Year Extension When Married To A Thai National

Hi you all, maybe someone can point me in the correct direction & web link.

My caption says it all. I've just had a careful look through the NEW Phuket immigration web site and can't see to find any useful information on the financial requirents for a one year extension based on a Farang married to a Thai national.

I've been living here full time in Thailand for the past 8 years on one year extensions and my TM arrival card is 8+ years old. Back then we only needed to show 200,000 baht in the bank. Then it became 400,000 baht. Now I'm told by Phuket Immigration it's 800,000 baht in bank for at least 3 months prior to extension application. Is this true ? Various TV member give conflicting advice.

As it happens, last year I could not meet the 800,000 baht for 3 months and to prevent getting chucked out of Thailand opted for the 45,000 baht/month joint income 'rule'. Again confusing advise as some members say 40,000 baht/month ??

Now, we can provide all the documentation for the 45,000 baht joint income as I have a WP and salary and my wife has her own income, but it's a lot of copies of every document the immigration office can think off. That's why we prefer the 'money-in-the-bank' application.

Can anyone point me to a website link that gives easy to read and concise information on my question.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My caption says it all. I've just had a careful look through the NEW Phuket immigration web site and can't see to find any useful information on the financial requirents for a one year extension based on a Farang married to a Thai national.

I've been living here full time in Thailand for the past 8 years on one year extensions and my TM arrival card is 8+ years old. Back then we only needed to show 200,000 baht in the bank. Then it became 400,000 baht. Now I'm told by Phuket Immigration it's 800,000 baht in bank for at least 3 months prior to extension application. Is this true ? Various TV member give conflicting advice.

As it happens, last year I could not meet the 800,000 baht for 3 months and to prevent getting chucked out of Thailand opted for the 45,000 baht/month joint income 'rule'. Again confusing advise as some members say 40,000 baht/month ??

Now, we can provide all the documentation for the 45,000 baht joint income as I have a WP and salary and my wife has her own income, but it's a lot of copies of every document the immigration office can think off. That's why we prefer the 'money-in-the-bank' application.

Can anyone point me to a website link that gives easy to read and concise information on my question.

Thanks in advance.

The monthly income is 40,00 Baht a month.

There is no money in the bank option unless you are over the age of 50 then it is 800,000 Baht based on retirement which means you will not be able to work.

Prior to october last year the money in the bank option was 400,000Baht but has now been scraped.

If the OP has had marriage based extensions prior to October 2006 he will be "grandfathered" in, i.e. needs Bt400K for three months prior to extension of visa.

Prior to october last year the money in the bank option was 400,000Baht but has now been scraped.

If the OP has had marriage based extensions prior to October 2006 he will be "grandfathered" in, i.e. needs Bt400K for three months prior to extension of visa.

That is what the rules say at present, but several immigration offices are saying

this will be abandoned as well.........

However this is not confirmed yet.

The requirement is 40k family income. The old requirement of 400k in bank account now requires that it has been there for 3 months prior to renewal and is not open to new applicants. The 800k in bank account is for those over age 50 on retirement (and you can not work on that option).

If you look in the pinned items at top of this visa forum you will find "useful immigration information" and if you look inside there are links to National Police Order 606/2006 what have the current rules.

WOW.. All those replies... thanks...

But none even come close to explain my position.

I ask again.... as a Farang married to a Thai (very long time) and wanting a one year extension (yet again), how much money do I need in a Thai bank, and how do I prove that to Thai immigration.

WOW.. All those replies... thanks...

But none even come close to explain my position.

I ask again.... as a Farang married to a Thai (very long time) and wanting a one year extension (yet again), how much money do I need in a Thai bank, and how do I prove that to Thai immigration.

40,000 Baht income. Prove by getting letter from embassy/.

40,000 Baht income. Prove by getting letter from embassy.

I was told the same thing when I was at the Chiang Mai Immigration today.

They said that they are not interested in the marrigae cert, no interested money in the bank and so on.

What they are interested is that produce evidence of your income per month.... minimum 40K per month.

