Tourist Visa Extension Troubles

Firstly I say hello to all as this is my first post.

I am a 39 year old Brit living in Thailand for some 2 years now and last friday I went to Nong Khia immigration to extend my 90 day tourist visa after the usual 60 days.

When my turn came I took my seat and presented my paperwork. The official took a brief look and smiled at me smugly and told me he would only extend it for 7 days at the same cost (1,900baht) as the 30 day extension.

When I questioned this he just kept say "New law come last year"

I politely showed him my passport that he himself extended for 30 days in May this year.

"New law come last year" was all he would reply.

I had no choice but to pay as I was unprepared for an overnighter in Laos and when I asked should I just go to Laos every 2 months and not bother with the extension "Nothing sure" was his informative reply.

Once again I left Thai immagration feeling like some form of undesirable that should only be treated with contempt.

I would like to know if anyone else has had their so called 90 day tourist visa turned into a 67 day visa or was the gentleman, if you have been to AEK hospital, Udon or Nong Khia you know which one I mean, suffering PMT that day?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your tourist visa is only valid for 60 days (not 90).

The 30 day extension is not a given, it is entirely at the discretion of the immgration officer, obviously he was having a bad day and took it out on you :o

The 30 day extension is not a given, it is entirely at the discretion of the immgration officer, obviously he was having a bad day and took it out on you :o

There's nothing obvious about this at all.

This is a serious concern for many of us who rely on the 30 day extensions on tourist visas, apart from the waste of money. I would not want to pay 1,900 baht for a 7 day extension.

There's nothing obvious about this at all.

This is a serious concern for many of us who rely on the 30 day extensions on tourist visas, apart from the waste of money. I would not want to pay 1,900 baht for a 7 day extension.

A friend who is a Hong Kong citizen has also been coming in

and out of Thailand regularly over the pat 2 years on Tourist visas

and he was warned in HK that this is the next thing they are about

to change - i.e. limiting the number of toursit visas you ca get :D

A friend who is a Hong Kong citizen has also been coming in

and out of Thailand regularly over the pat 2 years on Tourist visas

and he was warned in HK that this is the next thing they are about

to change - i.e. limiting the number of toursit visas you ca get :o

Don't panic yet. It was probably a warning that HK would limit the issue of tourist visas (from their consulate). This has already occured at other consulates (Laos, Singapore, Cambodia) where the tourist is told (stamp in passport) not to come back again.

Nong Khai has never been a 'friendly' immigration office at the best of times.

But,

The OP is 'living' for the last 2 years in Thailand on tourist visas ?

Maybe the officer felt it was time for him to stop pretending ?

Unfortunately the extensions are at the discretion of the officer so to be sure, yes get a visa every 60 days would be the way to go if this is the only kind of visa the OP can get.

Unfortunately the extensions are at the discretion of the officer...
Good point Krub, this is a phrase continually bantered around but if you're unhappy with what's being meted out, doesn't the officer have a superior he's answerable to?

I've always used the chain of command in other countries (US, UK, EU). Does that not work here in LOS? :o

Unfortunately the extensions are at the discretion of the officer...
Good point Krub, this is a phrase continually bantered around but if you're unhappy with what's being meted out, doesn't the officer have a superior he's answerable to?

I've always used the chain of command in other countries (US, UK, EU). Does that not work here in LOS? :o

Very difficult as you need to make sure it does not look like the officer loses face in the process.

What would be possible (but it seems the OP left it to the last day) is to try another immigration office or just cross the border as Nong Khai is near the river to Laos.

Nong Khai has never been a 'friendly' immigration office at the best of times.

But,

The OP is 'living' for the last 2 years in Thailand on tourist visas ?

Maybe the officer felt it was time for him to stop pretending ?

I think the whole reason behind the change in policy for Tourist Visas is to stop people "living" here on a Tourist Visa. After all, you're hardly a tourist if you live here.

"Nothing sure", couldn't have come up with a better quote to explain the

general situation. A guy goes to the trouble of actually getting an official

tourist visa and now he can't even count of being given an extension. :o

...but they will happily take your 1,900 baht for a 7 day extension.

When you make the application are you given the option to decline (if you're only offered 7 days) and get your money back?

I don't believe so.

Yes Tropo, on that TM.7 extension of stay form, I think there is actually a disclaimer

stating that in the event of denial of request, no refunds will be given.

