Thaksin And His Wife Issued Arrest Warrants Over Ratchadapisek Land Case

Jai Dee

Imagine you're a British Football Club and you were just bought by a 'criminal'.

:D

And where did you get this enlightenment? :o

Dont we always assume, innocent till proven guilty. Are you are trying to set some new trend? :D

Some may see a certain irony and even fairness in denying Thaksin the due process and innocence until guilt is proven his regime denied so many of his countrymen. Persoanlly I would not agree with that though.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sept return for Thaksin, wife undecided

Lawyer Pichit Chuenbarn said he is unable to confirm whether his clients, ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Potjaman will appear before the Supreme Court on September 25 for a rescheduled hearing in a land deal case.

Arrest warrants were issued for the pair on Tuesday for failing to appear for the first hearing in the 772-million-baht Ratchadaphisek land purchase case. The couple did not appear at the hearing citing security reasons despite the military government vowing to provide maximum protection for them.

snip

(BangkokPost.com)

Thaksin takes over despite Thai arrest warrant

Manchester City formally moved into the private control of Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday and the club are adamant it shall remain there, despite a warrant being issued for the arrest of the controversial former prime minister of Thailand.

Thailand's Supreme Court set in a motion a challenge to Thaksin's self-imposed exile in England and his position as a "fit and proper owner" of the Premier League club yesterday when, at the first hearing of a case into alleged corruption relating to a land purchase deal in Bangkok, the country's attorney general issued arrest warrants for the City chairman and his wife, Pojamarn.

Under part two of the Extradition Act 2003, which designated Thailand an extradition partner of the British Government, Thaksin may have to face the charges in his homeland while a conviction would counter the Premier League's assertion that he meets its "fit and proper owner" criteria even if passed in his absence.

Both developments would inevitably threaten his ownership of City, in which he has so far invested £40m on manager Sven Goran Eriksson's squad plus £81.6m on the takeover of the club, but representatives of Thaksin and advisers on the takeover process are unperturbed by such a damaging prospect.

Their confidence is based on Thailand's current governance by military rulers, who ousted the democratically elected Thaksin in a bloodless coup last December and the belief that, should extradition proceedings commence, both the High Court and the British Government would have to recognise the regime and accept its decision.

Perversely, Thaksin, recently accused of being a "human rights abuser of the worst kind" by Human Rights Watch over the death of 2,500 people during his government's war on drugs in 2003, could also be protected by the Human Rights Act.

Lawyers acting for Thaksin in Bangkok yesterday requested the case be delayed indefinitely as the former prime minister and his wife believe it is unsafe for them to travel in Thailand. The billionaire has claimed that the charges are politically motivated ahead of elections later this year and that he will return once a democratically elected government has been installed.

"No doubt this latest publicity stunt by the military government has nothing to do with the referendum on the constitution taking place later this week," said a sardonic spokesman for Thaksin last night.

The announcement of the arrest warrant came on the day an emergency general meeting involving the 10 per cent of City shareholders who did not sell their holdings to the Thai consortium was asked to formalise the club's move from public to private ownership.

Meanwhile, geographically and figuratively thousands of miles away from the legal proceedings in Bangkok, Eriksson has insisted that his concerns are confined to rectifying the club's appalling goalscoring record at home to Derby County tonight.

The former England manager, who declined to comment on his chairman's legal predicament, enjoyed a promising start to his reign with a 2-0 win at West Ham on Saturday but admits that ending the club's barren run on home soil – the City of Manchester Stadium has not witnessed a Premier League goal from the team since New Year's Day – will be essential to maintaining the feelgood factor ahead of Sunday's Manchester derby.

"I have heard about that," said Eriksson. "Let's hope we score before Christmas. Thirteen and a half hours without a goal at home is too long whether you are a fan, a player or a manager, but we can only look forwards. The team we have on paper should score goals and I'm sure they will."

Eriksson, who is continuing his search for an experienced goalkeeper and has not given up on the £4m pursuit of Palermo midfielder Mark Bresciano, also had words of sympathy for Wayne Rooney as he recovers from his third broken foot in three years. "I feel sorry for England fans, Steve McClaren and Rooney," said the Swede.

- The Independent (UK)

A new aspect....

Foreign Ministry urged to revoke Thaksin's passport

Former foreign minister Prasong Soonsiri urged foreign ministry to consider revoking passport of exiled prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra who was issued arrest warrant on Tuesday.

Prasong, now chairman of Constitution Drafting Committee, said that the foreign ministry should consider whether Thaksin's passport should be cancelled or not, given the fact that Thaksin is now alleged of malfeasance and the supreme court has already issued an arrest warrant for him. "

Thaksin and his wife; Pojaman, became fugitives on Tuesday after the Supreme Court for political holders ordered them to be arrested for evading judicial proceedings.