Exactly as I said in the other thread its INCOME now not fixed amount in bank.. Tho if you have renewed for years based on money in the bank you should be able to be grandfathered under the old 400k rule.. If this still works into the future is anyones guess.

Have no idea how you got either the 45k number or the 800k number..

You broke the cycle last year and hence are not eligable to be grandfathered into the 400k in the bank.

Its looking like this in any case will be scraped and everyone will have to produce the 40k/month with letter from Embassy - that was what I was told last month in Phuket. Upside is no need to tie up dead money in the bank here - downside is pain in the b*tt extra paper chase!

Now I'm told by Phuket Immigration it's 800,000 baht in bank for at least 3 months prior to extension application.

When the bank account is a joint account, eg together with the wife, there have been cases under the old rule where the immigration office wanted to see 800k in the account, ie double the required 400k for the extension. Under the new rule, in effect since October 1, 2006, it is clearly stated “an account deposit in Thailand in the name of either party or both of not less than Baht 400,000”. Therefore, immigration can no longer ask for 800k in case of a joint account.

If your immigration office wants to play tough and if you have already shown them evidence of monthly family income of minimum 40k, they can refuse you an extension based on money in the bank by applying the rule 7.17(6) literally (pay attention to the highlighted “if”):

In the case of an alien married to a Thai woman, any party or both must have a total income of not less than Baht 40,000 per month, except for aliens who entered the Kingdom before this Order came into force and granted a permit to stay in the Kingdom. If the alien does not have the minimum income above, he shall have an account deposit in Thailand in the name of either party or both of not less than Baht 400,000. Proof of account deposit for the previous 3 months is required.

There have been a couple of members posting that they were forced into changing to an extension based on income because they had the required income. Whether there was a directive from immigration head office to the rural offices to switch applicants wherever possible I do not know, but this possibility cannot be excluded as it seems to be happening at more than one office.

--

Maestro

P.S. Before somebody comes and decries yet another change in the rules: this is not a change, just a literal application of an existing rule.

Thanks all. I'll just plan for the 'show income' route, with 2 copies of a horrendous amout of paperwork. Nothing to do with my embassy as I have no foreign income.

Last year I copied & collated everything at home. When I got to the immigration office the officer mixed it all up and could not find certain documents. I tried to find the 'missing' copy, but the officer got angry, asked my wife (in Thai) if I was drunk, and sternly sent me to the copy office. By the time I got back he had found the document and flung the new copies back at me. No apology, or even a smile. :o

Its looking like this in any case will be scraped and everyone will have to produce the 40k/month with letter from Embassy - that was what I was told last month in Phuket. Upside is no need to tie up dead money in the bank here - downside is pain in the b*tt extra paper chase!

Wow, seems a friend living near by will be in trouble then.

He's 43 years young, sold his business, married a Thai lady and built a house.

He used the 400k rule until now.

He keeps his money abroad, very wise decision....once you transfer millions here can you you take them with you???, that's a good question...

His embassy tells him they can not issue a statement concerning his foreign investment and possible income derived from that investment....

So although he has many millions he will have problems showing 40k/month income....

More and more farangs living here in trouble.....

The idea seems pretty clear to me. Since you cannot work in Thailand unless you are a professional in one of the non-resticted occupations, and you are not on some sort of diability pension from your home country, how could you "show" 40,000 baht per month income into your Thai account? Where would you get it from? A monthly wire transfer from your overseas bank account?

Get the picture? Thai Immigration does...that's why they scrapped the 'money in the bank' option. You can only stay here if you are getting money coming into your account from another source...then of course if it's not coming from ourseas, it's taxable in Thailand. That's the next step..

Get the picture? Thai Immigration does...that's why they scrapped the 'money in the bank' option. You can only stay here if you are getting money coming into your account from another source...then of course if it's not coming from ourseas, it's taxable in Thailand. That's the next step..

Have to agree that I've come to believe that the new rules implemented 1st October 2006 were more about the Thai authorities finding out how Farangs can live here all year round, where does the money come from, and can the revenue dept find a way to impose some sort of tax.

