Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Thailand or Vietnam: Retirement choices

Featured Replies

Guys who are considering moving to "Live" in Vietnam on border runs might want to check out this guy's YT chanel....https://www.youtube.com/@duongglobalbusinessconsulting/videos

His latest short on Vietnam Visa runs...

I like Vietnam (am off to HCM for 3 weeks in November & might do a couple of weeks in PQ) but I couldn't live somewhere on the basis of doing border bounces every 45 days, at least in Thailand I get 12 months.

  • Replies 634
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • ikke1959
    ikke1959

    And don't forget that Vietnam is more welcoming foreigners than here in Thailand at the moment. There is more freedom to live in Vietnam than in Thailand, where everything is controlled. Retirement is

  • khunjeff
    khunjeff

    Vietnam does not have a retirement visa - end of story. If you need to get a job or marry a Vietnamese just to be able to stay in the country long term, that's just not a viable option for people who

  • KhunHeineken
    KhunHeineken

    What makes you think they can not / will not announce a new retirement visa class in the future? This is true, but at least Vietnam doesn't try to pass itself off as a democracy when it's not, like

Posted Images

9 hours ago, SamSpade said:

Guys who are considering moving to "Live" in Vietnam on border runs might want to check out this guy's YT chanel....https://www.youtube.com/@duongglobalbusinessconsulting/videos

His latest short on Vietnam Visa runs...

I like Vietnam (am off to HCM for 3 weeks in November & might do a couple of weeks in PQ) but I couldn't live somewhere on the basis of doing border bounces every 45 days, at least in Thailand I get 12 months.

I watched some of his videos. In theory, what he says is correct, but in reality, maybe it's not what's happening on the ground. I think some of what he says has the underlying theme of pushing some customers towards his business.

In any case, some form of long stay visa is on its way for Vietnam. It will be interesting to see what they offer.

Are you really going to do 3 weeks in HCMC? It's like Bangkok.

Last time I was in HCMC, there was a great craft beer scene there. Some nice places, with great beers.

5 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Are you really going to do 3 weeks in HCMC? It's like Bangkok.

Last time I was in HCMC, there was a great craft beer scene there. Some nice places, with great beers.

TBH I'm on a last minute "Tax Exile" trip & it's my own fault as I got 86 days outside of Thailand in before mid-May but then got lazy & am now having to do 104 days (I'm targetting 175 days in Thailand) before end of November (I don't want to be travelling in December)

Malaysia gives me 90 days stay so I'm staying 88 days in Penang & the only place I can fly to direct from here is HCMC so I figured I'd do the final 16 days there.

Been HCM 3-4 times many years back when I was working in Singapore & quite like the place but am already thinking 4-5 days there then head over to Phu Quoc, come back to Bangkok from there.

Plus I lived in Bangkok (On Nut) for 4 years, still miss the place so take that as a complement :)

7 hours ago, SamSpade said:

TBH I'm on a last minute "Tax Exile" trip & it's my own fault as I got 86 days outside of Thailand in before mid-May but then got lazy & am now having to do 104 days (I'm targetting 175 days in Thailand) before end of November (I don't want to be travelling in December)

Malaysia gives me 90 days stay so I'm staying 88 days in Penang & the only place I can fly to direct from here is HCMC so I figured I'd do the final 16 days there.

Been HCM 3-4 times many years back when I was working in Singapore & quite like the place but am already thinking 4-5 days there then head over to Phu Quoc, come back to Bangkok from there.

Plus I lived in Bangkok (On Nut) for 4 years, still miss the place so take that as a complement :)

When is the last time you were in HCMC, or Phu Quoc, for that matter?

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

When is the last time you were in HCMC, or Phu Quoc, for that matter?

Must be 12 years since I've been to Vietnam & that was to Hanoi / Da Nang so maybe 14 years since I've been to HCMC, never been to Phu Quoc, is it any good?

4 hours ago, SamSpade said:

Must be 12 years since I've been to Vietnam & that was to Hanoi / Da Nang so maybe 14 years since I've been to HCMC, never been to Phu Quoc, is it any good?

I think you will be in for a shock. Vietnam is developing fast. It will be completely different to 12 years ago.

I've posted it before. World Record breaking cable car. Definitely check it out.

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I think you will be in for a shock. Vietnam is developing fast. It will be completely different to 12 years ago.

I've posted it before. World Record breaking cable car. Definitely check it out.

