Paying The Bill

katastrophic

im out of this one - never met a ferang who speaks decent thai, they always try to complicate things kep tang / kip dang - say it say them both or are you justtrying to being clever. Ask your partner, wife or girlfriend if they speak any english

I've met a few who speak decent Thai. Better to ask your wife or girlfriend if they speak Thai :D

Perhaps he'd be better off learning to read a bit of Thai himself - if only to avoid self-embarrassment on a public Forum.

:o

Patrick

ส่งเงิน
I don't understand this one - in what context would this be used?

I think it should be สงเงิน (without the Mai-ek) the verb สง meaning to lift out or remove.

Patrick

edit for size of Thai letters

Edited by p_brownstone

ส่งเงิน
I don't understand this one - in what context would this be used?

I think it should be สงเงิน (without the Mai-ek) the verb สง meaning to lift out or remove.

Patrick

edit for size of Thai letters

สง - no mai-ek means to drain in a sieve

Soundman.

It's obvious we have transliteration problems here.

I am sure most of us can pronounce these phrases passably in real life, but how we choose to represent them in writing is another matter.

Some people use 'u' to represent 'sara a', others use 'a'... etc.

Before debunking another person's post only on the basis of transliteration, consider that we have different accents, come from different countries and have learned different systems of transcription.

Using the Thai spelling eradicates these types of misunderstandings. Unfortunately I have had to remove Thai language support from my system temporarily because one of the programs I use for work can not support Swedish Åå Ää Äö and Thai at the same time. :o

การส่งเงิน means remittance

การ gaan task ; work ; job Note: Word added before a verb to change it into a noun ...

ส่ง sòng send ; send something to someone

เงิน ngern money ; currency ; cash ; coin; silver

http://www.thai2english.com/search/%E0%B8%...%B8%B4%E0%B8%99

เก็บ เงิน gèp ngern

* [ V ] calculate ; count ; reckon ; work out accounts ; do accounts

* [ V ] save ; hoard ; accumulate ; collect money ; put aside

เก็บ gèp keep ; take in ; put away; collect ; gather ; keep ; pick up ; save

เงิน ngern money ; currency ; cash ; coin ; silver

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/25270.html

ส่ง sòng send ; send something to someone

http://www.thai2english.com/search/%E0%B8%...%B8%B4%E0%B8%99

คิดเงิน ( คิด-เงิน ) kít ngern

* [ V ] calculate ; count ; reckon ; work out accounts ; do accounts

คิด kít think ; consider ; imagine ; calculate ; guess

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/25807.html

เช็คบิล ( เช็ค-บิล- ) chék bin

* [ V ] ask for the bill ; figure out expenses ; reckon up the bill

* [ V ] take revenge ; avenge ; get even with ; vindicate ; revenge

เช็ค chék - check ; inspect ; examine ; cheque ; check ; draft

บิล bin - bill

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/4186.html

im out of this one - never met a ferang who speaks decent thai, they always try to complicate things kep tang / kip dang - say it say them both or are you justtrying to being clever. Ask your partner, wife or girlfriend if they speak any english

"Kip dang" ? Can't find that phrase. I think it should be "Gep tang".

14 years in thailand ,thai son 12 years ,thai wife 13 years: no problem with kip dang - my wife has just confirmed not that i needed her to, my son also. Kip dang nothing fancy or clever i have used this term literaly thousands of times and never been musunderstood its as widely understood as check bin and that is an absoulute fact

After 13 years maybe your wife says "Yes" meaning "No, but I can't be bothered to explain it." :o

I don't see a legitimate transliteration difference in the case of "kip":

1. If, as one suggested, it is pronounced "keep" (as in "sleep) and is from a regional dailect, then the poster should say so, because we generally and sensibly deal with Central Thai here - except when pointing out and explaining the various regional differences.

2. If "kip" (as in "bit/kit/hit/sit/) is meant to represent เก็บ, it is not a transliteration difference, it is just plain wrong. There is nothing in that little word that resembles the English short "i" - not in Central Thai.

3. If it is a matter of mangling a basic word and managing to be understood, then congratulations; but that's not a good reason to insist that others to do likewise.

If and when words are actually spoken (by Thai people, not any given farang) in a manner different than Central Thai, that should be duly noted on this forum, for the sake of keeping transliteration confusion slightly below the absolute maximum.

anybody know the thai for "splitting hairs" :o

y' never know what will come up in these forums; you ask a facetious question, you get a serious answer:

From Lexitorn:

split hairs [iDM] ; แยกความแตกต่างในสิ่งเล็กน้อยๆ

Related. แยกความต่างในสิ่งที่มันไม่ต่างกันมากมายจนเป็นสิ่งสำคัญนัก.

