Thaksin And His Wife Issued Arrest Warrants Over Ratchadapisek Land Case

Jai Dee

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He aint worried loads of money and a great big house in Park Lane london
The Park lane property is an apartment & if memory serves the land is owned by The Duke of Westminster.

Regards

Oh, Gizmol, I'm so very tempted with this one. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Let me try my best to take on the comedy and the serious side, together.

The court could, if Toxiboy were indicted, sequester all his and associated funds...but we know it (The Establishment) will not. The sad Duke's land, in Park Lane, could be frozen while it is deemed to be a pertinent germain piece of State's evidence. That won't happen either. The Duke has enormous clout and he even employs lesser mortals to protect his assets.

When it comes to corruption, Thailand is in its embrionic stage. If you want to learn how to 'manage' wealth, don't

bother taking lessons from the Triads, The Mafia (Sicillia, Corsica, Sardinia), or The US Hoodlums...who only do it with weapons and drugs... far easier to do it The Perfidious Albion Way...with a stroke of the pen. If you don't already know, visit Westminster if you want to learn how to climb the heights successfully.

Only joking, of course, to cover my bum

Signing off.

I expect Thaksin may well assume control of the next elected government through nominees or proxies. Then, when he is satisfied he is immune to arrest he will return to Thailand to an orchestrated hero's welcome, then drag out the court cases long enough for evidence to be misplaced, witnesses to loose their memory or fail to testify, then do the same through the appeals process. Eventually Thaksin will be awarded billions of baht in compensation.

Yes, provided that he still has enough surplus dosh to keep them on his payroll. If not, his old pals will abandon ship to board a better vessel. That too, may sink. Who knows? Enjoy the spactacle. Are we lucky to be spectators at this circus? I know that some of us are suffering and my true sympathy goes out to those potential 'victims'.

Alex8

As previously stated extradition is a long and drawn out procedure. Certain points of law must be addressed. That the offence is one at law in the UK is questionable. Also I am not sure the UK would extradite a legally elected PM to a dictatorship. Benezir Bhutto of Pakistan is a pertinent precedent.

excerpts from:

Ex-PM and wife Pojaman become fugitives as judge orders their arrest for failing to appear in court

Attorney-General Pachara Yutithamdamrong said yesterday morning ahead of the warrant approval that prosecutors would seek help from the United Kingdom in having Thaksin and his wife returned. However, the court can try the case in their absence, he said.

Thaksin, in a statement released by a public relations company, said: "I am aware of the decision in Thailand. I shall consult with my legal advisers and make an announcement in due course".

Several foreign news and sports websites reported the decisions. If Thaksin is convicted, his ownership of Manchester City Football Club could be affected. The English Premier League could reconsider his status as a "fit and proper person" to own a club.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Tharit Charungvat said the initiation of extradition proceedings was up to the Attorney-General. The ministry will cooperate with other agencies to seek Thaksin's return under the Anglo-Siam Treaty.

British authorities reserve the right to decide if charges in Thailand had equivalents in law there, he said.

A British Embassy source, who asked not to be identified, said extradition subjects must be charged with a crime that in the UK would attract a sentence, if convicted, of at least one year in jail.

*That criteria is met*

If convicted, Thaksin could face 10 years in jail.

- Associated Press

A defence submission arguing there had been a failure to specify the London domicile of the two defendants was unconvincing, the court said. The defence did not object to the use of Thaksin's Bang Phlat address and Pojaman's Dusit home during a hearing on the issue, it added.

At the outset of yesterday's arraignment hearing, defence counsel Pichit Chuenban immediately filed three submissions - one disputing the defendants' addresses, another requesting a delay of arraignment and a third seeking a trial date within 30 days after the general election.

The court dismissed the defence submissions and issued arrest warrants for the defendants.

Outside the court, Pichit said he would travel to London to consult with the defendants.

"I cannot speak for my clients. They will decide for themselves on how to react to their warrants," he said.

"Please try to understand Thaksin's difficult position. Not only does he face this litigation but political problems as well," he added.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

To be continued...

Further news and updates will be supplied very soon -free of charge- by the 'Public Relations Agencies' of the Junta/CNS/Government/Courts and other Muppet orchestra's.

LaoPo

"Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont yesterday signed an order to establish an independent committee..."

Looks like the junta is becoming the "hub of independent committees"! Independent from reality and any sense of democratic justice, maybe.

It will be interesting to see how the UK reacts, given that the current Thai govt is illegal. One would assume this is a vaild reason why extradition could not go ahead, regardless of how much the Thai govt stamps it's feet over claims of corruption.

No, No, No. :o

The political takeover by the junta was illegal.

The current government was surely subsequently approved by the Head of State ... and is therefore entirely legal.

And it is the courts, not the government, who have ordered DL's arrest.

There is nothing legal about this government, the constitution is the law that gives government a legal status, and that one has been abolished.

I am, of course, not sure where you originate, but I can guess :D . Many countries do not have a constitution but have recognised governments. Most of Europe in fact! As said above the Head of State has approved it, its legal in international law and near normal relations continue apart from a bit of posturing.