In the last year, I faintly recall two other instances where this 30 day extension on a

tourist visa was denied/reduced. A member once reported this from the Jomtien

immigration office and then another occurrence at Koh Samui.

Back right before October '06 there was an interview with some high-ranking member

of immigration the interview It seems that the original reasons for the more rigorous

enforcement policies, actually screening people on the embassy/consulate database,

have evolved into the odd punitive measure against a long-stay tourist. :o

Edited by cali4995

Its a tough deal, sure, but remember we are guests in this country and must respect the authorities. Perhaps you should review your visa situation and find something more fitting to your needs than repeated tourist visas.

Good Luck

Bruce

Appreciate the tip bruceboy but I do (respect the authorities) and I have (reviewed my visa situation). Until I'm 50 years old, I am just one of tens of thousands who fall through the visa gap! :o

Things work differently here. If one officer says such 'n such, another officer (regardless of whether he's superior or not) will not overide the first person's decision. There are several reasons for this. The first reason is "face." and no one wanting to cause another to lose any of it. The 2nd reason is power trip - here's an opp for a Thai to get back at those uppity farang who seem to never be hurting for money as long as they can trot off to the nearest ATM. The 3rd reason that the officer is being unaccommodating is he thinks he's doing the right thing for Thailand by keeping non-rich farang from residing here too long. The only way he can tell a rich farang from a non-rich one is by the person's appearance and the amount of jewelry he's wearing and possibly by the woman on his arm. Without being acquainted with the farang, they have no real way to gauge whether the guy's a big spender or a trafficker or someone doing a lot of helpful volunteer work within Thailand, ....or what.

Another reason a Thai will not counter another Thai - is they band together, right or wrong - especially if the outsider is a farang. It's a similar mentality of prison gangs or nightclub fights: if one of 'my brethren' gets threatened, I'm going to jump in the fray and do anything (fair or not) to defeat the other guy. Whether 'my brethren' is right or wrong in the scenario is inconsequential. ....the important thing is sticking up for one's own kind.

sad but true.

I am a 39 year old Brit living in Thailand for some 2 years now and last friday I went to Nong Khia immigration to extend my 90 day tourist visa after the usual 60 days.

When my turn came I took my seat and presented my paperwork. The official took a brief look and smiled at me smugly and told me he would only extend it for 7 days at the same cost (1,900baht) as the 30 day extension.

I politely showed him my passport that he himself extended for 30 days in May this year.

I had no choice but to pay as I was unprepared for an overnighter in Laos and when I asked should I just go to Laos every 2 months and not bother with the extension "Nothing sure" was his informative reply.

Once again I left Thai immagration feeling like some form of undesirable that should only be treated with contempt.

I would like to know if anyone else has had their so called 90 day tourist visa turned into a 67 day visa or was the gentleman, if you have been to AEK hospital, Udon or Nong Khia you know which one I mean, suffering PMT that day?

Pehaps if you had started with, "I am a 39 your old tourist, holidaying in Thailand for two years" instead of what you did, you might have received more sympthy.

If you are rich enough to retire at 39, you are rich enough get some sort of Visa.

Most people I hear whinging about it are working here illegally.

Pehaps if you had started with, "I am a 39 your old tourist, holidaying in Thailand for two years" instead of what you did, you might have received more sympthy.

If you are rich enough to retire at 39, you are rich enough get some sort of Visa.

The OP has my total sympathy, speak for yourself!

There is NO legit visa option for an under 50 retiree in Thailand. I had to play exactly the same game until I turned 50, back when it was easier. The obvious thing would have been the investment visa, but that was abolished! What do you expect him to do, make up a visa classification that doesn't exist? Start a bogus business just for a visa? What exactly?

Edited by Jingthing

Dupont, I was not looking for sympathy, I was recounting an experience regarding a visa issue which due to the nature of this website I thought may have been of interest to some of its members.

Your inference that I may be working here illegally is just offensive as you know nothing of my situation.

I have investments that have allowed me to retire at 39, 36 actually, is that something you have a problem with?

I have broken no rules by staying on a TV but should that situation change I would abide by any new regulations or leave the country.

Most people I hear whinging about people staying here on TV's seem to think they are superior beings because they have a one year visa. Oh look, my visa is bigger than yours, therefore I am good and you are bad :o

Dupont, I was not looking for sympathy, I was recounting an experience regarding a visa issue which due to the nature of this website I thought may have been of interest to some of its members.

