Year Extension When Married To A Thai National

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extensions of stay from Immigration and visas from Consulates are not the same requirements. Most Consulates do not require 400k in a bank account to issue a multi entry non immigrant visa and immigration will not provide a non grandfathered extension of stay even if you have 400k in a bank account.

Extension of stay requires 40k per month family income for new applicants.

any idea what paper work is required if your mrs is the one earning 40K per month ?

Evidence of income, in the form of tax receipts. Generally, immigration accepts the last three months’ receipts as sufficient but there have been a couple of reports about 12 months’ receipts having been requested.

--

Maestro

any idea what paper work is required if your mrs is the one earning 40K per month ?

Evidence of income, in the form of tax receipts. Generally, immigration accepts the last three months’ receipts as sufficient but there have been a couple of reports about 12 months’ receipts having been requested.

--

Maestro

Tax receipts ?? And when you have income from overseas in a tax heaven ? There you get no tax receipts.

That's an interesting question. Does not apply in my case as I have Thai income, but mention has been made about this earlier in this topic and in other similar topics. It's clear to me that a pension of some sort can be certified by your country's embassy in Bangkok (for the purposes of the one year EXTENSION), but it's much less clear to me about private income earned outside Thailand. Some members claim that private income is acceptable (I have no idea), but whether your embassy will certify this income is an open question.

If the income is earned in Thailand either by the Thai spouse or the foreigner or both combined, the tax papers required are:

Last three months of form ภ.ง.ด. 1 with receipts (have to be provided to you by the company you are working for) AND the latest personal income tax filing ภ.ง.ด. 90 or 91 with receipt.

This was the requirement in the past when I used the income route.

opalhort

If the income is earned in Thailand either by the Thai spouse or the foreigner or both combined, the tax papers required are:

Last three months of form ภ.ง.ด. 1 with receipts (have to be provided to you by the company you are working for) AND the latest personal income tax filing ภ.ง.ด. 90 or 91 with receipt.

This was the requirement in the past when I used the income route.

opalhort

Yes, I completely agree with that. That's the way I read the rules. Unfortunately that's will NOT be Phuket Immigration's interpretation of the rules. If you read the last paragraph of the offical web site requirements it says something like 'and any other documents the office deems necessary'.... :o

Not sure how it is now with the income route, but if the foreigner is the sole or part income earner they may also need the company papers (ภ.ง.ด. 50, balance sheet, Co registration etc.).

It could also be that the reason for this requirement in our case in the past was because we are employees of our own company.

opalhort

Its looking like this in any case will be scraped and everyone will have to produce the 40k/month with letter from Embassy - that was what I was told last month in Phuket. Upside is no need to tie up dead money in the bank here - downside is pain in the b*tt extra paper chase!

Wow, seems a friend living near by will be in trouble then.

He's 43 years young, sold his business, married a Thai lady and built a house.

He used the 400k rule until now.

He keeps his money abroad, very wise decision....once you transfer millions here can you you take them with you???, that's a good question...

His embassy tells him they can not issue a statement concerning his foreign investment and possible income derived from that investment....

So although he has many millions he will have problems showing 40k/month income....

More and more farangs living here in trouble.....

Interesting, I will be in the same boat....., Once sold the Business in the UK moving to Thailand with Thai wife and the one Daughter, i have been told if you are married to a Thai with a thai/ferrang child, you do not need the 40,000 per month income, just money in the bank, i was told this last week whilst in Thailand, is it right, as hearing so many stories.

Its looking like this in any case will be scraped and everyone will have to produce the 40k/month with letter from Embassy - that was what I was told last month in Phuket. Upside is no need to tie up dead money in the bank here - downside is pain in the b*tt extra paper chase!

Wow, seems a friend living near by will be in trouble then.

He's 43 years young, sold his business, married a Thai lady and built a house.

He used the 400k rule until now.

He keeps his money abroad, very wise decision....once you transfer millions here can you you take them with you???, that's a good question...

His embassy tells him they can not issue a statement concerning his foreign investment and possible income derived from that investment....

So although he has many millions he will have problems showing 40k/month income....

