Witch Shots I Need For Thailand

dennis13

you'll only need witch shots if you plan to be here at halloween.

Will that apply if her name is Hazel? :o

For the original poster Witch = female wizard

Which Not witch, the joy of English :D

Regards

:D

Edited by IvanLaw

ok i will answer your seriously.

1) Hep A & Hep B

2) Measles/Mumps/Rubella(MMR)

3) Tetanus

4) Typhoid

5) Polio (adult booster shot)

6) Chicken Pox

This site can help you also. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationThailand.aspx

but they will be conservative and recommend things you dont really need. example: japanese encephalitis, rabies, etc.

hi im planning to move to thailand soon im from belgium

and i wonder what shots i need for thailand i already have hepatitus a and b

but im not sure or this is all i need

dose someone know more about this

thanks

Hi,

I'm an RN of 30 years experience and flying to SE Asia in October for a two year + stay. The shots you need vary according to your health history, basic health status and your travel plans which affects your exposures.

Shots hurt and cost money :o but think of them as insurance costs. May never need insurance, but nice to have when you do. Hey I dish out shots all the time and I HATE getting them too.

My shots: I'm 59 years old in good health and plan on travel to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia for an extended stay in each....so:

Hep A & B (Hep A is from contaminated food and drink and think Hep B = blood)

diptheria/tetanus (this one needed every where)

Japanese Encephalitus (this is possible in a number of areas, not common, but a lousy disease you can avoid)

Rabies (this may be over reaction, but I plan on a few jungle excursions and birding trips where exposure to animals is likely...if you stay in cities skip this one)

And that's it. Now if one has particular needs like you have chronic diseases of the lung , heart, or suppression of your resistence because of taking medicines like prednisone then one should consider with their doctor a gamma globulin shot as a boost to your resistence.

BTW I'm getting the Jap encephalitus, and rabies in Thailand because the cost is much more reasonable, but Hep AB should be started before travel.

cheers,

Jim

I go with the None, Never scenario also.

Been through jungles and beaches, cuts and scrapes, insect bites and thai girls.

Never died yet.

Depends how good your immune system is though.

If you are of the younger generation, growing up in europe is hard on your immune system as most kids brought up in the 80's and 90's are so filled up with pills and medicine for everything that their immune system doesn't stand a chance to get strong.

If that is the case, take every shot you can find.

Hep A and B (altho it sounds like OP already had these).

Rabies...an absolute must IMO. A lot of stray dogs everywhere and a lot of rabies, and if bitten and not immunized you will have to undergo a series of shots that are not only painful and expensive but also carry some risks.

Japanese B encephalitis highly advisable esp if you will in rural areas (the resevoir is the pig, so anyplace with pigs is a potential risk). I have known expats who got Japanese B here and it is a very serious disease which can cause death or permanent brain damage. It also very prevalent in Cambodia.

Personally wouldn't bother with typhoid. The vaccine is not very effective, and there is not much typhoid in Thailand. (There is a lot, however, in Cambodia especially the cities, but as I said...vaccine not very effective. I had both the vaccine and the disease while living in Phnom Penh.)

Hep A and B (altho it sounds like OP already had these).

Rabies...an absolute must IMO. A lot of stray dogs everywhere and a lot of rabies, and if bitten and not immunized you will have to undergo a series of shots that are not only painful and expensive but also carry some risks.

Japanese B encephalitis highly advisable esp if you will in rural areas (the resevoir is the pig, so anyplace with pigs is a potential risk). I have known expats who got Japanese B here and it is a very serious disease which can cause death or permanent brain damage. It also very prevalent in Cambodia.

Personally wouldn't bother with typhoid. The vaccine is not very effective, and there is not much typhoid in Thailand. (There is a lot, however, in Cambodia especially the cities, but as I said...vaccine not very effective. I had both the vaccine and the disease while living in Phnom Penh.)

Is the oral Typhoid a little bit better?

A senior Dr working in the vaccine field told me the typhoid vacine was not that effective when we we on a charity build the other week.

He also mentioned the JE as not that effective too.

Travelling in the tropics without Hep A/B vaccination is an unnecessary risk. Two shots and you're covered for life.

I thought it was 3 shots: 1 for the A, and 2 for the B? But I had A as a kid and got the 2 B's when I first started traveling abroad (maybe its combined now). Why anyone would not get these is a mystery to me - same with a tet shot and booster every 10 years, I'm do again in 4 years, already in Outlook. The rest are more judgement based on risk. If I was staying in BKK or a major resort area, I would pass. But then again, I have all my reco shots as I travel a lot - an ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure.

Edited by Furbie

Travelling in the tropics without Hep A/B vaccination is an unnecessary risk. Two shots and you're covered for life.

I thought it was 3 shots: 1 for the A, and 2 for the B? But I had A as a kid and got the 2 B's when I first started traveling abroad (maybe its combined now). Why anyone would not get these is a mystery to me - same with a tet shot and booster every 10 years, I'm do again in 4 years, already in Outlook. The rest are more judgement based on risk. If I was staying in BKK or a major resort area, I would pass. But then again, I have all my reco shots as I travel a lot - an ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure.

There is one combined Hep A and B called Twinrix - three shots at O, 1 and 6 months although this can be accelerated if required and a booster given if required after around 12 months.

Same for the single Hep B o, 1 and 6

Hep A is 2 shots 0 then after 6-12 months

A senior Dr working in the vaccine field told me the typhoid vacine was not that effective when we we on a charity build the other week.

The oral vaccine is a bitbetter but still notvery good.

Surprised by the comment on tyhe JE vaccine, tho, to my knowledge it is pretty effective. Will of course protect only against JE and not other forms of encephalitis.

The oral vaccine is a bitbetter but still notvery good.

Surprised by the comment on tyhe JE vaccine, tho, to my knowledge it is pretty effective. Will of course protect only against JE and not other forms of encephalitis.

Its the first time I heard it about JE too - I will ask him about more details but he is a very senior epidemologist in vaccines for this region.