You seem enamoured with Vietnam. So when are you making the move from Thailand to live in your condo block in Danang?

28 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You seem enamoured with Vietnam. So when are you making the move from Thailand to live in your condo block in Danang?

I guess he'll have to visit to ride that cable car. There's no way, one could leave a city very long, that has the "Worlds Largest 7-11"

Nobody is going anywhere, as this meme states it perfectly ...

image.png

Edited by KhunLA

On 9/3/2026 at 6:57 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

You seem enamoured with Vietnam. So when are you making the move from Thailand to live in your condo block in Danang?

There's only on place in the world like Pattaya, and that's Pattaya. I love it here. I have a great lifestyle. I'll ride the wave all the way to the end.

Would I become a puppet of the Thai government, or a Thai women, just to stay in Pattaya / Thailand, not a chance.

Vietnam is a great Plan B. I have no problem debating it.

With a long stay visa deal imminent, Vietnam may very well be the first choice of many in the future, with Thailand being their Plan B.

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

With a long stay visa deal imminent, Vietnam may very well be the first choice of many in the future, with Thailand being their Plan B.

OK we have been given the KH perspective. Here is a non-KH perspective as of 20 August 2026:

Retiring in Vietnam in 2026: the honest version

There is no retirement visa

Let's clear the head question first, because half the pages on this topic bury it.

As of 2026, Vietnam does not offer a retirement visa. Thailand does. The Philippines does. Malaysia and Indonesia do. Vietnam does not, and nothing in the current legislative pipeline changes that in the near term.

A golden visa (their bold) valid for five to ten years has been under government review for a while — proposed by the Tourism Advisory Board for people making economic, scientific or cultural contributions. It has been reviewed, discussed and reported on for several years running. It has not launched. Do not build a plan around it.

https://vietnamspot.ru/en/blog/vietnam-retire-pension

8 hours ago, JerryM said:

OK we have been given the KH perspective. Here is a non-KH perspective as of 20 August 2026:

I have said it before, yes, I know Vietnam does not have a retirement visa. That's not to say they will never have one, and I have posted media articles about the Vietnam government considering it.

Why is it so difficult for you to image Vietnam announcing a retirement visa in the future?

1 minute ago, KhunHeineken said:

I have said it before, yes, I know Vietnam does not have a retirement visa. That's not to say they will never have one, and I have posted media articles about the Vietnam government considering it.

Why is it so difficult for you to image Vietnam announcing a retirement visa in the future?

Doesn't affect me one way or another. These seem to be credible people who have a different opinion as to what is imminent.

Edited by JerryM

1 minute ago, JerryM said:

Doesn't affect me one way or another. These seem top be crediblle people who have a different opinion as to what is immminent.

It doesn't effect me, either. Happy to be in Pattaya. It's only a matter of time before they announce their long stay visa. It will be interesting to see what deal they offer. Depending on the deal, it could have some impact on Thailand.

Thailand still generally wins for the present... but that might not be the case in a few years, as Thailand is heading in the wrong direction and Vietnam is slowy heading in the opposite to Thailand's authoritarian nonsense... we'll see.

22 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Why is it so difficult for you to image Vietnam announcing a retirement visa in the future?

That statement applies to every country that does not already provide one!

Until a country does announce such a new visa it remains just a pipedream or wishful thinking! It CANNOT be used for serious retirement planing until it actually happens!

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

That statement applies to every country that does not already provide one!

Until a country does announce such a new visa it remains just a pipedream or wishful thinking! It CANNOT be used for serious retirement planing until it actually happens!

No one suggested a media article saying the Vietnam government is considering a long stay visa should be relied upon for retirement planning.

I wouldn't call it a pipe dream. Vietnam is going head to head with Thailand in the tourism industry, and winning. Similar with manufacturing and other sectors.

Some people who have just retired, or will soon retire, may just hold off buying that condo in Thailand to wait and see what Vietnam offers by way of long stay visa.

Some may actually prefer Vietnam over Thailand, if not for the visa issue.

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

No one suggested a media article saying the Vietnam government is considering a long stay visa should be relied upon for retirement planning.

I wouldn't call it a pipe dream. Vietnam is going head to head with Thailand in the tourism industry, and winning. Similar with manufacturing and other sectors.

Some people who have just retired, or will soon retire, may just hold off buying that condo in Thailand to wait and see what Vietnam offers by way of long stay visa.

Some may actually prefer Vietnam over Thailand, if not for the visa issue.

