The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

There you go TM

Shefield Star, Monday, 7th September 2009

Ref.url:- http://www.thestar.co.uk/sportheadlines/Br...bins.5622751.jp

Breckin and co join Robins at Oakwell

MARK Robins will be confirmed as the new Barnsley manager at 2.30pm today and is taking the entire Millers coaching staff with him including club stalwart John Breckin.

Assistant manager Breckin, along with first-team coach Steve Taylor and fitness coach Nick Daws, joined Robins on "gardening leave" after all three confirmed on Saturday night they would be having talks with Barnsley.

The Oakwell club contacted Rotherham after Saturday's game asking for permission to speak to the trio.

Rotherham contacted them individually and all three said they wished to speak to Barnsley, so were given permission.

Rotherham then put in place their contingency plans with Head of Youth Steve Thornber in charge of first-team affairs assisted by senior pro Paul Warne and chief scout Alan Crawford, an ex-Millers player.

Robins had three years left on his Millers contract while the backroom trio had signed three-year deals in the summer.

Robins found himself getting unqualified support from the man who has just let him go - Rotherham United chairman Tony Stewart.

"Mark Robins is a good manager and he will be a better manager," said Stewart.

"We have a lot to thank him for."

He said that he issued the 'gardening leave' dictat to Robins because the talks with Barnsley were going to be protracted.

"Mark went over there on Wednesday, things were going to go on until Sunday and I felt it was better if he was out of the situation and that is why we did what we did in Thursday morning," he said.

Stewart said he looked forward to hearing from potential new managers.

The number who had already contacted the club by Saturday was in double figures.

Reds director Don Rowing said talks with Robins had gone "really well".

"We've got Rotherham's blessing to bring Mark to the football club.," he said.

"Mark is a very good young manager. We've not got into the matter of compensation, we'll have to see what happens there.".

Current Reds assistant boss Ryan Kidd and goalkeeping coach Kelham O'Hanlon will be leaving Oakwell. It is believed Kidd and O'Hanlon were contacted yesterday, thanked for their efforts for the club and told they would not be needed any further.

Rotherham went top of League Two with their 3-1 win over Chesterfield which included Adam Le Fondre scoring for a fifth successive game.

Unquote

Now it,s wait and see who else from the playing staff will be encouraged by them, to follow also.

The club should be in for a good payout, compensation wise, let us hope they can keep the standards, that,s the main thing

I didn,t realise Mark Robbins was still on a 3 year contract as indeed his backroom trio which they only signed this summer.

It is typical of what time equates to in footballing terms and how meaningless contracts are.

You and the rest of the fans must be gutted now a complete change over has been revealed, especially after so much success on the park.

Good luck to Rotherham United

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Latest news TM

Sheffierld Star, Wednesday, 9th September 2009

Barnsley agree Rotherham managerial switch

Barnsley have agreed compensation fees with Rotherham for assistant manager John Breckin, first-team coach Steve Taylor and goalkeeping coach Nick Daws.

It is understood the two clubs are also close to reaching an agreement for Rotherham manager Mark Robins, who the Tykes want to replace Simon Davey.

A Rotherham statement read: "Rotherham United can confirm John Breckin, Steve Taylor and Nick Daws have all joined Barnsley FC after agreeing terms on Monday night following an agreement between the two clubs on compensation."

Barnsley were scheduled to unveil Robins as their new boss at an Oakwell press conference on Monday but were forced to put it on hold when it became clear a deal for the former Manchester United and Norwich striker had not yet been concluded.

Barnsley's statement said: "Barnsley Football Club are delighted to announce that John Breckin, Nick Daws and Steve Taylor have taken up coaching positions at Oakwell today after a deal was agreed with Rotherham United over compnsation.

Unquote

Ronnie,s already been linked to Rotherham and confirms he would like another crack at it.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

The deal is finalised and now confirmed

Thursday, 10th September 2009

Robins pledges to bring winning style to Barnsley

By les payne

ALTHOUGH Mark Robins is well aware that the Championship holds many pitfalls, the new Barnsley manager is not scared of a move up in his managerial career.

"I think that I'll bring a winning-style to Barnsley," said Robins whose appointment was finally completed yesterday after the wrangle over compensation was finally sorted out.

"Managers live and die by results, so it's important to get those points on the board," added the 39-year-old who moves across South Yorkshire after two and a half years in charge of Rotherham where he was also a player and later Head of Youth.

"We've got good footballers here, we can play, but we'll have to look at the ugly side of the game, about trying to win the ball back when we've lost it.