....and indeed it was. Thaivisa depends heavily on "field reports" just like yours to provide its members with the latest information at various locations around the world on a variety of visa issues. For that, I and others thank you, again.

Your inference that I may be working here illegally is just offensive as you know nothing of my situation.

I have investments that have allowed me to retire at 39, 36 actually, is that something you have a problem with?

I have broken no rules by staying on a TV but should that situation change I would abide by any new regulations or leave the country.

Most people I hear whinging about people staying here on TV's seem to think they are superior beings because they have a one year visa. Oh look, my visa is bigger than yours, therefore I am good and you are bad :o

Don't pay attention to Dupont.... nobody else here does.

Absolutely, Udon.

Unless you have permanent residence, we are all "dogs" just with different lengths of leash.

I guess doing the superior dance is just part of human nature ... the DARK side.

Nice post Jingthing...FWIW I'm in TOTAL agreement with UdonRoy too! :o

You've done us a great service by posting your experience UdonRoy and thank you for nailing the key points so that other's in your situation (living here legally on a tourist visa) can be forewarned. :D

I was at the immigration office in Bangkok last week and while I was sitting and waiting I saw a hand written sign by the window that usually handles tourist visa extensions. It read, "Only 7 day extensions for all visas".

So this may mean that they may be changing the policy or enforcing a policy that was previously unenforced.

Above:

From elsewhere:

People like you, who are morally superior and have enough money not to be affected by this, should think of others just once in a while.

'nuff said.

I was at the immigration office in Bangkok last week and while I was sitting and waiting I saw a hand written sign by the window that usually handles tourist visa extensions. It read, "Only 7 day extensions for all visas".

So this may mean that they may be changing the policy or enforcing a policy that was previously unenforced.

Hmmm...interesting, this post is now starting to sound like that old Flanagan and Allen song - "There's a hole in my bucket"! :D

FWIW, I just called the Government Contact Center (Tel: 1111) and someone there told me I could apply for a "15-day extension" with my tourist visa. When I explained that I'd received a 30-days extension with my first tourist visa, the lady exclaimed "Ah, you get 30-days with your first visa only". I didn't want to cloud the issue by telling her I'd also received 30-day extensions for each entry of a multiple tourist visa issued in Kuala Lumpur last November - so I just politely thanked her and hung-up. :o:D

After all, you're hardly a tourist if you live here.

So what are you? Tourists have to live as well.

But tourists (by definition) are people visiting somewhere for a holiday. I live and work in Thailand, with a non-immigrant B visa and a work permit. It seems quite straightforward to me - tourist visas are for tourists.

I live and work in Thailand, with a non-immigrant B visa and a work permit. It seems quite straightforward to me - tourist visas are for tourists.
Good for you, I'm pleased to read it, but what if you are American or European under 50 years of age and don't work, don't have any Thai dependants, don't want to study anything, don't want to invest ฿10 million, just want to stay in LOS, respect the law, respect the culture and live a quiet existence? What kind of visa should one get so as to respect Thai immigration law?

Did someone say "tourist visa"? :o

So your home country will allow a Thai national to live there on tourist visa just because they want to? I know for a fact the US would not. If your country starts allowing it I suspect Thailand will do the same - just as was the case with New Zealand and is the case with several other countries. Sometimes you have to give a little to get a little. Perhaps we should be talking with our home country?

So your home country will allow a Thai national to live there on tourist visa just because they want to? I know for a fact the US would not. If your country starts allowing it I suspect Thailand will do the same - just as was the case with New Zealand and is the case with several other countries. Sometimes you have to give a little to get a little. Perhaps we should be talking with our home country?
Respectfully...that would depend on the individual's circumstances, so it's far from being a definite "NO". As for "give a little to get a little"; getting citizenship in the US and EU is a lot, LOT easier than it seems to be here - I know because I have several Thai acquaintances who are in varying stages of applying; some with Green Cards and some now dual-nationals. Plus, it's also possible for Thais to own land in their own name abroad without any apparent fiasco.

My apologies then lopburi3 for going slightly off-topic but I'm afraid that by talking with my home country about how we're treated here - that might just be the thin-end of the wedge the authorities are looking for to wind back certain benefits Thais receive abroad, which conversely we would never be entitled to here.