The couple are facing abuse-of-power charges related to a 2003 Ratchadaphisek land deal in Bangkok.

Foreign Ministry had cancelled diplomatic passport of Thaksin after he was ousted from the premiership in September last year. Thaksin, living in exile in London, is now holding ordinary passport.

Prasong said that public prosecutors will cooperate with the foreign ministry to look into possibility to ask the UK to extradite Thaksin. He said the allegations against Thaksin were not political, but criminal.

- The Nation

Stoneman's query is very pertinent and your response does nothing to answer it.Why has this relatively mild particular charge been placed centre stage when on the face of it there are much more serious accusations to seek Thaksin's arrest? Firstly it demonstrates that the junta has not been able to identify any corruption charge which will stick and thus justify their illegal coup d'etat.Secondly, as regards the serious human rights charges, it demonstrates the connivance of those crimes by the military/feudal apparatus.

I agree. Plus, the slowness of indictments and overall trepidations of the junta point to unsuredness among the 'powers that

be.'

Thaksin and his ilk will not be successfully extradited and will continue to thumb their noses as the Keystone Cops in Bangkok. Thaksin still has many cards to play. One example, which contemporary despots use often, is to feign ill health. Watch for that ploy if his feet get held anywhere near the fire, which they won't.

Lawyers acting for Thaksin in Bangkok yesterday requested the case be delayed indefinitely as the former prime minister and his wife believe it is unsafe for them to travel in Thailand.

She didn't seem to think it was unsafe up until a few weeks ago when she preferred to be "treated" for minor symptoms in fled to Singapore when there are just as many good Thai hospitals. She was in and out of the country as she pleased previously, same for their children.

About the slowness of the indictments, one of the main reasons is the delays and no shows of every single person involved including Thaksin and wife.

Edited by Tony Clifton

With T and family in the UK I have always wondered if they actually have UK or another EU country nationality. Many wealthy Thais have a second nationality. Revoking the Thai passport would not affect them if this were the case, but it could be politcally embarrassing for T and if I remember correctly after age 18 dual nationality is technically against the law in Thailand although never questioned or enforced.

Bruce1 and Farang Prince this was a fake story of the Hong Kong Standard eagerly distributed in Thailand by the military controlled media.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Do you have a link?

On the passport issue, surely it would be a visa not a passport which would be revoked on the basis of as yet unproven allegations, wouldn't it? In this case, it would be Britain revoking Thaksin's passport to stay in the UK. EVen if Thaksin is convictged, he's still a citizen and therefore still entitled to a personal passport, yes? Even if it does have restrictions.

You know, I wonder if the UK could just completely sidestep the extradition issue by simply canceling his right to remain in the UK due to character issues etc..? Just cancel his right to stay, using any loophole available, send him out of the country to wherever he wants to go, and let somebody else deal with tracking down the fugitive.

I guess in that case it wouldn't look to good for a Premier League owner who couldn't even get into the country to watch his own team though would it?

Talk about a witch-hunt. You'd think they'd done enough by now ...

I agree with you. it is a witch hunt.

thaksin is just one man. he couldn't do everything by himself even if he wanted to.

as a foreigner, I don't really care. but so many things you read in the newspaper here make you wonder.

...for instance, they blame thaksin for all the vote buying. yet, he is gone, and the committee has confiscated all his money. so, then, who is to blame for the vote buying now? all the vote buying that is occurring on both sides that they say is happening since thaksin is gone?

as for the drug executions, we still got police and army killing people. so, who is to blame? thaksin? he is gone.

witch hunt.

thaksin is just one man. he couldn't do everything by himself even if he wanted to.

as a foreigner, I don't really care. but so many things you read in the newspaper here make you wonder.

...for instance, they blame thaksin for all the vote buying. yet, he is gone, and the committee has confiscated all his money. so, then, who is to blame for the vote buying now? all the vote buying that is occurring on both sides that they say is happening since thaksin is gone?

as for the drug executions, we still got police and army killing people. so, who is to blame? thaksin? he is gone.

witch hunt.

May I refer you to this article:

"Thaksin said. "Nowadays, I am the main person who works. Everybody else in my cabinet is just my helper." :o

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/08/17...cs_30011288.php

With T and family in the UK I have always wondered if they actually have UK or another EU country nationality. Many wealthy Thais have a second nationality. Revoking the Thai passport would not affect them if this were the case, but it could be politcally embarrassing for T and if I remember correctly after age 18 dual nationality is technically against the law in Thailand although never questioned or enforced.

