Becoming More Like Tutsi Every Month...

cathyy

So my husband and I have embarked on a program of making a good garlic dill pickle using only local ingredients. Our second batch of pickles was close to what we want, the third batch we tried some brown rice vinegar and it wasn't the improvement we hoped for. The fourth batch is waiting for the time to be tasted, but we expect it needs more salt. We shall judge whether the peppercorns and bay leaf seem to add anything when the pickles are ready early next week. I'll post the (simple) recipe when we get it perfected. Shouldn't be too many more batches.

I've planted basil, dill, chili peppers, and holy basil by my fence. The cilantro all died. I am trying to figure out how to grow myself a rosemary bush or two. Chicken roasted in a crokpot with fresh rosemary....yum. Where can I get seeds? Fresh herbs are the best, always have been

I bought some mangoes and I'll be making a mango cobbler in a day or two. If that works I may be canning ripe mango to use out of season in cobbler and pie. We have a small mango tree (3 years old now?) that produces more fruit every year. I want to be ready when it starts producing more than we can just eat.

So my husband and I have embarked on a program of making a good garlic dill pickle using only local ingredients. Our second batch of pickles was close to what we want, the third batch we tried some brown rice vinegar and it wasn't the improvement we hoped for. The fourth batch is waiting for the time to be tasted, but we expect it needs more salt. We shall judge whether the peppercorns and bay leaf seem to add anything when the pickles are ready early next week. I'll post the (simple) recipe when we get it perfected. Shouldn't be too many more batches.

I've planted basil, dill, chili peppers, and holy basil by my fence. The cilantro all died. I am trying to figure out how to grow myself a rosemary bush or two. Chicken roasted in a crokpot with fresh rosemary....yum. Where can I get seeds? Fresh herbs are the best, always have been

I bought some mangoes and I'll be making a mango cobbler in a day or two. If that works I may be canning ripe mango to use out of season in cobbler and pie. We have a small mango tree (3 years old now?) that produces more fruit every year. I want to be ready when it starts producing more than we can just eat.

my darling...the spices you describe that wilt by the garden fence are fresh, available and cheap down the local market...no need to spend precious effort in their cultivation...as a 57 y.o. diabetic and alcoholic I advise spending yer time otherwise...life is short...

the wife gets mangoes when in season...quite nice as tutsi reclines and has his beautiful, brown and long limbed nieces peel and feed the slices into his appreciating and open gob...don't wait fer yer trees to bear good fruit; just go down the market...most of the time they have the real goods...(only twice per year, as I remember...)

in Thailand we got everything we need to suit our degenerate falang tastes...all that is needed is imagination and the will to succeed...

btw...I succeeded in making good pickles using fresh cukes from the market and using a basic brine using vinegar and herbs available locally...also have done sum pickled eggs and pickled cauli; I got two big pickling jars from tescos...the thais use them for other, unsavory purposes...

miz Jet...that babe knows what ah's talking about...

Edited by tutsiwarrior