Year Extension When Married To A Thai National

Hi you all, maybe someone can point me in the correct direction & web link.

My caption says it all. I've just had a careful look through the NEW Phuket immigration web site and can't see to find any useful information on the financial requirents for a one year extension based on a Farang married to a Thai national.

I've been living here full time in Thailand for the past 8 years on one year extensions and my TM arrival card is 8+ years old. Back then we only needed to show 200,000 baht in the bank. Then it became 400,000 baht. Now I'm told by Phuket Immigration it's 800,000 baht in bank for at least 3 months prior to extension application. Is this true ? Various TV member give conflicting advice.

As it happens, last year I could not meet the 800,000 baht for 3 months and to prevent getting chucked out of Thailand opted for the 45,000 baht/month joint income 'rule'. Again confusing advise as some members say 40,000 baht/month ??

Now, we can provide all the documentation for the 45,000 baht joint income as I have a WP and salary and my wife has her own income, but it's a lot of copies of every document the immigration office can think off. That's why we prefer the 'money-in-the-bank' application.

Can anyone point me to a website link that gives easy to read and concise information on my question.

Thanks in advance.

The monthly income is 40,00 Baht a month.

There is no money in the bank option unless you are over the age of 50 then it is 800,000 Baht based on retirement which means you will not be able to work.

What happens if the applicante is under 50, married to a Thai national, neither has any income but have over 800,000baht in the bank?

That will not qualify for a year extension.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That will not qualify for a year extension.

Why.... please qualify that statement. Thanks.

The requirement is 40,000 Baht a month income, not money in the bank.

Money in the bank will get you a multi non imm o visa from Singapore or Penang.

Unles I am missing something here. It is a bit early , maybe my brain is still asleep.

Just out of interest, can a statement showing over eq of 40k be deemed to suffice as an income,

other than a non "o" visa seems the only real choice even if you are married or not, also gives the chance to see relatives back in your home country, i appricate that leving the country may not be everones cup of tea, but the thai authorites seem to have individual rules for each day/month/year, and you would not need to keep silly amounts in the bank earning worthless interest, i am adopting the non "o" route purely for ease as the hassle is ridiculous just to be able to stay

watch this space for another set of rule changes after 1st jan 2008,when a new set of leaders take "over"

I'm due for renewal of my non O on Nov 16th. I had the 400+ in the bank ready, but had to

clear most of the account a month ago to purchase a property. I'm hoping I'll have it back upto

400k in the next week or so.

My question is how strict are they with the 3 month prior rule. The account has had the 400+ all

year apart from these 5-6 weeks. If I was to expalin the situation and show proof of purchase, do you

think the renewal would still be accepted?

I don't want to lose the grandfather option, although some people have said its being fazed out, this

is still the better option for me.

Many Thanks

Up until now do not believe they have been strict because many people were not aware of the new rules. But your window of application will be after the 1st year under the new regulations so nobody knows what the situation will be.

Were you told about the new rules when you did your extension last year? If not you might plead that (if they enforce it) and hope they realize you were not informed. Am not sure how much leeway they will have however.

Up until now do not believe they have been strict because many people were not aware of the new rules. But your window of application will be after the 1st year under the new regulations so nobody knows what the situation will be.

Were you told about the new rules when you did your extension last year? If not you might plead that (if they enforce it) and hope they realize you were not informed. Am not sure how much leeway they will have however.

No I was not informed of any new rules last year. We just submitted all the paperwork and the fee, and we were

out again in 1/2 hour.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your reply.

• 1 month later...

As I've mentioned a 'bullshit' experience I had with Immigration in this thread, I thought I better tell you about a good experience I've just had.

with 1 week left on my non imm 'o' visa , I thought I would check with another immigration office about the rules as I was passing. I had no thoughts of actually being able to extend at this time.

I Visited Mae sai immigration and was told that I had indeed been given the wrong info and that I could still extend if I could get a 'proof of income' letter.

Dropped everything and bolted down to Chiang mai to visit the British Consulate without much hope of success as I had only been able to print a bank statement of the internet showing a rental income and dividend info. Much to my delight They accepted the info and I was given the said document by an absolutely stunning girl in exchange for 2400 baht.

back to mae sai with 2 days left on my visa. arrived at 09:00. Everyone in the office was very professional, friendly and polite, not like my previous experience. 5 documents from the wife, house papers, marriage certificate and childrens birth certificate etc.. and the all important letter from consulate showing an annual income in pounds. He asked the wife how much that was in Thai baht a month and proceeded to type up my application.

He asked a few normal questions whilst he typed the application. and after 30 mins we left with a stamp in my passport saying my application was being considered. and I was to report a month later. I get the impression that thats the normal process and I should get the extention.

There were no rude remarks to my wife, no interogation, and definately no bullshit. No Photo's of us taking a dump together either.

All in all a very pleasant experience.

It definately looks like its hit and miss depending which office you apply at. Maybe its a Franchise ;-)

If only they could all sing from the same hymn book, Amazing Thailand ;-)