On the Phuket Forum we recently had a lively topic on foreign income being considered for issue of no-imm visa and/or year extensions. My view was that only a genuine certified (by embassy) pension of at least 65,000 baht/month OR 800,000 baht in bank AND 50+ was the only foreign income considered for the one year extenion. Other ways for the one year would be WP and 65,000 baht/month income, or a Thai wife with joint income of 40,000 baht/month.

From my point of view the income route saves me holding the money in a Thai bank, and now for at least 3 months every year. But I'm fortunate to have a Thai income myself and also my Thai wife has income.

There have been a couple of members posting that they were forced into changing to an extension based on income because they had the required income. Whether there was a directive from immigration head office to the rural offices to switch applicants wherever possible I do not know, but this possibility cannot be excluded as it seems to be happening at more than one office.

--

Maestro

Here is my experience when I renewed my Non-Imm-O based on marriage in May this year:

For the past two years I've used the deposit in bank even though I have a WP. Due to the changes in Oct.'06 I was prepared to go either way (Bank or combined income).

We gave all docs related to bank deposit to the officer and all was accepted. The officer then found in my file that I have a WP (in the past I used income + bank deposit) and asked about it. I confirmed and when asked about income I told her that we have over 40K combined income.

When I was just trying to give her the income related papers she waved them away and said "I don't want to see. use bank only. more easy." (her words)

This was at Suan Plu in BKK.

My question is: why do people talk about a "paper chase" when one goes the income route if the income is from within Thailand?

All the required tax papers are readily available, some from the company (form1) and private tax returns (form 90/91).

opalhort

Think I started the paper chase idea, so I'll answer. Here's what had to supply Nov 2006 (in duplicate) for a ONE YEAR EXTENSION on a prior non-imm visa.

My passport (every page, and it's a jumbo)

Wife ID papers

House papers

My WP (every page of blue book)

Our joint tax returns & paid receipts for the previous year

Compay registation docs

Company audit for previous year

Bank books (joint & individual, all pages)

Marriage certificate

That's a thick wedge of paper ...... :o

Edited by LivinginKata

Yes, it is a thick bunch of papers, but all of them are readily available.

Why do you say "in duplicate"? One copy and original was OK in the past.

When you mentioned paper chase I was concerned that now we have to get all the docs certified by the various government departments as it seems to be the case if the income is from abroad.

opalhort

Need 2 copies. One held by local Immigration office and the other goes to Bangkok HQ for approval. To me that a paper chase compared with the 'money-in-the-bank' route which only needed (in previous years !!)......

Copy my passport

Copy Wife ID

Copy marriage certificate.

Original letter from bank & certified copy of bank book.

Obviously there is also the application form and interview, which officer types up.

Edited by LivinginKata

Need 2 copies. One held by local Immigration office and the other goes to Bangkok HQ for approval. To me that a paper chase compared with the 'money-in-the-bank' route which only needed (in previous years !!)......

Copy my passport

Copy Wife ID

Obviously there is also the application form and interview, which officer types up.

I have been following this discussion with interest as I am due to change from a Non.Imm."B" to a Non.Imm."O' in the next 5 months. I am 62, married to a Thai national and have been working for the last 5 years. However I plan to cease working (I have been paying taxes) and retire upcountry. I have more than the B40,000 a month income from outside Thailand but am curious as to whether the Thai immigration office on Suan Phlu will accept an affidavit (sworn by me at the Canadian Embassy)and proof of income (into a bank in Canada) or does the money actually have to be seen to be deposited in a Thai bank account every month (B40,000) ?

Any help? :o

As can be seen from my own thread about Phuket Immigration, they still seem to be under the impression that 400,000 baht is required in the bank, even if one is not 'grandfathered'. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, it's 400k AND a 40,000 baht income as well...

Simon

40,000 Baht income. Prove by getting letter from embassy.

I was told the same thing when I was at the Chiang Mai Immigration today.

They said that they are not interested in the marrigae cert, no interested money in the bank and so on.