"I've seen one or two of Barnsley's games this season and I know what to expect here, it's a big challenge for me but a good challenge. After managing a club through administration then I can assure you that is as big a challenge as you can get."

He said he would look back fondly on his time at Rotherham, praising the players he had left behind saying they are "a great bunch" and a delight to work with and hoped they would now go on and finish the job that had been started.

He also hoped that chairman Tony Stewart could push on with his plans to move the club forward and he thanked the supporters for sticking by the club during the really difficult times... "I had the supporters' backing and that means a lot to me.

"They have been magnificent, standing by the club even when forced to leave their spiritual home and in some really difficult times and I'd like to thank them for the support they always gave me," added Robins.

Unquote

Good luck with the replacement you " Millers " at least their may be some additional funds available to encourage a list of reasonable contenders.

marshbags :)

Its been a few years since ive been to Brisbane road, since my cuz played for them,and fair play to them they've done a nice job redeveloping it. shame about the team, pretty poor as were exeter until we opened it up in the last 20 mins, 1-1, a fair result.

post-20082-1252771929.gif

Swindon 1 U's 1

No real surprises there given the respective places in Div 1. Still a good second draw on the trot for the U's. Hopefully followed by a home win next Saturday.

Yeah.

A little disappointing not to get the win really, but still a decent result for us.

It seems that Danny Wilson has us playing some good stuff football but we are lacking 'bite' up front, hopefully that area will 'click' soon though.

Swindon 1 U's 1

No real surprises there given the respective places in Div 1. Still a good second draw on the trot for the U's. Hopefully followed by a home win next Saturday.

Yeah.

A little disappointing not to get the win really, but still a decent result for us.

It seems that Danny Wilson has us playing some good stuff football but we are lacking 'bite' up front, hopefully that area will 'click' soon though.

Video of the game's highlights

Excellent result for The Mighty Dale yesterday :D

Rochdale 2 - 1 Torquay

:) Thought I'd better reply on this.

Dissapointed, but not surprised. We were seen as darkhorses for promotion this season, ut so far it hasn't really clicked. I still be happy with a nice solid mid table finish, as long as there's none of those relegation battles. As you know Mr BJ, do have a soft spot for the Dale as well.

Swindon 1 U's 1

Yeah.

As I've said to you a few times mate, Wilson wil make you a competitive side in the league.

Excellent result for The Mighty Dale yesterday :D

Rochdale 2 - 1 Torquay

:) Thought I'd better reply on this.

Dissapointed, but not surprised. We were seen as darkhorses for promotion this season, ut so far it hasn't really clicked. I still be happy with a nice solid mid table finish, as long as there's none of those relegation battles.

Don't worry Toady, it's still only early doors yet.

As you know Mr BJ, do have a soft spot for the Dale as well.

Cheers my croaky friend :D

post-20082-1253381352.gif

U's 2 Hartlepool 0

With two new signings, Kayode Odejayi from Barnsley and Danny Batth on loan for a month from Wolves the U's looked better organised under Boothroyd's managership than they have for while.

3 penalties -- two converted -- was the goal difference. But to be fair the U's were worth that scoreline penalties or not.

John Barnes' much troubled Tranmere away next and then Charlton at home. An away win and a draw would be doing fine.

Northampton 1 - 2 The Mighty Dale :)

Will Buckley struck a second-half winner to earn Rochdale a 2-1 victory - their first on the road - and condemn Northampton to a fourth straight defeat.

Rochdale emerged worthy victors but looked as though they would have to settle for a point after Ryan Gilligan had cancelled out Chris O'Grady's first-half opener before Buckley popped up to hit a superb winner and claim all three points for the visitors.

Rochdale started brightly and Gary Jones went close before O'Grady broke the deadlock in the 19th minute, converting a low cross from the impressive Buckley.

Buckley almost doubled Rochdale's lead and O'Grady also tested Simon Brown. The keeper then foiled Chris Dagnall after he raced clear five minutes before the break with O'Grady firing over the rebound.

Abdul Osman and Luke Boden went close after the break before Gilligan equalised in the 64th minute, scoring from close range while Dagnall should have restored Rochdale's advantage a minute later, but he shot wide from the follow-up after Brown had saved from Jones.

Rochdale, though, were not to be denied, and Buckley grabbed a 68th-minute winner when he cut in from left and fired into the top corner from the edge of the box. Steve Guinan almost earned a point in the 79th minute but headed against the crossbar from Gary Mulligan's cross.