Paying The Bill

katastrophic

The last time I was in LOS, I had just finished a meal and I asked the lady with me to call for the bill. I expected her to say "check bin", but instead she said something like "gep tung". I tried saying this at a bar one night and was presented with the bill. Can anyone tell me what this means, and if it is in common use, as I cannot find it on any translation sites.

Thanks for your help on this, and in fact thanks to all the contributers to this site who give up their time to help others.

The last time I was in LOS, I had just finished a meal and I asked the lady with me to call for the bill. I expected her to say "check bin", but instead she said something like "gep tung". I tried saying this at a bar one night and was presented with the bill. Can anyone tell me what this means, and if it is in common use, as I cannot find it on any translation sites.

Thanks for your help on this, and in fact thanks to all the contributers to this site who give up their time to help others.

"gep tung" literally means "collect the money." "Tung" is a shortened version of สตางค์ - "sa-tung" (the word for fractions of one baht, same as "cents" or "pence.")

A long time ago, that was real money, and the word is still used to refer to money in the general sense. One very common lament is: "mai mee tung" (I ain't got no money...)

So, yes, "gep tung" is one common way to ask for the bill.

Edited by mangkorn

In fact, "check bin" is a neologism from English; I only heard this in the last few years. Before this I only heard and used "kep tang."

I was advised, rightly or wrongly, to use 'check bin' in a cafe or general bar and 'gep-tang' in a more high class establishment ? I usually do this and if not sure I say 'gep-tang' as its politer. Is that correct???

"Gep Stang" is more polite but these days it's regarded as rather "old fashioned" and most Thais tend to say "check bin" instead.

I was taught many years ago to say "gep stang" and although I try to move with the times as it were it's rather stuck in my mind, I do sometimes get rather amused / bemused looks when I use it however.

Patrick

I was advised, rightly or wrongly, to use 'check bin' in a cafe or general bar and 'gep-tang' in a more high class establishment ? I usually do this and if not sure I say 'gep-tang' as its politer. Is that correct???

"Gep Stang" is more polite but these days it's regarded as rather "old fashioned" and most Thais tend to say "check bin" instead.

I was taught many years ago to say "gep stang" and although I try to move with the times as it were it's rather stuck in my mind, I do sometimes get rather amused / bemused looks when I use it however.

Patrick

I wonder if the impression that it is "old fashioned" is just regional. From my time in the Essan and North I've found it to be a perfectly contemporary way of asking for the bill. However, I don't hear it said with the full satang. I wonder if the looks you get are from pronouncing the s+a sound rather than just "geb tang" without the 's.'

For what it's worth, my wife tends to use 'check bin' in the more upscale places, and 'geb tang' in simpler restaurants.

I was also given the advice about 'geb ngoen' being a politer way when I studied. It probably is, but I cannot recall ever hearing it used. Have you heard Thais use it themselves withnail?

Here's an interesting quote from the authoritative source, ThailandBike, at http://www.thailandbike.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1783&pid=19535&mode=threaded&show=&st=&:

"เรื่องอาหารการกิน ถ้าสั่งก๋วยเตี๋ยวเส้นเล็กจะไม่ได้เส้นขนาดเล็ก ควรสั่งเส้นหมี่จะขนาดเล็กตามที่ต้องการ ระวังพนักงานเก็บสตางค์จะมาเช็คบิลเมื่อกินเสร็จ"

"About food and eating [on this trip]: if your order 'kuey tio' of the small noodle variety, you will not get small noodles. You should request 'sen mii' and you will get the size of noodles that you are looking for. Watch for the cashier; she will come around and collect your money when you have finished eating."

Here, the word "เก็บสตางค์" [gèp sà-dtaang ] is used to define the cashier, "พนักงานเก็บสตางค์" [pá-nák ngaan gèp sà-dtaang], whereas the term "เช็คบิล" [chék bin] is used for the act of collecting the money. How spiffy is that!

For what it's worth, my wife tends to use 'check bin' in the more upscale places, and 'geb tang' in simpler restaurants.

I was also given the advice about 'geb ngoen' being a politer way when I studied. It probably is, but I cannot recall ever hearing it used. Have you heard Thais use it themselves withnail?

I think I've heard my girlfriend say it but I may be wrong. I'll listen out in future. Shouldn't take long she prefers eating in up scale places unfortunately.

For more upscale places, I would use "check bill".

For simpler restaurants - "kid ngoen duay krap/kha", "geb ngoen duay krap/ kha", "geb tang duay krap/kha", depends on my mood. :o Adding 'duay khap/kha" is for asking their attention and sound politer.

