Heart Rate

Neeranam

Runners develop very strong hearts that beat very efficiently at a low rate. However, if you are not a runner, I would advise you check with your doctor. Also check on www.runnersworld.co.uk for problems associated with low rate that can affect anybody with low heart rate.

Runner or not, if your heart rate is really below 40/minute, there is something wrong. Physiological slow rhythms ("sinus bradycardia" in medical terms) is 40 - 60 per minute. Below 40 is by definition abnormal.

Will rates of 40 - 60 can be normal, in practice it is rare to see a resting rate below about 55 unless the person is on beta blockers or is a really serious athlete.

Are you on beta blockers? (a type of medication commonly used for high blood pressure and/or heart disease)? If so that is probably the culprit and you should see your doctor to get the dose adjusted.

Count your heart rate for a full 60 seconds either using a stethoscope to listen or feeling the large pulse at the neck. Note also if the beat is regular or not.

If you are not on a beta blocker or if the beat is irregular, go to a hospital at once. You may have a life threatening cardiac arryhtmia.

If you are on a beta blocker and the rate is regular, skip the next dosage and see a doctor.

I'm on beta blockers and all manner of blood pressure reducing medication, and my heart rate was frequently below 40.

The docs were not overly concerened, but would prefer it to be above 40, and we have been titrating the meds to achieve that end.

Lately, it very rarely goes below 40, and they are much happier with the situation.

Runner or not, if your heart rate is really below 40/minute, there is something wrong. Physiological slow rhythms ("sinus bradycardia" in medical terms) is 40 - 60 per minute. Below 40 is by definition abnormal.

Will rates of 40 - 60 can be normal, in practice it is rare to see a resting rate below about 55 unless the person is on beta blockers or is a really serious athlete.

Are you on beta blockers? (a type of medication commonly used for high blood pressure and/or heart disease)? If so that is probably the culprit and you should see your doctor to get the dose adjusted.

Count your heart rate for a full 60 seconds either using a stethoscope to listen or feeling the large pulse at the neck. Note also if the beat is regular or not.

If you are not on a beta blocker or if the beat is irregular, go to a hospital at once. You may have a life threatening cardiac arryhtmia.

If you are on a beta blocker and the rate is regular, skip the next dosage and see a doctor.

While your advice is sound for the situations you mention, it should be noted that some people are not world class athletes and still have low heart rates. My resting heart rate has been in the mid 40's since I was young, and I am not young anymore. Like anything, it is what is normal for you, not what is normal for others. Since a low rate is normal for me, I have been advised against using beta blockers as well as monitoring my blood pressure medicine as newer ones also can reduce heart rates. I don't use beta blockers and my blood pressure medicine is sufficient so as not to impact my heart rate while doing its job on blood pressure.

I wouldn't get overly concerned on someone else's low heart rate if it is the normal rate for that person and he/she hasn't introduced anything into the equation that would impact it.

OMR,

What you say about different norms for different people is quite true but only within the range of 40 - 150 beats a minute (and a resting rate of 100-150, while not necessarily indicating heart disease, would generally indicate some sort of stress or other problem i.e. too much caffeine or effects of medication).

The reason is that the sinus node (the natural pacemaker of the heart...the thing that artificial pacemakers take the place of or augment) simply does not ever stimulate a rater below 40. So a person with a genuine rate below 40 is by definition suffering from a cardiac arrythmia, again unless it can be attributed to some medication. A low heart rate that is 40 or over and a rate below 40 (unless there is an obvious explanation for it such as a medication..and even then you'd want to adjust the dose) are two entirely different matters.

That said, many people take their heart rate by counting the pulse for 15 or 30 seconds and multiplying. This is fine if the rate is regular and in the usual 60-100* range or above. However with slow rates it is not accurate enough, and it really needs to be counted for a full minute. A real rate of 40-42 (which has mentioned falls within the normally possible) can easily appear to be 38 if not counted for a whole minute. My hope is that the OP's rate is actually in the low 40's and/or he is on beta blockers...because if neither is the case then athlete or not, there is a serious problem.

* 60 - 100 (resting) is considered normal. 40-60 is "sinus bradycardia", meaning a slower than usual rate that can occur in the absence of heart disease. Some people just naturally have it, lots of others have it as a result of athletics or medications. 100 - 150 is "sinus tachycardia", meaning a faster than usual rate that can naturally occur.

Edited by Sheryl