More and more farangs living here in trouble.....

Interesting, I will be in the same boat....., Once sold the Business in the UK moving to Thailand with Thai wife and the one Daughter, i have been told if you are married to a Thai with a thai/ferrang child, you do not need the 40,000 per month income, just money in the bank, i was told this last week whilst in Thailand, is it right, as hearing so many stories.

No its not right, this has changed recently and is now (for new applicants) 40k baht per month verifiable income.

I don't have any idea what kind of rule that person was thinking of. The requirement is 40k family income.

Now if you are age 50 or older you can use retirement and 800k in bank account.

If child enters as a foreign national student and you enter to accompany her there is an option of 500k in bank account.

If you are over age 50 there is also an option to live with child that does not require funds.

I don't have any idea what kind of rule that person was thinking of. The requirement is 40k family income.

If child enters as a foreign national student and you enter to accompany her there is an option of 500k in bank account.

If you are over age 50 there is also an option to live with child that does not require funds.

Would that child have to be a Thai national ??

I am assuming yes but just checking.

I am 43, had over 1 million baht in a SCB account for about 12 years, If over 50 ok,

My Daughter is Thai / Ferrang, with uk and thai passport, so she will be entitled to stay in Thailand.

I have the problem, under 50, so got to show the 40k per month.

this is correct.........? thanks guys

The law is for foreign parent to stay with there Thai child in old age so yes the child would have to be Thai for that provision.

You will need the 40k family income (can be wife - get her to work fast), or student but that would require expensive schools/child living as farang.

Without extensions you can always obtain multi entry non immigrant O visas and make a border run every 90 days.

Another option is to learn Thai and education extensions (ED visa). That seems to be in 90 day blocks now but would not require exit of country every 90 days.

If you read the last paragraph of the offical web site requirements it says something like 'and any other documents the office deems necessary'

If with official website you mean the website of the Immigration Bureau it depends where you click on that site. Some part of it is out of date, ie has not yet been updated since Police Order 606/2549 took effect on October 1, 2006.

Out of date: the information that gets displayed when you click on

– Required documents

– Visa Extensions

– to support a wife who is Thai citizen or who is a permanent resident (non-Thai husband)

Up-to-date: The information that gets displayed when you click on

– Acts

– 1 Order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters No. 606/2549 Re: Rules and Conditions in the Consideration of Alien Applications for Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand

--

Maestro

Quote from Phuket immigration website

http://www.phuketimmigration.go.th/en/

1. Immigration Form 7

2. Copy of passport A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph

3. A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph

4. A 1,900 baht application fee

5. Marriage Certificate

6. Birth Certificate (if any)

7. Financial evidence showing financial status of the husband

1. Bank account pass-book, personal bank statement of the account owner.

2. Evidence indicating income along with related documents. If receiving pension, a document of pension payment certified by the embassy or consulate of the country that pays pension is needed.

3. In case of working in Thailand, Work permit and evidence of tax payment are required.

8. Documents indicating Thai nationality or permanent residence of the wife such as identification card (ID), census registration address / residence identification, or passport (in case that the wife is a permanent resident)

9. A record of interviewing the applicant and his wife.

10. Applicant must accompany his wife to the Immigration Bureau office to certify of all the documents. The couple will be able to confirm that they are still husband and wife.

11. Evidence certified by the applicant's embassy or consulate showing the applicant's marital status.

12. The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents from the applicant if necessary.

Note point 12..... :o

You'll note no actual financial number are stated, hence my earlier question about money-in-bank and/or income...

Edited by LivinginKata

Those are the old rules (note the "Financial evidence showing financial status of the husband "). It is no longer a support Thai wife extension of stay. All information appears to be dated - they even list the 3 million baht deposit as being possible.

The current information is in Police Order 606/2006 and you can download Sunbelt translation from pinned item useful information at top of forum. Immigration seems to have removed there copy (dead link).

