best, with some tweaking I believe I can set it up just like WinXP. ADSL is working, just network setup and connection sharing. But later.

On my notebook Fedora didn't get wireless right from the first try, and it had Gnome, so I put it away.

Ubuntu was perfect in all respects, except it can't see my Windows and so won't install.

Kubuntu was painfully slow from liveCD and I didn't have enough patience to set up wireless.

OpenSuse is the worst, a real disaster - the dam_n thing won't even log me in, just tells me that the password is wrong if I play with various user names, or "reboots" to the same login screen if I type in suggested "linux" with empty password. In a "failsafe" mode it safely failed, just froze.

MDcheck checked out, the CD is perfect, but it just doesn't work.

And I saved it for the last, after all the praise I thought that one would surely be a working solution.

What a disappointement!

Googling for the solution so far was fruitless. Just some "gurus" reiterating that it's linux/blank password combination.

I'm afraid there's more to come.

Open Suse, OPEN, for christsakes.

What a difference does a day make!

This morning I was fuc_king around with fonts in PClinux, they look really terrible on a crt monitor.

Tried it at home on my desktop LCD - they look far better than on Windows.

While I was at it, tried to set up ADSL again and chose "Asianet" provider from a drop down list, and it worked on the first try.

Now I'm off to setting up network for the rest of the house.

PClinux, as I'm typing now, is by far the most beautiful distro, and I haven't turned Compiz yet.

OpenSuse keeps playing up. Will try it on another machine.

• 8 months later...
Yes most (if not all) 3th party ADSL routers with Ethernet port work perfectly with Linux, hardware bought direct from True Corporation doesn't always work as the manufacturer specify.

This because True Corp. changes the firmware and locks it behind a password, leaving the customers with an good piece of ADSL hardware but crippled to work as nothing more then a PPPoE dail-up device. Of course there are countless PPPoE dail-up software packages available for Linux

I know this post is 2 years old, but my router from True is even older! This seems to be exactly my problem in Ubuntu 9.10, the router has been crippled to force a dial-in style login and password. My network card creates what I assume is an intranet connection with the router, but the "gateway" effect of this firmware changes it from an "always on" to a login situation.

In XP's network connections, I've always set up a WAN Miniport (PPPoE) connection, which requires me to login every time I want to access the internet. In Ubuntu, it makes a connection to the router, but I can't find any evident PPPoE package in the live cd. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I know this post is 2 years old, but my router from True is even older! This seems to be exactly my problem in Ubuntu 9.10, the router has been crippled to force a dial-in style login and password. My network card creates what I assume is an intranet connection with the router, but the "gateway" effect of this firmware changes it from an "always on" to a login situation.

In XP's network connections, I've always set up a WAN Miniport (PPPoE) connection, which requires me to login every time I want to access the internet. In Ubuntu, it makes a connection to the router, but I can't find any evident PPPoE package in the live cd. Am I looking in the wrong place?

You may have to download the file whilst connected via Windows (sorry). You can also grab the pppoeconf from the same link.

If its a router and you can see the web interface of the router setup using 192.168.1.1 then you can set the username and password there . I am not sure what kind of router you are using but for me I have to setup the router with my username and password before it started working without the True dial up software. I am using Zyxel 660 router that comes with True. Is it possible in your router ? I haven't used any old router so I am not sure.