The whole process is just a wayang kulit ritual but with one piece of serious intent, namely that Thaksin should put out of his mind any thought of imminent return given the certain prospect of his arrest.I don't think he had any intention of doing so under this military regime but there is no end to the junta's paranoia.

And on the drugs war which I agree was the worst of Thaksin's crimes, nothing will happen despite Surayud's initiative and various Nation editorials.Rules of the forum forbid me commenting further but check out Daniel ten Kate on Asian Sentinel.

Edited by Jai Dee
inflammatory and derogatory comments deleted

Ministry of Foreign Affairs searches for current address of deposed PM and wife

Director-General of the Department of Information of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Tharit Charungvat (ธฤต จรุงวัฒน์), says he has instructed the department’s officials to find the current address of Ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra (ทักษิณ ชินวัตร) and his wife, Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra (พจมาน ชินวัตร). The couple is facing abuse-of-power charges related to a 2003 Ratchadapisek land deal.

The director-general reveals that the ministry will seek extradition from the United Kingdom where Mr Thaksin and his wife are now residing. The spokesman of the Office of the Attorney-General has earlier informed him that it will forward the court’s orders issued to Mr Thaksin and his wife to the Assets Examination Committee (AEC), the police, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the afternoon today (August, 15th).

Mr Tharit says the ministry speculates that the present residence of Mr Thaksin and his wife is in England. However, he says he cannot tell how long it will take for the U.K. government to grant extradition for Thailand to bring Mr Thaksin and his wife to stand trail at home.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 August 2007

The whole process is just a wayang kulit ritual but with one piece of serious intent, namely that Thaksin should put out of his mind any thought of imminent return given the certain prospect of his arrest.I don't think he had any intention of doing so under this military regime but there is no end to the junta's paranoia.

And on the drugs war which I agree was the worst of Thaksin's crimes, nothing will happen despite Surayud's initiative and various Nation editorials.Rules of the forum forbid me commenting further but check out Daniel ten Kate on Asian Sentinel.

Thanks for the compliments. I usually take time to read your stuff even if often I dont always agree with some/most or even all of it! There is a need for a difference of opinions in society.

It has been my contention since the idea was mooted that Thaksin would not be extradited and that the Junta did not want his return. In that we agree. Personally I am not sure when he will return but think he will. It probably depends on who ends up in the next elected governnment and of that I am fairly sure nobody is certain. The Generals act like they are paranoid that a vote will go against them. As for the ex-TRT they dont seem to know how high their support remains either. Recently I had dinner with a friend who is ex-TRT and she told me they were worried that they overestimated their electoral support. Then there are all the other parties. This uncertainty by all in my opinioon makes the situation more unstable. Some are going to get nasty shocks and nobody seems to know who will.

As to others on this forum. I find I have disagreed and agreed with people on both sides of the fence at times although I am certainly no fan of Mr T and his vehicle as most know. That doesnt mean I agree with coups or think the poor should be downtrodden etc. Sadly to have meaningful debates on these issues without it becoming a slanging match, which I admit to sometimes entering into, seems impossible. Maybe that will change in the future. We can hope.

Of course the drug war inquiry will in all likelihood go nowhere, but I would like to be wrong on that even if some of those involved were identified or even dealt with that would be a start.

Edited by Jai Dee
quoted inflammatory and derogatory comments deleted

...for instance, they blame thaksin for all the vote buying. yet, he is gone, and the committee has confiscated all his money.

Have they? Are you sure? If you read the thread, just yesterday they found another 200 million tucked away.... their 11th time through the banking system... he also had 80 million pounds to buy MCFC... he's got money stashed away that even he doesn't know about anymore.

so, then, who is to blame for the vote buying now? all the vote buying that is occurring on both sides that they say is happening since thaksin is gone?

World-wide electronic banking can be done in 2007. I do it myself every month.

best to take that one to the other thread...

Ridding a country of a despot is no easy task. Philippines still struggles from the fallout of Marcos years later.

PM guarantees the safety of deposed PM Thaksin and his wife

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has guaranteed maximum safety of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra (ทักษิณ ชินวัตร) and his wife, Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra (คุณหญิงพจมาน ชินวัตร) if they want to defend against their allegations in Thailand.

The premier said that all processes against Shinawatra’s family will abide by the judicial proceedings and international agreements. In the meantime, the premier affirmed that the government will not interfere in the Court’s authority.

Of course the Uk is unlikely to extradite Thaksin anytime soon, but it will make a hel_l of a mess out of his Man City chairmanship. At one point he'll be legally prohibited from sitting on the board. Will he still keep on bankrolling it?