Wife of Thai nationality:

1. TM. 7

2. Passport copy

3. Passport picture (4x6 cm)

4. Application fee 1,900.- Baht

5. Marriage certificate

6. House register and identification card of wife

7. Birth certificate of children (if any)

8. Interview record of applicant and wife

9. Applicant must accompany his wife to the Immigration Bureau office to certify of all the documents. The couple will be able to confirm that they are still husband and wife.

10. Financial documentation:

- Bank statement and copy of bank account showing at least 400,000.- Baht deposit

- Employment evidence, work permit, and tax documentation showing an income of at least 40,000.- Baht.

It concerns me that Phuket immigration are going to require 400K in the bank AND 40k/month income ! :o

And your source for the above, different, information is?

http://www.phuketimmigration.go.th/en/inde...2&Itemid=42

10. Financial documentation:

- Bank statement and copy of bank account showing at least 400,000.- Baht deposit

- Employment evidence, work permit, and tax documentation showing an income of at least 40,000.- Baht.

The little, but important word 'OR' is missing

Edited by geoffphuket

Well....does not matter what we banter here on TV, it's all about our annual pilgramage to the Immigration and the mood/interpretation of the officer on that particular day.

Myself, I adopt a positive & friendly manner, take insults/rudeness/all the crap dished out to me and my wife (more to her for daring to marry a Farang), have a very jai yin yin attitude, and hope for the best :o

But the information, as I mentioned, is out of date. That was published for "to support a wife who is Thai citizen or who is a permanent resident (non-Thai husband)" and that is not the type of extension you receive under order 606/2006.

Please read that for correct information. And the link to Immigration translation is working (my mistake) - my computer had an Adobe/Vista hiccup before.

Ohhhh .... well TV should unpin/scrap that topic & link on the Phuket Forum. :o

I have now added a caveat in the post that gives the link to the website of the Phuket immigration office and added a link to a pinned post with links to the currently valid rules.

--

Maestro

But the information, as I mentioned, is out of date. That was published for "to support a wife who is Thai citizen or who is a permanent resident (non-Thai husband)" and that is not the type of extension you receive under order 606/2006.

Please read that for correct information. And the link to Immigration translation is working (my mistake) - my computer had an Adobe/Vista hiccup before.

Well, my wife is Thai, she's a permanent resident....and I am supporting her. This clause on the Phuket immigration site, out-dated or not, would explain why, three weeks ago my second extension application showing 400k bank deposit wasn't adequate - they also asked to see 40k/month income. Obviously the officers in Phuket refer to their own website for guidance - and not Bangkok

Edited by geoffphuket

Well....does not matter what we banter here on TV, it's all about our annual pilgramage to the Immigration and the mood/interpretation of the officer on that particular day.

Myself, I adopt a positive & friendly manner, take insults/rudeness/all the crap dished out to me and my wife (more to her for daring to marry a Farang), have a very jai yin yin attitude, and hope for the best :D

Spot on :o

The monthly income is 40,00 Baht a month.

There is no money in the bank option unless you are over the age of 50 then it is 800,000 Baht based on retirement which means you will not be able to work.

I am progressing toward marriage to a Thai woman and residency. I am 65 and plan to retire July.2008. I am a professional in the healthcare field and could bring a beneficial service that no one locally is providing, although I could teach and mentor others to do so.

Given that, do you think I "will not be able to work?" Is there an arbitrary no-work-after-50 regulation? My bet is that in presenting the benefit of my gifts and my credentials--and support from my significant friend who is also a health professional--I will find a way.

I do understand and appreciate any country not wanting to be overrun by "farangs." In my home state of Montana, USA, the locals feel the same way. "Come for a visit....but please, don't stay!"

Given that, do you think I "will not be able to work?" Is there an arbitrary no-work-after-50 regulation? My bet is that in presenting the benefit of my gifts and my credentials--and support from my significant friend who is also a health professional--I will find a way.

No rule that I know about for WP if over 50. I'm well over 50 and have a WP.

Although I personnaly know a case of an elderly Italian gentleman who applied for a WP and was given the run about for many many months. Basically the labour office staff thought he was too old to work, and anyway he should have made enough in Italy by now !!! :o and should have good pension. My friend gave up in disgust.