No question about it.

If I were retiring today, it would be in Vietnam with a Viet wife.

Not Thailand with a Thai wife.

I can't think of any advantage that Thailand has over Vietnam, for a retired single guy that's not averse to having a new family with a much younger woman.

14 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I have said it before, yes, I know Vietnam does not have a retirement visa. That's not to say they will never have one, and I have posted media articles about the Vietnam government considering it.

Why is it so difficult for you to image Vietnam announcing a retirement visa in the future?

How efficiently do they do things there? They have to plan it, get the details sorted and have it approved by an authoritarian government. Then comes implementation. Five years minimum?

14 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Why is it so difficult for you to image Vietnam announcing a retirement visa in the future?

Not any harder to imagine Musk getting FSD to work correctly in the next 2 weeks. Just takes the proper dose of hallucinogens. 💯

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If I were retiring today, it would be in Vietnam with a Viet wife.

Not Thailand with a Thai wife

Why? What's your reasons? Burnt by a Thai lass?

5 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Why? What's your reasons? Burnt by a Thai lass?

Viet women are slimmer, prettier and more reasonably priced than Thai women these days.

And the country is far more interesting, and the Viet beaches don't have the bitey sand flies that are everywhere in Thailand.

No requirement to keep money sitting in Viet banks either.

Edited by BritManToo

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Viet women are slimmer, prettier and more reasonably priced than Thai women these days.

And the country is far more interesting, and the Viet beaches don't have the bitey sand flies that are everywhere in Thailand.

No requirement to keep money sitting in Viet banks either.

Interesting.

Having spent several years working in a southern Vietnam province and spending lots of time in HCMC, definitely can't agree that "Vietwomen are slimmer, prettier", but each to their own.

Wouldn't know about pricing women.

Not quite sure how you opine that one country is more interesting than the other. I reckon both are interesting.

The only Viet beaches I visited were in a southern province. Beaches were 5 minutes away. Not at all nice. Lots of rubbish on the beach - always.

No requirement to deposit funds for extensions like Thailand, but the thought of having to leave Vietnam every 90 days and apply for a new extension outside Vietnam is not appealing.

Weather is crap in north Vietnam. Typhoons in coastal Vietnam are common and are not pleasant. I found coastal Vietnam to be Extremely windy.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

How efficiently do they do things there? They have to plan it, get the details sorted and have it approved by an authoritarian government. Then comes implementation. Five years minimum?

Fair question.

As in most countries in South East Asia, I find things happen very slowly, or very quickly, and there's no formula to know which change will take what time.

It could be years away, or they soon announce this visa class starts on the 1/1/27.

Who knows? I just keep an open mind.

On 9/9/2026 at 3:19 AM, BritManToo said:

Viet women are slimmer, prettier and more reasonably priced than Thai women these days.

And the country is far more interesting, and the Viet beaches don't have the bitey sand flies that are everywhere in Thailand.

No requirement to keep money sitting in Viet banks either.

I agree, and I also find the white skin that many Thai women aspire to is more prevalent in Vietnam.

  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Another world record on the way for Vietnam.

135,000 people stadium due to open next year.

https://news.tuoitre.vn/vingroup-names-135000-seat-hanoi-stadium-after-ev-brand-vinfast-103260731121738112.htm

Dude, I thought you left already, no?

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Dude, I thought you left already, no?

No. Still happy in Pattaya. Vietnam is my Plan B. I keep an eye on how things are going there. I'll be interested in what retirement visa deal they offer.

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Vietnam is so much better ... WIN WIN for Thailand ... 🤣

image.png

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/first-direct-flight-from-russia-brings-more-than-370-tourists-to-phu-quoc-post352677.vnp

Ahhh, speaking of Phu Quoc, which is Vietnam's Phuket.

Definitely a win for the island hosting APEC next year. A lot of construction taking place.

Once again, they are building it bigger and better in Vietnam. No wonder Vietnam's tourism is up 15%. 🙂

https://news.tuoitre.vn/vietnams-phu-quoc-races-to-complete-apec-2027-infrastructure-103260926215050745.htm

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Vietnam is so much better ... WIN WIN for Thailand ... 🤣

image.png

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/first-direct-flight-from-russia-brings-more-than-370-tourists-to-phu-quoc-post352677.vnp

Just cancelled my lads planned school holiday break on Phu Quoc. The boys will just have to like Hua Hin (again) or lump it

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 1

  • Georgealbert

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.