Funny Thai Customs

JonnieB

This falls in the category of funny or unusual Thai customs :o

Does anyone know why many times when I order a cup of coffee or specialty coffee beverage (aka latte, capachino, etc.) at many Thai oriented cafés, I also receive a cup of hot tea gratis? (Of course, I never have to worry about this happening at "Western" oriented or targeted places like Starbucks, 94cent, etc.) Does it also work the other way around...would I get a free cup of joe if I ordered a cup of tea? This has happened to me in fancy cafés, neighborhood places, and also street-side coffee vendors. What gives?

This custom seems very odd to me...usually I am in the mood for one hot beverage or another...usually coffee in the morning, and when I do have tea...not often, I'm American...it would most likely be in the afternoon/evening. I don't think I would enjoy the taste of basically mixing them in my mouth one after the other. However, the Thai sitting at the table next to me just now polished off both his coffee and tea and seems very satisfied. As for me, my regular shops have stopped wasting their tea on me :D

This falls in the category of funny or unusual Thai customs :o

Does anyone know why many times when I order a cup of coffee or specialty coffee beverage (aka latte, capachino, etc.) at many Thai oriented cafés, I also receive a cup of hot tea gratis? (Of course, I never have to worry about this happening at "Western" oriented or targeted places like Starbucks, 94cent, etc.) Does it also work the other way around...would I get a free cup of joe if I ordered a cup of tea? This has happened to me in fancy cafés, neighborhood places, and also street-side coffee vendors. What gives?

This custom seems very odd to me...usually I am in the mood for one hot beverage or another...usually coffee in the morning, and when I do have tea...not often, I'm American...it would most likely be in the afternoon/evening. I don't think I would enjoy the taste of basically mixing them in my mouth one after the other. However, the Thai sitting at the table next to me just now polished off both his coffee and tea and seems very satisfied. As for me, my regular shops have stopped wasting their tea on me :D

the tea is supposed to clense the body.......

OK...I get it now. Seems the consensus is it's to "cleanse" the mouth or body. However, the last thing I would want to do after enjoying a good cup of coffee is to prematurely wash its wonderful taste out of my mouth. I mean, that was the reason I ordered it in the first place....the wonderful taste and aroma :o

OK...I get it now. Seems the consensus is it's to "cleanse" the mouth or body. However, the last thing I would want to do after enjoying a good cup of coffee is to prematurely wash its wonderful taste out of my mouth. I mean, that was the reason I ordered it in the first place....the wonderful taste and aroma :o

I often think it's to spare others from an unpleasurable encounter with someone suffering from coffee breath. Let's face it, finest Arabica don't smell too aromatic when floating up from the gullet and out of the mouth of a recent indulger.

I believe that this isn't a Thai custom at all - it is a Chinese imported one. Same goes for the 'Chinese donuts' (Patongko) which are served with the coffee, often dipped in and eaten.

The Chinese-style tea is supposed to take the bitterness of the coffee from your mouth afterwards. It is also refreshing.

Edited by Stephen Cleary