The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

post-20082-1253983422.gif

Tranmere 1 ColU 1

Not the best result for the U's, but we'll just have to take a point on the road. Although we haven't yet lost a game since Boothroyd took over as manager. Next week is a big one for the U's with Charlton at home on Tuesday and Huddersfield next Saturday.

Come On The U's

I suppose it fair to add that Essex beat Derbyshire by 5 wickets today , which takes us into Div1 of the CC next season. A magnificant performance today by the boys it has to be said. :)

post-20082-1254261284.gif

ColU 3 Charlton 0

For the first 15 minutes or so Charlton looked like they were going to give U's a game, but after a sublime back pass by one of their defenders giving an own goal, they went to pieces basically -- most notably in defence -- and were never a match for a well organised and much sharper Colchester. Tope Obadeyi scored a well taken second goal and the third just after half-time was due to their goalkeeper fumbling in the box with Obadeyi pouncing on the error to score his second of the match. Kevin Lisbie had a chance to make it 4 just before full-time but blasted the ball over the bar to ironic chants by Charlton supporters, to their ex-player -- "Super Kevin Lisbie". Myself I preferred the ones to ex-U's manager ,Phil Parkinson, after each goal that we scored -- "Parkey, Parkey, what's the score ? "

A bit early in the season maybe, but on the evidence so far, Aidy Boothroyd seems to be moulding a team well capable of reaching the play-offs come the end of the season.

Edited by Happy Hammer

Seems like a good weekend for all concerned. Apart from Torquay, slight chuckle. An unispiring victory for exeter. Beating a poor Hartlepool side, 3=1 however a wins a win. And were sitting nicely in midtable, anything above the relegation zone will do.

post-20082-1254613519.gif

ColU 1 Huddersfield 0

After a dire first half in which the blustery conditions may have played a part, the second half proved to be a far better game.

After half-time both teams seemed more adapted to the conditions and Huddersfield came out looking the more likely with the U's being forced into some very deep defending. However the U's were slowly edging their way back into the game. The turning point came when Gillespie came on for Platt , and shortly after when Huddersfield defender Clarke was red carded for a second bookable offence. This seemed to give the U's a greater confidence and Kevin Lisbie sprinted past the defender and crossed the ball to Odejayi to tap in his third goal in two games.

ColU still remain 4th in the table and next up have Leyton Orient away next Saturday.

Darlington 0 Macclesfield Town 1

This win lifts Macc to the heady heights of 14th in the table,above Crewe and Port Vale and 11 points clear of bottom club Darlington.

Yep,a good weekend for most of us.....with one shocking exception......Tranmere.....cant be long before Barnes gets his P45 Ken ??

post-20082-1254613519.gif

ColU 1 Huddersfield 0

After a dire first half in which the blustery conditions may have played a part, the second half proved to be a far better game.

After half-time both teams seemed more adapted to the conditions and Huddersfield came out looking the more likely with the U's being forced into some very deep defending. However the U's were slowly edging their way back into the game. The turning point came when Gillespie came on for Platt , and shortly after when Huddersfield defender Clarke was red carded for a second bookable offence. This seemed to give the U's a greater confidence and Kevin Lisbie sprinted past the defender and crossed the ball to Odejayi to tap in his third goal in two games.

ColU still remain 4th in the table and next up have Leyton Orient away next Saturday.

Tempting fate and Famous last words, blah blah blah, but when we played leyton they were a poor team, so yesterdays win was a little surprising. no such thing as an easy game , however !!!.

Whist Exeter travel to Huddersfield, Dont hold much hope for us there. But we live in hope.

ColU 1 Huddersfield 0

Tempting fate and Famous last words, blah blah blah, but when we played leyton they were a poor team, so yesterdays win was a little surprising. no such thing as an easy game , however !!!.

Leyton Orient, when they played and beat us earlier this season (in the LGCP Cup thing), were one of the two best teams I've seen play at the WHCS this season. I'm a little surprised that some of their results haven't reflected what I saw of them in the second match match of the season.

But yes, I agree that away to Huddersfield will be anything but an easy game for anyone. They play some good football.

Edited by Happy Hammer

Well happy hammer just goes to show what difference a few games make, cos got to say leyton o were the worst team ive seen this season.

Im glad you said that huddersfeild play good football, we seem to like that, although the results against charlton and leeds dont reflect it, we raise our game against quality opposition. Its the teams that are well organised and efficient we seem to come unstuck against. Still saying that still dont fancy our chances against huddersfield. PS THIS IS NOT BELITTLING youre score against charlton. But I went away from the valley that after, thinking some one v soon, A little better than us. will give them a pasting. They were v v v lucky to get 3 points against us. Cant really say I was impressed with parkinsons tactical awareness. That may be a lttle unfair, but you can only say as you find.

Edited by rijit

Well happy hammeer just goes to show what difference a few games make, cos got to say leyton o were the worst team ive seen this season.

Worse than Hartlepool. Blimey !

The O's have proven to be a bit of a bogey team for the U's over the past few seasons anyway. But as to their standard of football now, I'll make another assessment when I'm at their place next Saturday. Although if their results since playing us are anything to go by, it doesn't don't look as though you'll be proved to be very far wrong.

Im glad you said that huddersfeild play good football, we seem to like that, although the results of charlton and leeds dont reflect it, we raise our game against quality opposition. its the teams that are well organised and efficient we seem to come unstuck against.

The thing with The Terriers is that their results and league placing -- although they're slipping a bit --confirms that they're a fairly good side. But with ColU it's not so much as being a good footballing side at present but have a very difficult to handle strike force in the tower that is Odejayi alongside Platt and a well organised defence. Although to be fair it was only when the more skillful Gillespie replaced Platt did we look more incisive on Saturday. But given your reservations about being worried organised and efficient sides, then I think that we'd meet that criteria. Although none more so than Leeds of course.

Still saying that still dont fancy our chances against huddersfield. PS THIS IS NOT BELITTLING youre score against charlton.

Sorry mate I just don't understand this. How are you belittling the U's ? We've now beaten both them and Charlton in the last two games.

But I went away from the valley that after, thinking some one v soon, A little better than us. will give them a pasting. They were v v v lucky to get 3 points against us. Cant really say I was impressed with parkinsons tactical awareness. That may be a lttle unfair, but you can only say as you find.

Parkinson of course, took ColU on our most exciting journey ever when we got us promoted to The Championship in 2006. Before he left for the bigger dollar at Hull, and then came right royally unstuck there. :)

Charlton in our match definitely played the better football, but couldn't cope with our arial attack.I'm not sure that many other teams could have coped with that on the night either. Although to be fair, two of our goals were scored from along the ground passes .The other, a penalty, doesn't count.

I think if I was a Grecian I'd be expecting to lose next week as well. Anything else would be a bonus :D