Tourist Visa Extension Troubles

I was in the Nong Khai Immigration Office last week for about an hour to obtain a letter for a drivers license. During that hour 6 or 7 farangs came in for 30 day extensions of tourist visas and the response to all was the same "new law, only 7 days now, if you want more go Lao". The price for the 7 day was still 1900baht and they all left without getting an extensions. I had my wife ask him when the new law went into effect and he did not answer but went on a bit of a rant about farangs. Her polite translation was "he speak no good farangs".

Thank you for your post. :o

It seems that this 7-day extension on tourist visas has moved from a one-off, one-official-having-a-bad-day scenario to an established Office Policy...

for Nong Khai, anyway.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are in the Northeast area, where would be the next nearest

immigration office? The Thai system, with it's wonderful flexiblilty

does often work to the advantage of foreigners but here apparently,

we have an unfriendly officer who has decided to use his discretionary

powers to limit visitors extensions of stay. Another member recently

posted this helpful link for the korat office. Is that the closest one? :o

http://www.thekoratpost.com/immigration.html

There is NO legit visa option for an under 50 retiree in Thailand.

Then maybe he should not be living in Thailand? You do not have the right to live in any country that you want to. Each country has rules on who can live in their country. If Thailand says that you can live here if you have a job, if you are married to a Thai person, or if you want to retire after 50, then that is the rule.

The way I figure it, if you can use loopholes to stay here, then fine. But you do not have a valid complaint when they change the rules and take away the loopholes that allow you to stay here using a visa that was not designed for living in Thailand.

That being said, it is frustrating that you cannot count on the rules being consistant from one immigration officer to another. Wish they all followed the same rule book.

Jim

I suppose I agree with you, but don't agree with your tone.

There are loopholes, ways a retiree under 50 can live in Thailand, at least for a few years, with a high degree of probability. I have the opinion that the Thai immigration rule makers are not retarded, and they are totally aware of the loopholes, and don't have a real problem with it. Remember when they cracked down on 30 day visa runs? The reason given was that so people could apply for tourist visas and go through background checks. Well, no major change since then, so adventurous risk taking retirees under 50 can still do this, and Thai immigration knows quite well they can do this. So, if you know what you are getting into and are game to play the game and jump through the hoops, why not?

My other disagreement with your tone kind of hits a pet peeve of mine. Lets face it, Thai immigration and expats are not on the same page. We want to stay in Thailand. They often set up rules that stop us from living in Thailand. Obviously, they have the right to make any rules they want. However, we don't have to be their cheerleaders or rationalizers. I think it is best for us to advocate for our own self interest (we are a group with almost no power after all and if not us, who?) rather than give any more power in the form of a-kissing to the all powerful.

I guess being from the US and having so many people illegally in the US, following immigration rules is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

As I said, I have no problem with people coming and staying if they can do it legally.

I think they probably were trying to make it more difficult when they started the 90days/6months rule. I wonder if they did not realize that people would then start using a combination of visa waivers and tourist visas to do the same thing? Maybe they make changes now, by limiting the number of days of the extensions, to make it so that you cannot use visa waivers and tourist visas to stay year round.

As for me, I am only in Thailand part time each month, spending the rest in China. Although I will be spending over 3 weeks a month Thailand starting the end of this month, and hope that my multi entry business visa will suffice. Since I will be traveling out of the country every month, I should be Ok, I hope.

I wonder if they did not realize that people would then start using a combination of visa waivers and tourist visas to do the same thing?

They realized it! No doubt about that. Go back to statements from official immigration communications back then. They made it clear that you could still stay, just wanted you to go through the visa system for a background check.

And comparing Thai immigration by people from the first world to US immigration by people from the third world is totally inappropriate.

If you are talking about US illegal immigration, please wake up. It exists because corporate interests want it to exist: cheap labor!

Edited by Jingthing

I believe it's a good idea to always dress well when visiting an immigration office. In Jomtien I'm often surprised to see how casually (tank top and flip-flops) a lot of foreigners dress when visiting there.

If you are a "tourist", why shouldn't you be dressed in tourist attire? :o

Tourist attire? That could be anything at all and vary from country to country. I'm not talking about a suit and tie, just a neat shirt or t-shirt and tidy shorts with shoes.

It's called showing a little respect for Government departments (officials) in a country you are visiting.

And if you don't have 800 K? Also 800 K is not a few amount. How many thai people spend 800 K in one year, for living expenses?

There are many retired people that can't have 800k but have just about 30 /40 or 50 K a month. Just 30/ 40.000 baht a month you can living very well in Thailand.