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. By Christmas break he could be already out.

you are getting confused a little.Frank has never been chairman at Manchester City, the chairman is frank Wardle who has been chairman now for around 5 years & agreed to stay on as chairman after the take over.Frank is the owner of a company {sports international] i think they are called & it was this company that bought City.So no matter what happens it won't affect City & the flow of cash into the club.

Not according to Wiki

"Thaksin took control of the club in July 2007 in a takeover worth £81.6 million, purchasing shares from all existing major shareholders. Thaksin is chairman of the club, with former chairman and JD Sports founder[23] John Wardle deputy chairman. Two of Thaksin's children, Pintongta and Panthongtae are also on the board of directors."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_City_F.C.#Ownership

Also I remeber reading in that Fit and Proper person test that even a person convicted in the foreign court is prohibited from sitting on the board.

What if his passport is revoked? What if he applies for asylum? These are tough legal questions for Man City board to consider.

Sooner or later Thaksin's children are likely to be convicted, too.

Office of the Attorney-General takes arrest warrants to be issued to ex-PM and wife

Director-General of the Department of Special Litigation, Seksan Bangsombun (เศกสรร บางสมบุญ), travels to the Criminal Court to take the arrest warrants meant to be issued to ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra. on charges of power-of-abuses over the purchase of Ratchadapisek land deal.

The director-general says the arrest warrants will be submitted to the deputy-attorney general to sign before being forwarded to Caretaker Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol.Gen.Seripisut Temiyavet (เสรีพิศุทธ์ เตมียเวช).

The Office of the Attorney-General has been instructed by the court to have the couple appear before the court before September 25th.

The director-general states that the arrest warrants will be forwarded to the Assets Examination Committee and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

NLA Chairman indicates the cancellation of Ex-PM's passport must be based on conformity

Chairman of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Meechai Ruchupan (มีชัย ฤชุพันธ์) indicates that the cancellation of Pol Lt Col Thaksin Shinawatra’s passport must be based on conformity.

Mr. Meechai refuses to elaborate further on the possibilities that ex-Prime Minister Thaksin may request the United Kingdom for political asylum.

Mr. Meechai has suggested the prosecutors and Ministry of Foreign Affairs to explain to the authorities in the UK that the arrest warrants are part of procedures to fight corruption, reiterating that it is not a political case.

At the same time, Mr. Meechai has requested the deposed prime minister to return to Thailand to defend himself.

As for Thai Rak Thai group’s plan to arrange a rally against the charter draft this evening at Sanam Luang, Mr. Meechai says they can do it, but the demonstrations must abide by the framework of the law.

If they revoke T's passport that will give him more grounds to argue to the UK that its not safe for him to come back and should be given asylum.

The current action should at least keep him out of the country until after the next election, which is what I suspect the generals want as they want to keep him very busy defnending himself to ensure he isn't able to influence the next government to decide to arrest them for an illegal coup.

The family would have second country passports by now, wouldn't they?

Perhaps from the British Virgin Islands, in view of the families' massive investments, in their Ample Rich multinational conglomerate ? :o

Of course they probably have 2nd and 3rd passports, the non-disclosure of which as an elected official is probably additional criminal charges.

first there is no extradition treaty between thai and uk, look how many serious fugitive from europe have resided here over the years.

uk may consider it on the serious ness of the charge but imho its chicken feed, not a mass murderer or war criminal, like Blair

after all well known rogue saxin has successfully stayed in canada after looting billions from the BCI bank

this fit and proper person test may scupper the man city deal however. and he will be continually hounded by the gutter press where ever he goes in uk. :o

Thaksin, wife may face second batch of arrest warrants

A second batch of arrest warrants may be issued if former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Khunying Pojaman fail to surrender themselves to the Department of Special Investigation Friday.

Thaksin and Pojaman are obliged to acknowledge criminal charges relating to their alleged involvement in the coverup of their equity stakes in SC Asset Corporation, a listed company for property development.

Friday is the final deadline for the two to respond to the summonses.

Three other suspects, Thaksin's sisterinlaw Busaba Damapong, his sister Yingluck Shinawatra and his distant relative Penchom Damapong, have already reported to the authorities.

In the first batch of warrants on Tuesday, the Supreme Court ordered Thaksin and Pojaman arrested for evading the judicial proceedings. The two failed to appear for arraignment on abuse of power charges relating to the 2003 Ratchadaphisek land deal.

The Nation

Ridding a country of a despot is no easy task. Philippines still struggles from the fallout of Marcos years later.

That's only a theory, but you maybe surprised to learn that a recent poll of Filipinos voted Marcos as the most popular president ever. They never had any clear indication on how much money he siphoned out of the economy and all estimates vary greatly. The fact that they still can't find his apparent fortune makes one wonder where the truth lies.

IMO, The Philippines suffers more from the recent lineup of totally incompetent presidents.