What they are interested is that produce evidence of your income per month.... minimum 40K per month.

any idea what paper work is required if your mrs is the one earning 40K per month ?

As far as I know it does not matter who earns the money, so I assume that the paperwork in just the same as I detailed earlier in this topic.

Quite honestly I see no reason why we had to supply copies of the company registration & accounts. Would have though WP, tax receipts & bank books would suffice. Anyone any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

You can check the last rules for immigration on the site:

print it before to go the the immigration office, if you are married with Thai, chapter 2, art. 7.17.

Copy my passport

Copy Wife ID

I have been following this discussion with interest as I am due to change from a Non.Imm."B" to a Non.Imm."O' in the next 5 months. I am 62, married to a Thai national and have been working for the last 5 years. However I plan to cease working (I have been paying taxes) and retire upcountry. I have more than the B40,000 a month income from outside Thailand but am curious as to whether the Thai immigration office on Suan Phlu will accept an affidavit (sworn by me at the Canadian Embassy)and proof of income (into a bank in Canada) or does the money actually have to be seen to be deposited in a Thai bank account every month (B40,000) ?

Any help? :o

A letter from your Canadian Embassy to certified your income is enough.

deposited in a Thai bank account every month (B40,000) ? - not required.

You can check the last rules for immigration on the site:

((edit)), print it before to go the the immigration office, if you are married with Thai, chapter 2, art. 7.17.

Malengone... thanks for that link. It's one of the more readable explanation of documents required. Much better than the Thai Immigration web sites. Thanks :o

I am curious as to the reasons foreigners on low finances would want to live in Thailand.

Foreigners should create their stay here with proper financial plans for the future and prepared for expected and unexpected eventualities, such as: increases in the money investment stakes, changes in immigration policies that may require more income & investments, not forgetting health problems/expenses. As we get older the more risk of health problems.

For someone 50 years old on a pension, they could live for another 30 plus and should be adequately financed for the future with the knowledge that more inflationary income will be required in the advancing years.

Whatever is the present visa stake imposed by immigration, long term visa applicants would be wise to have a least double those funds or even treble to ensure lower risk of no financial troubles for the foreseeable future, plus should have yearly incomes that yield inflationary increases a minimum of 3% per annum.

These incomes can be pensions, insurance, stocks or other investments.

Reading in between the lines of these posts, it seems that some are not jumping over hurdles, but rather trying to climb under them struggling to stay in Thailand because they have no money or on bare income.

Their lives must be pretty grim in their home countries for them to go through so much trouble to stay here, but their experiences do hold an advantage for others, that is they are a window as to how life in Thailand can be for those who don't plan properly their emigration to other countries.

Edited by distortedlink

I am curious as to the reasons foreigners on low finances would want to live in Thailand.

Foreigners should create their stay here with proper financial plans for the future and prepared for expected and unexpected eventualities, such as: increases in the money investment stakes, changes in immigration policies that may require more income & investments, not forgetting health problems/expenses. As we get older the more risk of health problems.

For someone 50 years old on a pension, they could live for another 30 plus and should be adequately financed for the future with the knowledge that more inflationary income will be required in the advancing years.

Whatever is the present visa stake imposed by immigration, long term visa applicants would be wise to have a least double those funds or even treble to ensure lower risk of no financial troubles for the foreseeable future, plus should have yearly incomes that yield inflationary increases a minimum of 3% per annum.

These incomes can be pensions, insurance, stocks or other investments.

Reading in between the lines of these posts, it seems that some are not jumping over hurdles, but rather trying to climb under them struggling to stay in Thailand because they have no money or on bare income.

Their lives must be pretty grim in their home countries for them to go through so much trouble to stay here, but their experiences do hold an advantage for others, that is they are a window as to how life in Thailand can be for those who don't plan properly their emigration to other countries.

How off topic can you get :D I don't rememebr any members trying to 'climb under hurdles'. We all just want to understand the financial requirements.

You sound like a pension saleman or professional financial planners. :o and that seems a 'grim' life to me.

Edited by LivinginKata