If someone from a western country reaches their age of retirement and does not have a pension of ~$2000 USD a month or $25,000 USD saved, then how were they planning on surviving? If you do not have this minimal amount of money then you have surely failed in planning for your retirement. Or if you are retiring early, you should probably rethink that.

If you are truely retired and cannot meet this requirement, move back to your home country, get a job, save your money like crazy for a couple of years, and then come back.

Jim

"Foreigners applying for the first time for an extension of stay are

given a 30 day extension from the date of expiry of the original

admission, except for citizens of Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Iran,

Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, Togo, and Uganda, whose application

for extension of stay will not be approved and the applicants are

ordered to leave the kingdom within seven days."

Your quote does not say anything about it being the first extension of stay on a particular visa/waiver. Maybe they are reading into it that if you had a extension before on any visa/waiver, then they only give you 7 days?

And if you don't have 800 K? Also 800 K is not a few amount. How many thai people spend 800 K in one year, for living expenses?

There are many retired people that can't have 800k but have just about 30 /40 or 50 K a month. Just 30/ 40.000 baht a month you can living very well in Thailand.

If someone from a western country reaches their age of retirement and does not have a pension of ~$2000 USD a month or $25,000 USD saved, then how were they planning on surviving? If you do not have this minimal amount of money then you have surely failed in planning for your retirement. Or if you are retiring early, you should probably rethink that.

If you are truely retired and cannot meet this requirement, move back to your home country, get a job, save your money like crazy for a couple of years, and then come back.

Jim

Actually, Mr. Jim, both of you are correct a little bit.

Many people can retire quite well in Thailand for well under 800k a year. It is still a very cheap place to live if you avoid the nightlife and are lucky to have good health. And you are correct, Thailand or any country has every right to set any financial levels that they like.

Thailand's system is a little different though, not saying it is good or bad, just different. There is no requirement whatsoever to prove you are truly retired in any classic sense. Just that you have some cash for the upcoming 12 month period. Thats pretty much it, has advantages or disadvantages depending on your personal situation.

Tourist attire? That could be anything at all and vary from country to country. I'm not talking about a suit and tie, just a neat shirt or t-shirt and tidy shorts with shoes.

It's called showing a little respect for Government departments (officials) in a country you are visiting.

My take on this (FWIW) - Look at yourself in the mirror. Study the person you see objectively.

If you were an Immigration Officer, would you want this person to stay in your country?

Remember - first impressions are very important to most humans whether we realise it or not and strongly influence subsequent decision making!

After all, you're hardly a tourist if you live here.

So what are you? Tourists have to live as well.

Moreover, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like nothing

more than to have a clear and legal way to get a non-tourist visa

for instance one year, with well-defined rules e.g. proof that you can support yourself during that

period etc. Because the uncertainty and hassle of having to travel every other month is a royal pain !

Even though I have very legit reasons for being in Thailand: dive, learn Thai while on a sabbathical

to finish writing my PhD thesis etc, I `fall thru the cracks'

for all non-imm visas: not 50, not opening a business (and VERY RELUCTANT TO DO SO

given all the red tape and arbitrary rules), not enrolled in a Thai university nor Thai course

because there isn't one within 2 hours... Already married to non Thai+ the minimum

wage requirements are plainly absurd given the average Thai income and cost of living...

I feel that even if I'm not a millionaire, I benefit the local economy,

helped as I could by giving away books, volunteering English and Computer literacy,

learnt a lot about the local customs and tried to reciprocate

(which I could not have, had I been the std 1 month tourist

staying at a high end resort)

I even found a lovely home I'd love to rent

in an area recovering from the Tsunami which NEEDS visitors like myself.

I have also budgeted to take scuba classes,

have 100.000 bahts of dental work to be done (and Thai dentists are affordable and competent).

Yet I won't commit to any of that in Thailand if my visa situation remains so unpredictable...

One small example of a truckload of money likely to end up in a more welcoming country...

Sad for me, sad for Thailand's economy, sad for all the wonderful Thai people I've become attached to

... and extremely short-sighted imho !

Each time I watch TV, `Malaysia truly Asia' grabs my attention a bit more,

and I've invested in Lonely planet guidebooks for the Phillipines, Korea and most

countries nearby ...

Jim

Ever heard of a thing called DIVORCE Jim?

Is having proof of an onward flight an issue when extending a Tourist Visa?

My first 60 day Visa is coming to an end next week so my options are extend by 30 days or exit the country and use the second of my double entry tourist Visa's.

I've recently changed my return flight to the new year (when I hope to have worked my way through both visa's) so I will have no proof of leaving within the next ~30 days.

Should I be ok?

Thanks in advance for any help.