Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What minimum balances do you keep in Thailand?

Featured Replies

On 11/22/2025 at 7:17 AM, Explorator en Actione said:

I keep about 2 Mil THB in Thailand, Health Insurance is in USA, and they are In-Network with Bumrungrad, so cover most if no all.   Trying to get Bangkok Hospital to partner with them as well, saves me a trip to the Big Mango.

 

I would like to know more about this insurance. 

  • Replies 66
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • 800K plus 12 million.

  • I have about 1,200,000 in Thai banks. I am retired and married to a Thai. I get about  50,000-55,000 month from social security and dividends from my US Exchange Traded Funds. Since I used to work in

  • I have 3 000 000 thb in the bank  for health insurance             850  000 thb in a seperate bank account for retirement extension,  and i transfer/or bring back cash from abroad every 3 or 4 mo

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Everyman said:

 

I would like to know more about this insurance. 

It s Aetna (International), I got it thru an employer and just kept it for past 20 years.  Only $158 a month for single no dependents.

  • Author
On 11/22/2025 at 8:52 AM, KhunLA said:

 

Why I never had healthcare insurance, as same, always had lines of credit to cover emergencies.   Thankfully, never needed.  Only used for investing. 

 

Really strange now, as past 35+ years, don't have 1 credit card.   If we traveled somewhere, the wife would probably have to rent the car, as I think mandatory now to have one :cheesy:

 

I let my wife handle 95% of online transactions. We only have electric as utility. If I want something from Lazada I just give her the cash. I remain out of the system. Not had credit cards in decades. 

 

Rhetorical question.. expats using credit cards for insurance.. I guess not worried having high balance and then kicking the bucket. That would leave the wife with a mess back home, even here.

 

Last trip to US I decided not to renew drs license. Not owned a car in decades. I did get an ID. It came down to not wanting to fk with the long line at DMV. Need to sort my finances so I no longer need to return 

  • 5 months later...

One bank account with 800k Thai baht not to be touched (in theory) year round for extension purposes. One with enough for spending and utilities. Years ago I kept millions in Thai banks, earning a nifty rate of interest in FD accounts. Now, it's "dead money". Being a "Farang stranded abroad" for 10 months with no access to these funds due to Covid-19 was the wake up call. My funds are better suited to be ensconced in financial institutions with better online banking, and protected by strict regulation and oversight of the FDIC, and recently earning better rates.

  • 4 months later...
On 11/20/2025 at 10:33 PM, oceanbluejewell said:

Good post thank you. I think it is important to think these things through.

My situation: semi retired, healthy, divorced/now single, >15 year in Thailand. Own a hybrid, rent two apartments in BKK and HuaHin.

 

My current cash reserves:

 

Healthcare: self insured ~3M฿

Dividend income: 120K฿/yr.

Extension $: zero as i have 5 year DTV visa

Cash: >250K฿ (thai bank) @0.9%

Monthly wise income: 23K฿

On retirement monthly wise income would likely increase by another 52K฿/mo.

Again thanks for post and comments.

[UPDATE SEPT 2026]

Health Care Fund (mix of large cap thai-stocks): ~ 3.5M฿ Goal: 6M฿ over next 5 years (then age 70)

Dividend Income: ~150,000฿ yearly Goal: 360K฿ yearly within 5 years.

Thai Cash Account: ~238,000.00฿ Goal: 400-500K฿ within one year.

12 Mo. Non-certified Thai GIC: ~200,000฿ Goal: 1M BAHT to use as medical expense fund instead of selling stock

Monthly Wise Income: 35K฿ / monthly

Retirement Income: 44K฿ / monthly

Pending the completion of my divorce I will arrange a TIN and move the non-certified GIC's to the higher interest bearing certified GICs.

Keep min. 25k in THB acct

Keep min. $300 in USD acct

I use CC for most spending.

I get THB at ATM with foreign bank card or wire $ to my Thai bank for cash needs.

I use CC for medical bills, then pay off with $ in my US bank. My US company retiree insurance reimburses me for my overseas medical bills.

I have a LTR visa, so I don't keep money in bank for extensions.

And, I can always borrow from wife. She has plenty in her Thai bank accts.

Edited by JohnnyBD

On 11/21/2025 at 11:02 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

As little as possible, transfer from my U.K. Bank as and when required, my lady has my details and in case of an accident/illness she can access my funds in the U.K.

Why keep money in a Thai Bank paying next to nowt in interest.

I agree. I keep at least 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for the visa extensions, and the rest I leave in the USA. I transfer over money as necessary. The rest is invested.

I don't have a health insurance problem at all, as my FEP Blue includes unlimited in-patient coverage at preferred providers, including Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok. If anything major comes up, I have no worries. For outpatient care, they cover 85%.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.