All this just ensures that Thaksin stays away from Thailand for now.. it will blow over in the same way as it did with past PM's I would imagine

From Europe, in fact from a constitutional monarchy, and it is in the constitution that the head of state is determined, so approval from the head of state, of a country without an functional consitution is meaningless really :D

Likewise, I too hail from a european monarchy, although we don't have any constitution, as such.

The point I was trying to make was that, here in Thailand, the approval of the Head of State is the only approval, which really counts.

I'd add that the sooner we get back to an approved constitution, and an election, the better. That will be a step in the right direction. And it is interesting to look at what party (or ex-party) appears to be trying to block this progress. But this is drifting off-topic, Sorry.

Meanwhile Thaksin & family, after using every device to avoid coming to court, while proclaiming that there is no case to answer, finally has his bluff called. And the arrest-warrents are, as someone already pointed out, for his failure to show up in court.

:o It seems some posts have been deleted...

Any explanation, Mods, please?

LaoPo :D

I cut them from this thread and merged them into the correct (re-opened) topic, as they were not related to the issue of arrest warrants for the Thaksins.

You're all missing the point that they can try him even if he doesn't come back. The court has the right to try him in absentia, according to today's Post. This case seems very clearcut and easy to prove. Meanwhile, with a warrant out, he can't step back into the country without being arrested. And its a blow to his credibility before this Sunday's referendum.

After the elections in December the UK will not be able to use the illegal government argument to avoid extraditing him because there will be a democratically elected govt, which will be unable to stop the court process even if it wanted too, because it will be too advanced.

By then he'll have been convicted in absentia I predict. Plus they want 18 billion baht in taxes. The UK is going to look very bad if they don't extradite him. And won't a conviction here make him unsuitable to own an English football club - I'm sure I read they have rules about that.

Plus I see they've now started a 10 month investigation into the 2500 disappeared war on drugs peo-le. So next year it will predictably say he was responsible for that. So they'll convict him in his absence on the land deal, the UK will have to extradite him as a convicted criminal, they'll hold him in jail and then when they get a conviction on the disappeared people the next government will execute him. There's a plan there folks, we just have to think medium term to see it.

So they'll convict him in his absence on the land deal, the UK will have to extradite him as a convicted criminal, they'll hold him in jail and then when they get a conviction on the disappeared people the next government will execute him.

yeah right! as simple as that. reason: Toxin is a poor man now, all his money went into football and therefore he can't afford the best two dozen lawyers money can buy on this planet. moreover, not being an intelligent man he will be stupid enough to wait like a sitting duck in a country that has an extradition treaty with Thailand.

:o

What are his choices? Buying the footy club might buy him a bit of sympathy with the UK.

Will he go to Hong Kong where he's reported to have bought a property. Will the Chinese protect him? Maybe.

Where else can he go?

He's obviously intelligent so I can only assume he's decided his best chance is in the UK.

Democratically elected leader, ousted by illegal military junta, junta demands extradition. Yeah right. That's as likely as the U.K. extraditing him to North Korea. Ain't gonna happen.

If the next democratically elected gov't brings charges against him - OK, then he's in trouble. As it is, this move will just embarrass the military when the U.K. says no.

Meanwhile Taksin has just bought himself a place on prime time TV and in the hearts of all Thais for years to come for the low, low price of £86m - priceless. He may be corrupt and ruthless but stupid he's certainly not.

What? Haven't you heard about vote buying? Thaksin is a businessman.

I am sure Thaksin is shaking in his boots. This is just a procedure to discredit him even further to ensure he has no influence on the election.

Perhaps once the new Government gets in the will be thinking how can we make a few bob: Some bright spark will think "I know lets drop all the charges in return for Man City plaing 3 or 4 games in Thailand for charity...."yeah for our charity" That's 4 X a lot X 3 years.......yeah that should pay the rent.

Daft as that may sound I would put nothing past them.

They should be concentrating on more serious matters like All night drinking for ex-pats, restrictions on how much a bar girl can rip us for, and of course most importantly free visa for all.

Hmmm. I seem to remember that Thaksin recently bought Hong Kong's most expensive residential property. If things get too hot in England, that might become his new address. I wonder if China has an extradition treaty with Thailand?

Bruce1 and Farang Prince this was a fake story of the Hong Kong Standard eagerly distributed in Thailand by the military controlled media. :o

I have been looking at the international media and so far the stories are nearly the same. I expect it will be inside a week before we start seeing news reports as this is weighed in the public court of opinion. The feelings in the UK will be the most telling.

Because Thaksin has chosen the high profile route he simply will not melt into the woodwork as other fugitives would normally want. People will constantly be reminded he is a fugitive every time they hear about Manchester.

Understanding the reasons he chose the high profile route has become more obvious over the past several weeks. The first reason was a combination of his ego, and arrogance. The second reason was to connect himself with something that is wholesome to sway opinion. However now because of the status this whole thing takes on the appearance of a celebrity trial to a much bigger audience.

