The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

Millwall 2 Old Ham 0

Neil Harris 4 goals in as many games.

Looking forward to West Ham in the cup.

I think West Ham may be a little different to Old Ham though Mate... :D

True. And that 4-1 must still hurt. :D

Leave it ,why don't you. This is a lower league thread, and not a puerile handbags thread involving a Premiership club. It's Oldham , one word by the way. Try saying it, and then West Ham. See, it doesn't even sound the same. :)

Millwall 2 Old Ham 0

Neil Harris 4 goals in as many games.

Looking forward to West Ham in the cup.

I think West Ham may be a little different to Old Ham though Mate... :D

True. And that 4-1 must still hurt. :D

Leave it ,why don't you. This is a lower league thread, and not a puerile handbags thread involving a Premiership club. It's Oldham , one word by the way. Try saying it, and then West Ham. See, it doesn't even sound the same. :)

I guess you didn't watch Tommy Cooper. East ham. West Ham. Old Ham. Just like that!

4-1 touched a nerve did it?

exeter 1 yeovil 1

not a good night for exeter, total reverse of our last 2 games. we ran all over them in the first half and by h/t should have had the game sown up

due to injury were playing a 19year old fresh from the ryman league, talented as he is hes not ready. placing the expectation on the kids shoulders is not

v/good for him or the club.

second half, they pressed us and pulled it back and could have nicked it

A draw a fair result. but dissapointed we didnt take advantage of a v good first half display.

exeter 1 yeovil 1

not a good night for exeter, total reverse of our last 2 games. we ran all over them in the first half and by h/t should have had the game sown up

due to injury were playing a 19year old fresh from the ryman league, talented as he is hes not ready. placing the expectation on the kids shoulders is not

v/good for him or the club.

second half, they pressed us and pulled it back and could have nicked it

A draw a fair result. but dissapointed we didnt take advantage of a v good first half display.

How many get over St James Park nowadays mate ? I was surprised to see that the away end looks exactly the same as it did when I last went over there -- maybe in the mid-eighties.

weve been getting between 6500 and 7000 this season, acrtually got 9500 pre season against spurs which was a full house.

as opposed to 4500 av' last season

yeah the away end is a total disgrace, and hasn't changed since, well the 50s sounds terible, but probably near the truth.. !the rest of the grounds been re developed, doing it started us going down the

slippery slope to almost totally going out of business.there are plans to re develop the old stand and the away end. but imo we should be looking to do

something like colchesters done, maybe an out of town shared new stadium. But hey one step at a time.

something like colchesters done, maybe an out of town shared new stadium. But hey one step at a time.

That's right there loads of bureaucratic crap to go through even when the plans are up and running. My, Essex CCC are having the same hassles with the local council in redeveloping the County Ground -- due next year and now having to be shelved until at least 2012. It was the same with moving from the old, and much loved, Layer Road onto Cuckoo Farm.

But now the Community Ground is at last one year old, it's actually exceeded the projected turnover for last year, as it's proved to be a popular venue for lots of other community based events. As I'm sure one would do in Exeter. Very similar places in many ways.

Anyway ...

post-20082-1250805036.gif

Teddy Sheringham will not be applying for the Colchester vacancy ... Sheringham`s agent claimed he would not be interested in swapping the pleasantry of ITV`s punditry for a place in the U's dugout.

Well, that's a further blow. :D

... but Torquay United`s Paul Buckle may stall over a new deal to strengthen his chances of landing the job... Buckle comments today in the South Devon Herald Express: "I am flattered that I've been linked with a League One club, especially one that I know, just as I knew Torquay United when I came back here."

I'd sooner give caretaker manager Joe Dunne a chance to see whether he can string a few more results together first. Then if not, see if we can't persuade Alan Curbishley to to take the job ... :)

Edited by Happy Hammer

I dont know Joe dunne, so i cant really comment on what he deserves or doesn't.But I can say that Buckle has done a very good job managing torquay as he did at Exeter as a player coach. I know we were very disappointed to lose him as i'm sure Torquay would be. To the job.Big jumps for paul buckle all in 3 seasons, from player coach to con manager to div 2 manager and now possibly div 1 manager. has he handled the prev jumps well ? yes. Will he continue to do so, not so sure. colchester have a lot larger budget and , im sure big expectations to match it. all in all perhaps a step to far and a couple of seasons too soon for paul buckle. But hey, only my opinion.

post-20082-1250986606.gif

Apparently we were unlucky to lose 2-1 to the steeped in history, MK Dons franchise.. But it's no surprise to me that we lost with all that's been going on and still being without an appointed manager. Added to which David Perkins has also asked for a move citing that he wants regular first team football. Although it's true to say that he usually comes on a a substitute , but when he has come on he'd shown 100% commitment. No doubt that most U's fans will be sad to see him go.