The second sentence looks like the equivalent of "making a mountain out of a molehill."

I submit that if you are in a restaurant, having completed your meal and finished your beer, if you raise your hand and gesticulate appropriately to the steely-eyed matron of the house whose loins are girded with a formidable belt cinched to a multi-zippered purse, you can then articulate anything from “Rule Britannia” to “Yankee Doodle Dandy” and she will bring the check to you. Alternatively, she will whip out her calculator or note pad and calculate your bill right there at the table. Your articulation need not even come close to what a Thai might say, but she will immediately grasp the import of your actions. Just relax and enjoy; restaurants are one of the great happy venues in Thailand.

I submit that if you are in a restaurant, having completed your meal and finished your beer, if you raise your hand and gesticulate appropriately to the steely-eyed matron of the house whose loins are girded with a formidable belt cinched to a multi-zippered purse, you can then articulate anything from “Rule Britannia” to “Yankee Doodle Dandy” and she will bring the check to you. Alternatively, she will whip out her calculator or note pad and calculate your bill right there at the table. Your articulation need not even come close to what a Thai might say, but she will immediately grasp the import of your actions. Just relax and enjoy; restaurants are one of the great happy venues in Thailand.

You seem to have had a very mellow weekend!

But you're right of course - and in any case the "International" geature of writing in air while looking meaningfully at the waiter / waitress will get you the Bill in the Normandie Grill or Ah Mas' roadside Noodle Stall.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

You seem to have had a very mellow weekend!

But you're right of course - and in any case the "International" geature of writing in air while looking meaningfully at the waiter / waitress will get you the Bill in the Normandie Grill or Ah Mas' roadside Noodle Stall.

Patrick

The international method works without fail, but just to add to the discussion, Thais will often get the waitress's attention and then do a little counter-clockwise circle with the pointer finger, pointing that finger towards the table, as if to say "total these things up please."

Indeed! :D

But look at it the other way round... if someone on a Thai forum in England told his fellow expatriates that you should say "Bile piss" instead of "Bill please", I think it's right that other more knowledgeable folks should correct him, even if he's been saying it for 14 years. :D

Indeed! :D

But look at it the other way round... if someone on a Thai forum in England told his fellow expatriates that you should say "Bile piss" instead of "Bill please", I think it's right that other more knowledgeable folks should correct him, even if he's been saying it for 14 years. :D

Too right, Jetset.

And sure, there are a lot of ways, including outrageously crude ones, in which you can make your farang intentions known and end up with the desired results. Call it splitting hairs if you like, but I'd have thought proper pronunciation was important, at the very least on the "Thai Language" forum.

I'm fairly certain that I didn't get lost and wandered by mistake into the "How to get on with Pattaya bar-girls" forum." :D

David,

Congratulations. You have cut through all this academia to the nub of the discussion. It's all a matter of communication and being understood. I am a newbie to Thailand and, as yet, can speak, read and write virtually no Thai making me effectively deaf and dumb. I do not dread going out to shops, restaurants or bars, in spite of my temporary impediment. In a restaurant I simply attract the attention of any member of staff by raising my hand. When noticed (eye contact), I simply rub my index finger and thumb together or show my wallet. They instantly get the message and promptly present my bill. I particularly like your description of 'steely-eye Mamma and all after.

Thanks for the smile and the grit.

Alex8

The last time I was in LOS, I had just finished a meal and I asked the lady with me to call for the bill. I expected her to say "check bin", but instead she said something like "gep tung". I tried saying this at a bar one night and was presented with the bill. Can anyone tell me what this means, and if it is in common use, as I cannot find it on any translation sites.

Thanks for your help on this, and in fact thanks to all the contributers to this site who give up their time to help others.

That was the original post on this thread, ergo: "the nub of the discussion."

I just kinda circle my forefinger in a downward motion like my girlfriend taught me. Works everywhere! :D

Do farangland have body language for check bill like us do? :D

My dad told me that his friend told him if circle forefinger in an upward motion,

it's mean we want to order all plates on the table one more set but I think it's just a joke. :o

Edited by LookSaMoon

I just kinda circle my forefinger in a downward motion like my girlfriend taught me. Works everywhere! :D

Do farangland have body language for check bill like us do? :D

My dad told me that his friend told him if circle forefinger in an upward motion,

it's mean we want to order all plates on the table one more set but I think it's just a joke. :o

I've often lain awake at night wondering what that gesture actually means - you say - "more plates"?

I thought it meant, "play the music now".