What will happen next is the world media will have a new target for news stories. Much of what has been old news in Thailand becomes new news to the rest of the world. I can imagine the threads here in the news clipping section will be getting surfed a lot by the world media.

Thaksin is about to discover the nasty side of living in the west where there is free press. Up until now it has all been elective positive press. Well those days are over and they will not care about his little good question bad question ‘x’ sign, they simply will be on him like flies in a outhouse.

Based on Thaksin’s inability to even answer mildly invasive questions in the few agreed to interviews over the past 11 months, I doubt Thaksin will be seen in public very much at all. Although the argument that football fans may overlook Thaksin, there are many who are not football fans that will not over look Thaksin.

From a business point of view, I expect this arrest has put on hold any business dealings and would severely limit new options. Companies will make the common sense decision not to get involved with Thaksin because of uncertain outcomes.

Although Thaksin may have some legal footing to delay extradition, his surroundings no longer resemble “The Shire” and the public’s pressure may be more than Thaksin is willing to endure.

Based on Thaksin's inability to even answer mildly invasive questions in the few agreed to interviews over the past 11 months, I doubt Thaksin will be seen in public very much at all. Although the argument that football fans may overlook Thaksin, there are many who are not football fans that will not over look Thaksin.

We will now see a dramatic decline in his English comprehension skills. :o

I wonder how many Thai ManU supporters switched thier team to Man City in order to show support for Thaksin? Lets see what happens this Sunday when ManU meets City for derby. All taxi drivers wearing blue and cheer Man-Si-Ti ?? :o

What are his choices? Buying the footy club might buy him a bit of sympathy with the UK.

Will he go to Hong Kong where he's reported to have bought a property. Will the Chinese protect him? Maybe.

Where else can he go?

Perhaps he'll become this country's headache..... :o

Thaksin Moving To Australia?!?! Looking for property in Sydney

Edited by sriracha john

Hmmm. I seem to remember that Thaksin recently bought Hong Kong's most expensive residential property. If things get too hot in England, that might become his new address. I wonder if China has an extradition treaty with Thailand?

Bruce1 and Farang Prince this was a fake story of the Hong Kong Standard eagerly distributed in Thailand by the military controlled media. :o

The military controls Forbes?? :D :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...amp;pid=1360736

btw, do you have any links that the whole story was fake?

Thaksin's safety claim 'defames Thailand'

Assistant army chief, Anupong Paochinda hit back at ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra on Wednesday saying Mr Thaksin’s claim of security fears as his reason for not showing up for a court hearing on a land purchase case casts a bad reputation on the country.

Lawyers of Mr Thaksin and his wife Potjaman said the couple did not appear at the hearing on the 772-million-baht land Ratchadaphisek land purchase case out of fear for their lives. They would appear in court within 30 days of an elected government being installed, they said.

snip

The Post Publishing Public Co

sometimes i feel so sad for the small people that make Thailand a great place. exactly what was it that prevented the then ruling government and judiciary from filing charges against a political entity, while by not doing so setting itself up for coup as the response. my sympathies lay with the lowest paid and hard workers of the country.many here deserve MUCH better.

I realize he was corrupt, I realize he has to be accountable, but this is just a witch hunt..

If he returns to Thailand this man is in serious trouble. He did not get on with the army and many of the corrupt politcians. He wanted to keep it all to himself.

This is payback time and I fear for his safety..

Whether you like it or not, the country was in much better shape when he was in power and he implemented many revenue raisers for this country.... He implemented a tax structure that was never in place before - but he didnt pay his own share!, as he had the "right friends" at the time...

It happens every day in business across the globe and because it wasnt shared amongst the other corrupt policticians and the Junta, he will hunted down his whole life..

Run Thaksin Run!

There may be the families of a few thousand dead people albeit poor ones that do not count that did not get even the access to court time he gets now who may disagree with you, but who am I to say that a bunch of dead poor people should get in the way of someone overseeing some economic growth that we should praise while quietly turning a blind eye to some ezxtra-judicial excesses.

Which ones, the ones that were selling yaba?, the ones that were killing people in the south? I think you better read some history buddy, poor people die every day, all over the world..

If you cannot see that he was a better choice than we what have now, you might wanna stop getting hammered.

The country is in a political crisis, because the army took over. I did not say he was the best man for the job, but I know when times were happier here.

If you want to help all these poor people, head of to Darfur and do some good.. dont pick holes in my post, as even a blind man could see that what I wrote is indeed fact.

Was he perfect? No!, is he better than what we have now? YES! Is he being hunted becuase he jumped throgh loop holes and didnt share the booty? YES!

Depends if you value human rights or mundane thigns like due process really, or even simple democratic principles such as formal equality in the eyes of the law. If not then you may be right to argue he was better.

I wonder how many Thai ManU supporters switched thier team to Man City in order to show support for Thaksin?

I did! :o

But then I already disliked Man U. so it comes easy for me. Plus that they played VERY attractive football in their opening game. Now let's see them trash Derby tonight and then there will be some honest buzz going around..

Thaksin may come out of this shining brighter than ever before.

Down with the junta, vote NO!