Apparently, Monday sees the shortlisting of 5 replacements for Lamb*rt. According to one ColU fanzine poll the first choice is AN Other with Boothroyd being the second fan's choice. I think that I'd sooner go with Mr Other, or at least someone with a U's connection. There are a few apart from Joe Dunne to be considered, e.g. Paul Buckle.

Anyway, bring on Leeds next Saturday. Although I think that we'd do well gettiing a draw on that one.

The Mighty Millers Face The Mighty Dale at DVS today(sunday kick off due to U2 concert at the stadium) with the dales top scorer from last year now playing for Rotherham and he's been on the score sheet already for us, Lets hope he gets one or two against his former club today.

Edited by thaimiller

The Mighty Millers Face The Mighty Dale at DVS today(sunday kick off due to U2 concert at the stadium) with the dales top scorer from last year now playing for Rotherham and he's been on the score sheet already for us, Lets hope he gets one or two against his former club today.

I hope exactly the opposite to you TM :D

Good un-lucky today :)

Can you ruddy believe it. Le Fondre bladdy scores to help your lot beat The Mighty Dale :D

Can you ruddy believe it. Le Fondre bladdy scores to help your lot beat The Mighty Dale :D

2 in 2 games now for us, not a bad return. The pitch was terible by all accounts due to the U2 concert. But same for both sides I suppose. Another Good win for the millers :D

looks a bit of a mess but as you said same pitch for both teams. Ref thought it was ok. Seen and played on a lot wosre.

was there a couple of weeks ago for the cup game. First visit to DVS, thought the millers played well they looked solid, that said it was only derby county they were playing ;-)

Frankly i think its really bad that proffessional teams charge money for people to watch football and the dont supply the basics required for people to be able to watch it. What standard viewing can you expect to get for youre money on that shit heap? The fuc_kers are quite happy to go and spend thousands and thousands on players, but the pitch!!!. Highlights where footie is going wrong imo, run by a bunch of short sighted tossers !!!

and no doubt, the U2 concert was arranged well before Rotherham Utd had to move to the DVS. I think they should have used their heads and cancelled the game weeks ago though, its obvious that a concert on a pitch is not going to do it any good, its not the first time football pitches have been used for such events, surely people in charge should know what it does to the pitch and take the right action.

looks a bit of a mess but as you said same pitch for both teams.

Rochdales ability to play free flowing football, showing skill, grace and flare would have been hindered on that pitch.

:)

Whoops. Nearly forgot the smiley

God loves U2 ...

and Rotherham United ... :D

saw this yesterday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ale/8217757.stm

Again no mention of the fans paying good money for a sub standard product.

No slur meant on rochdales ability Mr bo !!.

:D

It was the same baseball pitch for both team rijit. In the second division they both should be used to playing on pitches that are not really prem standard. :)

It was the same baseball pitch for both team rijit. In the second division they both should be used to playing on pitches that are not really prem standard. :)

One of the best ways for a business to expand is to improve the product , Rochdales and Rotherhams product is football and for the clubs to grow , basicly the quality of the football needs to improve. expecting teams to produce good quality football on such shocking surfaces is rather short sighted.

post-20082-1251589327.gif

Colu 1 - Leeds 2. A bit predictable with our injuries and still being without a manager. But the spirit is there, but the appointment is now really needed. I honestly think that had there been someone to steer and direct the U's effort, then a draw at least would have been achievable. Leeds strength is in their defence (reminds me ...) and I thought their goalkeeper impressive. Conversely, ColU's weakness was two awful defensive errors that gifted them both goals.

Leeds brought with them their travelling contingent of 3.000. I'll comment no further ...

By next Tuesday a new manager should be announced at the U's. Out of all the 40 names that have applied for the manager's job, Aidy Boothroyd is being touted as forerunner. Although my own choice would be Steve Coppell, if true that he's one of the applicants. After it's all been done and dusted, I think that we'll do ok.