Could it be because the bill will be rather more than a few satang?

Patrick

I wonder if the impression that it is "old fashioned" is just regional. From my time in the Essan and North I've found it to be a perfectly contemporary way of asking for the bill. However, I don't hear it said with the full satang. I wonder if the looks you get are from pronouncing the s+a sound rather than just "geb tang" without the 's.'

Suspect it could be Bangkok/big city viewing it as old fashioned because it is widely used in the middle South where I live.

What she was saying was kip dang (phonetcally speaking). kip dang is slightly informal a bit like how much. Very very commonly used - usaully kip dang kap or ka

If you say kip dang everyone will understand

What she was saying was kip dang (phonetcally speaking). kip dang is slightly informal a bit like how much. Very very commonly used - usaully kip dang kap or ka

If you really mean to say it with the English vowel sound "i" then I am pretty certain that not many people will understand it all. Or is this yet another transliteration problem?

If you really mean to say it with the English vowel sound "i" then I am pretty certain that not many people will understand it all. Or is this yet another transliteration problem?

14 years in thailand ,thai son 12 years ,thai wife 13 years: no problem with kip dang - my wife has just confirmed not that i needed her to, my son also. Kip dang nothing fancy or clever i have used this term literaly thousands of times and never been musunderstood its as widely understood as check bin and that is an absoulute fact

For more upscale places, I would use "check bill".

For simpler restaurants - "kid ngoen duay krap/kha", "geb ngoen duay krap/ kha", "geb tang duay krap/kha", depends on my mood. :D Adding 'duay khap/kha" is for asking their attention and sound politer.

I'm glad you've mentioned the "duay". My g/f always says "geb tang duay kha" and explained to me that the "duay" was to make it polite (even though she's shouting across several tables at the waitress picking her nails... :o )

14 years in thailand ,thai son 12 years ,thai wife 13 years: no problem with kip dang - my wife has just confirmed not that i needed her to, my son also. Kip dang nothing fancy or clever i have used this term literaly thousands of times and never been musunderstood its as widely understood as check bin and that is an absoulute fact

Yes, I agree entirely. Although I will say it seems to be more used in the south, in Phuket and other regions outside Bangkok. I use it more often than Chek bin, and never get any bemused looks.

Yes, I agree entirely. Although I will say it seems to be more used in the south, in Phuket and other regions outside Bangkok. I use it more often than Chek bin, and never get any bemused looks.

How do you spell that?

How do you spell that?

If you say kip as in sleep and dang as in ding dang - kip dang thats it. Some post said they use kit tung - kit tung is think about nothing to do with a bill or receipt.

some people seem to try to be to clever - KISS keep it simple stupid - is a good policy

How do you spell that?

Sorry I was referring to Kep Tang.

How do you spell that?

Sorry I was referring to Kep Tang.

im out of this one - never met a ferang who speaks decent thai, they always try to complicate things kep tang / kip dang - say it say them both or are you justtrying to being clever. Ask your partner, wife or girlfriend if they speak any english

In an attempt to clarify (as much as possible given the problems of transliteration):

1) “Kit” means to think or calculate

“Gep” means to collect

2) “Stang” (sometimes abbreviated to “ ‘tang” ) means money

“Ngern” also means money (literally Silver)

So basically one can use any combination of 1) + 2) above to ask for the bill.

Some people may pronounce “ ‘tang” as “tung” in these examples, however “Kit tung” or as I would spell it “Kit teung” actually means to think about or miss someone.

As I say, it can be confusing when trying to spell Thai words using the roman alphabet.

Patrick

How do you spell that?

If you say kip as in sleep and dang as in ding dang - kip dang thats it. Some post said they use kit tung - kit tung is think about nothing to do with a bill or receipt.

some people seem to try to be to clever - KISS keep it simple stupid - is a good policy

BBC - better to be correct :o

im out of this one - never met a ferang who speaks decent thai, they always try to complicate things kep tang / kip dang - say it say them both or are you justtrying to being clever. Ask your partner, wife or girlfriend if they speak any english

I've met a few who speak decent Thai. Better to ask your wife or girlfriend if they speak Thai :D

Edited by Neeranam

I think I've heard my girlfriend say it but I may be wrong. I'll listen out in future. Shouldn't take long she prefers eating in up scale places unfortunately.

Not related to finalising your bill after eating - however the phrases:

เก็บเงิน and ส่งเงิน gep ngern and song ngern are commonly used when dealing with cash registers ie skimming the till at certain times of the day & closing it at the end of the day.

Cheers,

Soundman.